Bees at AKL?

SLK1

DIS Veteran
We stayed a few nights at Kidani Village and went to the pool one day. There were bees everywhere! We just packed up and went back to our room. Not too disappointing as it was HOT and the pool water was HOT as well.

Bees were an issue last week at several of the pools we visited - especially at the Paddock pool at SSR. They gravitate to the beverage stations, but they were all over the pool area. Pretty typical for August, IMO. Less flowers blooming than spring & early summer, so bees look for other "food" sources.

Bees/wasps can also be a problem at Jambo with the thatch roof area - just the type of area they love to hang out.

DH is rabidly anti-flying insect so I had lots of quiet time on the balcony in May. :rotfl:

Late summer is a time for the fliers to become more attracted to human food - often meat or sweets.

We spent Labor Day Weekend at All Star Sports a few years ago.
Our son had his mug of soda at the pool with the lid on but in the open position where a straw would go, a bee got in. He got stung as he took a drink.
Nasty, nasty!

We were at SSR last October and the bees were BAD at the main pool by the soda refill station. DH is allergic to bee stings so he had to be extra careful. There were also a lot of bees at BB and TL. However this April we didn't notice any bees at BWV or TL.

We spent Labor Day Weekend at All Star Sports a few years ago.
Our son had his mug of soda at the pool with the lid on but in the open position where a straw would go, a bee got in. He got stung as he took a drink.
Nasty, nasty!

oh, my!
that is really horrid - poor kid must have been afraid to drink anything for days afterwards.

a few years back, we stayed at AKL (not villas). first thing we did (as always) was to go out on the balcony to check out our view.
within seconds, we had wasps flying all around us - and saw a wasp nest on the balcony (we assume the previous ppl never used the balcony b/c this nest was big enough to take some time to build:scared:).

of course, we called maint and left - thankfully, it was gone by the time we got back.

snakes, mice, etc don't scare me. wasps, hornets, and angry bees seem to appear out of nowhere, fly faster than i can run, and inflict pain quickly - that scares the heck out of me :guilty:

Our last stay at Jambo in 2011 (August) the bees were aweful!! We are staying again the end of September. I am praying they are not as bad, as I am severely allergic.

We did a split stay of BWV/AKV last year in August, and then a BWV stay just 2 weeks ago. I don't remember an issue with bees at BWV either trip, but DO remember them being a problem at AKV. Someone sitting nearby at the pool was even stung. I remember spending extra time in the pool because there were fewer bees there than by the lounge chairs.

We were staying in a Jambo House GV. There was a wasp nest in the thatched roof, but they came in and sprayed for us when we called. There were still the bluish mud wasps that hung around, but they never really bothered us and I eventually got used to them. And this is coming from someone who is extremely terrified of all bees and wasps!!

Last summer we stayed at BCV in August and the bees at Stormalong Bay were horrendous. I guess there's only so much that can be done?

As soon as the RFID soda machines go online, the bees won't be able to get any more free drinks.

That should take care of the problem. :rolleyes1

:earsboy: Bill

Bees were an issue last week at several of the pools we visited - especially at the Paddock pool at SSR. They gravitate to the beverage stations, but they were all over the pool area. Pretty typical for August, IMO. Less flowers blooming than spring & early summer, so bees look for other "food" sources.

We just got back late last night from 8 nights at SSR & the bees were horrible at the Paddock pool. They were swarming all over the gutters that go around the pool. I could've counted a couple dozen at any one time.

We were at the Kidani pool yesterday early evening and saw quite a few dead bees floating in the pool. Didn't notice any flying around though.

We found out that my DS is allergic to bee stings... at the Kidani pool a couple summers ago. :headache: He stepped on one in the splash area - there were lots of bees on the ground all around the pool deck. The lifeguard who took care of my DS insisted that we hang out near him for 15 minutes to see if my DS was allergic - because the guard had been stung the same way a few weeks prior and found out the hard way, too, that he's allergic. Seems to be an ongoing problem...

Hi we are at Kidani now - there are a few bees around but not uncomfortably so. They are mainly around the drinks machine and trash area by the pool bar. They appear to be attracted by sugary fizzy drinks especially with drink hole open - best to close the hole and move cup away from your bed and you should be fine!!!

Not seen many at all on balcony or by fire pit

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter