Been A Long Time, Need Help Trip Planning!

FayeW

DIS Veteran
Pulled the pin yesterday and booked a trip to Orlando for Nov 29 - Dec 6th. Staying at Melia Orlando Suites in Celebration. Last time I was in Orlando was 2015 and did one day/2 park at Universal, and MVMCP only. Last time we were in the other parks was 2008. We have one day left on our "non expiring park hopper plus" tickets that I bought in 2005. I know NOTHING about booking fast passes in advance except that now we apparently have to do that, but I assume that because my tickets are so old that will not be an option for us. I've taken a look at the dates for MVMVP for Dec, and the open/close hours for the parks but I am going to need your help with sorting out a schedule. This is what I know so far:

1) We will not try to do all 4 parks in one day! We will use our single day park hopper to go to DHS and Epcot. Would like to do DHS in the morning and go to Epcot mid/late afternoon, and see Candlelight Processional (is that even a thing anymore?) Thinking that Wed Dec 3 or Thurs Dec 4th would be best for this because park hours show MK open at 8 AM, and AK open late til 7 PM. If we choose Dec 3rd, there is also MVCMP going on. Can't figure out whether that would mean more or less crowds at Epcot, lol.

2) We will buy MVMCP tickets for either Dec 1 or Dec 3rd. Based on above, I'm thinking Sunday, Dec 1st would be best for that.

3) We have several "Plus" features left on our tickets, and each water park will be open for at least a portion of our trip. Thinking that Saturday, Nov 30th would be a good day for Typhoon Lagoon (closes for rehab on Wed); and Thursday Dec 5th would work for Blizzard Beach (opens from rehab on Wed). That way we have a nice, easy, relaxing day before our early morning flight on Friday.

4) We will be doing 2 Park/1 Day at Universal, as last time my husband was in Orlando they were building Wizarding World of Harry Potter, so this is a must do. I'm thinking that Wed, Dec 4th would be the best day for this (assuming you all agree with my plan to use my park hopper for DHS and Epcot on Tues Dec 3rd).

5) At some point, we have to eat at 'Ohana. Like Universal, it is a must do. With the loose plan outlined above we could do that arrival night (Friday), Sat, Mon or Thurs. With our start date running into the tail end of American Thanksgiving week, I feel like getting a weekend reservation will probably not be possible.

If you've followed along this far, thank you! I think going anywhere near any of the Disney or Universal parks on Friday or Saturday would be a mistake, as Thanksgiving guests will be out in force. This is what I am thinking:

Friday, Nov 29th: Arrive MCO 10:20 AM. Arrive Melia Orlando approximately 12:00 PM. Pick up some groceries, relax and enjoy the pool and happy hour food and drinks. Early flight so early bedtime.

Saturday, Nov 30th: Typhoon Lagoon.

Sunday, Dec 1st: MVMCP

Monday, Dec 2nd: Pool time, Factory Outlet Shopping. Or a beach day (never been to a Florida beach).

Tuesday, Dec 3rd: Park hop. DHS in the morning, Epcot afternoon/evening

Wed, Dec 4th: Universal 2 Parks, all day

Thurs, Dec 5th: Blizzard Beach and/or shopping or beach day.

Does this look reasonable? Do you more experienced folks think that I should change anything here?

ETA: No reservations available for Ohana during our stay, but I did book Ale and Compass for the Candlelight Processional for Dec 3rd. I'd rather have Via Napoli so I'll keep checking back.

Last edited:
You will still be able to book FP in advance even with an old ticket. Make sure it is linked to MDE, and then you will be able to book 30 days before (assuming your hotel is not one that offers 60 day booking - I am not familiar with that hotel). If you're going to DHS early, then I would probably book my FP for Epcot in the afternoon.

Yes, Candlelight Processional is still a thing, but I don't know any details (just know I've been seeing the announcements of narrators this year on some of the boards/groups).

I'd probably switch your MVMCP and Park hop days.

I am not an expert WDW planner like some of the people on the Dis but I think this is a reasonable schedule (and a fun one)

The only thing I personally would not do is a beach day. For me, that time of the year is too cold for the beach and I would hate to waste the time driving out and then not really having a true beach experience.

One thing we do when we go to the Christmas party is hit the Winterland Summerland mini golf. I know it sounds corny but it is Christmas themed and done very well so we have kind of made it a tradition.

I like that you have built Blizzard Beach into the last day as you might need a bit of a rest after the two solid park days on the 3rd and 4th and there is nothing quite like the lazy river for sore and tired feet.

We went during that week in 2017 and it was amazing! We were there for 12 nights, arriving right after US Thanksgiving and stayed until December 10. Here are a couple of thoughts:

1. Candlelight Processional is absolutely worth it. They've already released most of the narrators for this year. December 3 will be Neil Patrick Harris, who seems to be very sought after, so it's a great idea to do the dining package. Keep checking for Via Napoli. There's a chance it'll open up, but Neil Patrick Harris nights are extremely popular.

2. We had amazing weather (like 25 celcius everyday with zero rain) when we were there, but our last day it got very cold and wet. Neither water park was open due to inclement weather, so I'd suggest having a back-up plan for the water parks, if the weather doesn't cooperate.

3. We haven't done MVMCP, but I think you can enter the park at like 4:00 (maybe even earlier?) on event days if you have tickets, which will give you a little more time in the park before the party.

4. Days with MVMCP scheduled make the other parks quite a bit busier, but I imagine the crowds will be evenly spread out and won't hit one park harder than others. With your Candlelight Processional reservation planned, you will still get to experience a lot at Epcot whether it is crowded or not. We actually just got back from our most recent trip a couple weeks ago, and honestly with the amount of work they are doing at Epcot right now, it never really seemed busy at all. It was by far the most manageable park.

Have fun planning!

2. We had amazing weather (like 25 celcius everyday with zero rain) when we were there, but our last day it got very cold and wet. Neither water park was open due to inclement weather, so I'd suggest having a back-up plan for the water parks, if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Definitely agree with this. We were there last year in the last week of November and the water park (one was already closed for annual refurb) was closed several of the days on our trip due to cold temperatures.

Hopefully you'll have great weather but you'll want a backup plan for those days for sure.

One thing I would add is going to some of the resorts to see their decorations. A couple of years ago we went late Nov/early Dec for 10 days. The not to miss resorts are the Deluxe resorts in the MK area, special notice is WL and GF were particularly amazing. The Epcot resorts, BC/YC, and AKL.
We also had great weather.

But we’ve been at wdw in winter before and weather can be anything from warm and sunny to freezing with morning frost on the grass. Weather in Orlando is so unpredictable. I think looking at weather predictions closer to your trip before planning out waterpark or beach days will be the way to go. I like Accuweather.

For Universal I’ve always stayed on site so get the early entry mornings. And Express Pass. Without that I’d get to the park without early admission by 8:30 if opening is 9:00 and go directly to Harry Potter area. Usually it’s Islands of Adventure. Do what you want there then take the Hogwarts Express train to Diagon Alley in the Studios. Continue on in that park then later go back to Islands of Adventure. Depending on crowds it would be worth it to purchase Express Pass since you only have one day, you’ll be able to get a lot more done and less waiting in queues.

I love exploring the resorts because we have never, ever stayed onsite! If the weather is not conducive to waterpark or beach days, checking out the deluxe resort decorations is a great idea. I have always wanted to see ICE at Gaylord Palms, so that would be a great option too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter