Best CP Positions?

BabyPiglet

DIS Veteran
In your opinions, what are some of the best CP positions? I'm thinking of applying and would love to know what some of the best were. Like...what to ask for.

I'm talking about things like Merchandise/Quick Service/Attractions/Character Attendent, etc.

personally dude, i worked in attractions and loved it.. merchandise/quick service f&b i feel are too much of a hassel... plus with attractions you get to be in character and interact with people a lot which is fun

In your opinions, what are some of the best CP positions? I'm thinking of applying and would love to know what some of the best were. Like...what to ask for.

I'm talking about things like Merchandise/Quick Service/Attractions/Character Attendent, etc.

I can personally tell you about 2 of the ones you mentioned. I did merchandise for my first CP (it was ok) and did character attendant for my second CP (absolutely loved it!).

I worked Attractions on my first program and really loved it! To me being in attractions is one of the best roles (non-character performer/attendent wise). In a few days I'll be starting my second program as a Character Performer so we will see how that goes.

I'm thinking of applying and would love to know what some of the best were.

I'll flat out tell you that your question is impossible to answer. Reason being that no one can put a blanket statement over any position since there are additional factors like location and management teams that play into it. Factors that you will have no control over.

Some people will love quick service. Others will say it is horrible. Some will love attractions, and you will get the reverse answer too. It all depends on where the role is located and it also depends on the person in it. No one can say what is the best role. What they can tell you is the role that they had and where they worked and if they liked it there.

Really, the only person who can say what is "best" or not is you.

What I will tell you is that if there is a job that you are on the fence about or don't think you will like, don't include that on your application. Only apply for the jobs that you think you will like. Don't say you are open to jobs that you really aren't open to. Be honest about that stuff. they want you to be honest.

I'll flat out tell you that your question is impossible to answer. Reason being that no one can put a blanket statement over any position since there are additional factors like location and management teams that play into it. Factors that you will have no control over.

Some people will love quick service. Others will say it is horrible. Some will love attractions, and you will get the reverse answer too. It all depends on where the role is located and it also depends on the person in it. No one can say what is the best role. What they can tell you is the role that they had and where they worked and if they liked it there.

Really, the only person who can say what is "best" or not is you.

What I will tell you is that if there is a job that you are on the fence about or don't think you will like, don't include that on your application. Only apply for the jobs that you think you will like. Don't say you are open to jobs that you really aren't open to. Be honest about that stuff. they want you to be honest.

I didn't put food service on my app. When I had the phone interview she asked me if I wanted to do it and I just told her no. I got picked for custodial, so I really don't care what park it is in,even though MK is stroller hell!!!

As others have said, its really hard to tell what you would like or dislike.

There are just way too many factors in your position.

Quick Service - I would absolutely hate Quick service. Ive been to many a place in the parks and resorts and to see all those lines with people in a hurry to eat makes me want to cringe.

Custodial - Some will love the freedom it brings because you spend alot of time on your own. Some will hate it when they see their schedule and realize they have 10 hours of cleaning bathrooms.

Merchandise - Hit or miss depending on your location. Job is pretty much the same no matter where you go. You will be on the cash register or dealing with stock the majority of the time.

Attractions - Depends on which one you get. I dont know many that dont like doing the safari, even though there is a ton of stuff to memorize on it. Others love the more popular rides where they can meet celebrities. Could suck too....spending 8 hrs a day hearing "Its a small world " or having some of the less popular attractions tends to bore people.

Characters - Many love this job and a few hate it. All depends on what you get cast as. The ones that I personally know that dont like it are the ones that got cast in one role, then moved to another. Imagine coming here to do Ariel for your CP, yet for 95% of your program you are some furry dinosaur that no one has ever heard of hidden in dinoland.

Hospitality - I liked this job. Pretty much guaranteed to work at the front desk of a resort. You dont work at the parks, so its still a thrill to go...you work in a climate controlled enviroment ..so your never standing for hours in the rain or heat ...job gets monotonous, but probably no better or worse relative to the others.

in general....I love Attractions!!! I also hear that Character Attendant is fun. You get to work globally ....so that's awesome

Okay, I was going back in forth in my head about rathar to be honest or not. I would be really comfortable with anything except custodial. My #1 pick would be attractions, is it difficult to get picked for this role?

Character attendant is great! It is so much fun to work at all 4 parks.

I was selected to do attractions this year for the CP. I hope to get that role next year when I reapply and am able to go. :yay: :thumbsup2

I worked in Fantasyland durring my college program. I thought that It's a Small World would be one of the worst places to work but I am finding now that I miss that ride the most. Yes there will be days no matter what you do that the thought what was I thinking will cross your mind but it goes away. Just have fun and make great friends, the how is not as important. :cheer2:

I didn't put food service on my app. When I had the phone interview she asked me if I wanted to do it and I just told her no. I got picked for custodial, so I really don't care what park it is in,even though MK is stroller hell!!!

i didn't put food service on my app and i said no in the phone interview too and guess where my first job was for my program...

cosmic ray's starlight cafe.

One role no one's mentioned that's great is Bibbidi bobbidi boutique hostess. You are technically in a merchandise position, but to your guests you're a charcter (Fairy-GodMother-In-Training) sometimes even more magical than the "normal" charcter. I watched a 7 year old who was just growing her hair back after chemo get a make-over with a hairstyle that included extensions. Her mom, FGIT, and the princess were all crying at the end it was the most rewarding day out of my 8 months there. It does have it's bad sides, standing all day, "magical moms" who always want there princesses hair to look a little different than it does, and even "magical" princesses including one who hit her FGIT when she didn't like what she was doing.

And for the record no, i didn't work at the boutique. I worked at World of Disney, the store the boutique at DTD is in. A few days a week I got to work register at the boutique so I got a really good feel for how things work in there and can pretty much answer any questions anyone has about the role.

I agree that nobody can tell you which jobs are "good" or "bad"...because each category has so many roles!

For ex....I was excited when I was assigned to "Attractions," but incredibly unhappy with my job in Pleasure Island. However, I'm sure there were many other roles which fall into that category that I would have enjoyed!

Good luck finding something you love!

ok i havnt done it yet but ive researched a lot and ive heard really good things about custodial but when i apply i hopefully will get attractions or hospitality since thats why i am going to major in

ok i havnt done it yet but ive researched a lot and ive heard really good things about custodial but when i apply i hopefully will get attractions or hospitality since thats why i am going to major in

I did custodial last summer (Epcot WS). It really wasn't that bad. It did have its moments (just like any of the roles) but one thing that was great was being able to just walk around, and not be stuck doing the same thing over and over.

Character attendant is great! It is so much fun to work at all 4 parks.

I was thinking of putting Character attendant as my 1st choice, So you dont work at the same place with the same character everyday?? How does it work, it sounds fun, and looks fun watching them in the parks.

I was thinking of putting Character attendant as my 1st choice, So you dont work at the same place with the same character everyday?? How does it work, it sounds fun, and looks fun watching them in the parks.

Nope. Character attendants are global, which means that they (we) get to work at all 4 parks. It is great, because I loved getting to move around. I had weeks where I worked at least all 4 parks. In fact, I had days where I worked at more then 1 park.

And you can work with any or every character, from regular meets to shows (like Dream Along with Mickey) to dining.

I was in Full Service Food & Beverage, and I while I didn't think much of the role before I came down (I was just "ok" with it), I was extremely satisfied that I had been offered it. I ended up being placed at 'Ohana (ironic, since I'm actually from Hawaii), a pretty great fast-paced location. There's a lot of dynamics in being a restaurant host or hostess, and you can really do a lot more than just seat tables if you want.

Of course, there's a lot of variables too. I think the role in some locations would be pretty sedate and uninteresting (take Grand Floridian Cafe or Yacht Club Galley), while other locations (like Chef Mickey's, and in some cases, my own restaurant) can be very intense and chaotic. That really does apply for a lot of roles, so your mileage could vary.

What was great about my location, and some other locations, is that there is some potential for development and growth, even while you're down on a program. Before I left, I was doing put on a lot of different posts- greeter, seater, assignor, GT, Disney Trainer and even did FOH coordinator once (a sub-role that doesn't really exist at the location) when our managers were unavailable and we had to bring someone in who was foreign to the location. You can definitely wiggle around in your role if you work at it. I did some other things too that were totally outside of my role and my location as part of a cross-u opportunity, which may be something that you could participate in if you want.

But yeah- I thought Full Service Food was a blast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter