Best Dolphin Swim

DISfirstTimer

Mouseketeer
We will be on Western Caribbean Cruise and I wish to do a dolphin swim with my 6 and 8yo. Which port would you recommend Cozumel or Grand Cayman and why? (It appears they are too young for Jamica).

I was given the advice to do it at Cozumel because excursions are more likely to get cancelled at Grand Cayman since it is a tendering port. I was glad I booked it at Cozumel because the day before we got to Grand Cayman we got a letter saying our GC excursion was in fact cancelled. We had booked a stingray excursion at GC, but ended up doing it at CC instead. Even beach excursions were cancelled at GC, we had great weather(sunny, no rain), but the seas were really rough and they had trouble with tendering, so that's why so many excursions were cancelled. A Carnival ship gave up after several tendering attempts and finally left. In Cozumel we did the dolphin excursion at Chankanaab Nat'l Park(Dolphin Discovery). It was great, there is a ton of stuff to do after you are done with the dolphins(sea lion show, swimming pool, snorkeling, beach, rum tasting and more--all included in price of excursion, we did pay for some ice cream and lunch, I think now lunch is included). My dd was 8 yrs old when we did it and she loved it. We did it in 2017 and would do it again. All reports on here from others who have gone there have been positive.

We did one not through Disney at one of the various dolphin parks in the Cancun area, and it was a bit sad... even the kids were a little upset as the dolphins did not seem well treated or happy. I say this only because I heard that before and didn't really process or believe it and the company came highly recommended, and wished I had taken the warnings a bit more seriously.

If you do want to do one, I would recommend Chankanaab in Cancun for the reason pp gave: there are other activities you can do there.

Cozumel: we love Chankanaab Beach Cozumel. We've been there twice. It's easy to book on your own. Grab a cab and go - plenty of cabs to get you back to the ship as well. First time we did the Royal Dolphin Swim and loved it. Second time we did a swim with a sea lion. Chankanaab is a great place to spend the day. After your encounter (and included with the entrance fee) is a sea lion show, a pool, great beach with chairs/huts/hammocks, and snorkeling. A casual lunch or a buffet lunch is available. You don't have to do any of the dolphin/sea lion encounters. You can just go to the beach and still use all the amenities mentioned above and see the sea lion show. It's really a great place to spend a full day. We've been twice and still haven't explored it all. https://www.dolphindiscovery.com/cozumel/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=mybusiness

I was given the advice to do it at Cozumel because excursions are more likely to get cancelled at Grand Cayman since it is a tendering port. I was glad I booked it at Cozumel because the day before we got to Grand Cayman we got a letter saying our GC excursion was in fact cancelled. We had booked a stingray excursion at GC, but ended up doing it at CC instead. Even beach excursions were cancelled at GC, we had great weather(sunny, no rain), but the seas were really rough and they had trouble with tendering, so that's why so many excursions were cancelled. A Carnival ship gave up after several tendering attempts and finally left. In Cozumel we did the dolphin excursion at Chankanaab Nat'l Park(Dolphin Discovery). It was great, there is a ton of stuff to do after you are done with the dolphins(sea lion show, swimming pool, snorkeling, beach, rum tasting and more--all included in price of excursion, we did pay for some ice cream and lunch, I think now lunch is included). My dd was 8 yrs old when we did it and she loved it. We did it in 2017 and would do it again. All reports on here from others who have gone there have been positive.
[/QUOTE

This is VERY helpful advice. Thank you! I was also thinking Cozumel but be best because if for some reason it was canceled I may be able to still book something in Grand Cayman. I was unaware that Grand Cayman excursions get canceled often. Thank you.

Last edited:
it was a bit sad... even the kids were a little upset as the dolphins did not seem well treated or happy

THIs is a concern of mine.m as we are animal lovers. I told my once reluctant swimmers when they learned to swim I’d take them to swim with dolphins. They are now little fish and have never forgot that I said this so this is the time. Fingers crossed 🤞

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter