Best big roller coaster to start with

nevertoo muchdisney

Earning My Ears
I have done all of the small and some of the medium coasters at Disney. I’m going to Disney first and then universal this trip. I plan to do tron and Everest this trip. What coaster would be a good first big coaster to go on for someone who has never been on an inverting or very high roller coaster, rock n roller, rip rocket, or hulk?

RnRC is a shorter ride, fun for a first one. Otherwise, Velocicoaster. It's way smoother than RRR and Hulk, and way more fun, but quite intense.
Editing to add, I do find RNRC rough now, but RRR is the worst .

Last edited:

Try RnR first, then maybe Rocket. For some reason I really love that slow vertical climb.

Reports coming in is that Rockit has gotten really rough and unpleasant. Maybe not the best choice for a first Big Ride.

Reports coming in is that Rockit has gotten really rough and unpleasant. Maybe not the best choice for a first Big Ride.
Rockit has been rickety for as long as I can remember. It feels like the old wood coaster. Agreed it's not a good choice for people who want a smoother ride.

Rock n Roller Coaster was my first "big" coaster and what taught me that I hate big coasters lol. I do think it's a better option that Hulk or Rip Ride Rockit.

I think Guardians is a good option too. It's fairly "intense' but in a very different way than inverted coasters. It's about my limit on intensity and I love it.

Rock'n'Roller Coaster would be my vote. Rip Ride Rockit is brutal and I would never go on that again and definitely would not make it anyone's initial coaster, lol. There are far better options at UO.

How can y'all put down my beloved Rockit like that? Just kidding.

What about Hagrid's as another option?

65 year old roller coaster fanatic. Rockin hurts my older neck and shoulders, which doesn’t stop me from riding. But it bangs your head about a bit and I wouldn’t do it first. At Disney, I would start with riding BTMM in the back row a few times to get in the mood. Then I would ride Guardians, because it is smooth and has music and a storyline.mAfter that, Everest, then Rockin.

At Universal, I would ride Hagrid, then Hulk because it launches immediately, then Velociraptor, then Rockit , because the climb is so long, and it hurts a bit.

My friend who doesn't like coasters (mainly because of drops) loves Hagrids. She has no issues with RnRC. Refuses to do the Hulk, RRR, or Velocicoaster.

If you're going to do one of Universal's "big 3," I nominate Velocicoaster because it is very smooth & the theming is lovely. But I think RRR is the least intense, although the most jostle-y. However, Hulk & RRR are "just coasters" with no ride theming of any value.

Go big or go home. Velicicoaster or Hulk.

Do front row on Velici but not on Hulk. Not that it is too scary but IMO you can see the inversion from the take off which takes some of the thrill away. IN the middle or back and it looks like you are shooting to the sky.

Rock n Rollercoaster was my first real roller coaster, back in 2004(?). I still remember crying the entire line and my dad budging at the last minute by the chicken exit (😅). I ended up giving it a try and wanted to ride again. It being dark helped a lot. I did smack my head pretty good when it started, so make sure you tell them to keep their head back (I was reading the sign right as it started😂).

I haven’t had the chance to ride it since but would if I could. I can’t do roller coasters any more unfortunately.

I generally don't ride Rockit for that reason anymore. I can handle anything in terms of drops, inversions, speed, etc. but some of these coasters are literally just painful now which removes most of the fun. RnR and Hulk are even getting a little bumpy compared to what they were when they first came out - but still fine. Velocicoaster and Tron on the the other hand, are just wonderfully smooth rides throughout.

As someone with a prior neck injury, I avoid Rip Ride Rockit and Hulk due to their rougher rides.

Regardless, I'd put them in this order as far as thrill level: Hagrid's (which you didn't mention, but it's so good it bears mentioning), Rock 'n' Rollercoaster (quite smooth and over fast), Rockit (ouch!), Hulk (oof!), Velocicoaster (unbelievably smooth ride despite incredible speed and impressive height, and my favorite coaster of all time).

Rock n Roller coaster it is fun and still tame. Tron is no preview for RNR nor Everest.
The coasters at Universal are far more extreme although far from extreme. Rip Rocket I will warn the ride up makes you feel like you may fall out as it is almost vertical but was a great coaster last I went on it.
There is nothing a either park most people who like coasters will be uncomfortable on with maybe a bit of fear.... The larger the loop in a coaster the more comfortable it will be going through it,
If it matters going beyond what universal has or what is really extreme like King da Ka can be uncomfortable especially when it launches and you quickly realize it is not the coaster that is shaking but you skin flapping form the G force. Hyper coaster can are about as extreme as you can go without having a real level of discomfort. Although I will take a more extreme wooden coaster any day.

Rockit is absolute agony. It physically hurts to ride this one. (For reference, I’m a fit 43yo roller coaster junkie with no back or neck problems.). I agree with the “go big or go home” comment. Velocicoaster is hands down the most fun ride on property. Do it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter