Best DVC for solo trip?

Hun E Bear

Earning My Ears
What DVC would you choose for a solo trip? Studio or one bedroom? I want to finally go back after the loss of my husband but am torn strategically being in the BW/BC area with being close to 2 parks and more dining or the monorail/BR area. We used to stay in studios but has anyone found being in a one bedroom more comfortable? Trying to find a new normal.

After losing a dear friend, I returned and found a studio was enough - I was more in need of a nice patio to sit on than interior space - so an active view was helpful. I made a point to buy myself a stuffed friend to sleep over - pretty sure I was obvious crying shopping, but with sunglasses it was not a biggie. Trip was exhausting - but did me good. Sending you hugs.

After losing a dear friend, I returned and found a studio was enough - I was more in need of a nice patio to sit on than interior space - so an active view was helpful. I made a point to buy myself a stuffed friend to sleep over - pretty sure I was obvious crying shopping, but with sunglasses it was not a biggie. Trip was exhausting - but did me good. Sending you hugs.
I think this is great advice. I'm a frequent solo traveler and love having a view to enjoy coffee and sometimes to-go dinners from TS restaurants on the balcony. I prefer BW (my home resort), BLT, GF, Poly for walkability. I also really like Riv tower studios -- much smaller than a 1BR but super luxurious bathrooms. I can imagine 1BRs there are spectacular. I usually stick to studios so I can go more frequently, but the space in 1BRs is pretty awesome.

Sending you lots of love!

Definitely nervous about making the trip. Thank you for your kind words and advice. I’m hoping that I will be able to find a new path as we spent a lot of time together there, and it was both of our happy place.

I travel solo, to start only get a one-bedroom if you have an overwhelming desire to cook on vacation.

The Studio has a couch, bed, and enough "kitchen" for coffee, and a quick breakfast. I don't cook on vacation and If I have to do laundry the free laundry in the hotel is much faster than the stacked room dryer. For the price difference ($1,500-1,800 using $15 a point value) for a week in a one-bedroom and a studio, I could even send out my laundry and have someone else do it and still have plenty left over for some nice meals.

I like BWV but to be honest, I think that Riviera is better for a solo female from both a security and convenience perspective. I know many who don't want to get put in a ground-floor room at BW. If this is not important to you then BW is my recommendation.

What I look for is " activity and distraction" so I like BW view for people watching and the constant activity on the boardwalk. I would not want OKW / SSR or any resort where you are kind of isolated in the room with no way to quickly go to a bar or coffee shop near my room.

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope the memories in your happy place will be comforting... can be bittersweet, for sure, but it's one of the things I love most about WDW -- memories around every corner. :goodvibes As to studio or one bedroom, certainly points/$ are a big consideration. That said, I love the one bedroom as a solo traveler. I spend a fair bit of time in the room and at the resort and I like having the separate bedroom space and love having in-room laundry. I don't really use the kitchen for much but appreciate having the counter space and stuff to do breakfast and snacks.

As to the EPCOT resort area vs. monorail, I'm a big fan of the EPCOT area. I like being able to walk to two parks (or just walk around the lagoon in general), the ability to just "pop in" to a park is awesome (know the reservation system puts a crimp in that), and I think the dining and lounge options are great. Monorail resorts are fun too, but I feel like they're more chaotic.

What DVC would you choose for a solo trip? Studio or one bedroom? I want to finally go back after the loss of my husband but am torn strategically being in the BW/BC area with being close to 2 parks and more dining or the monorail/BR area. We used to stay in studios but has anyone found being in a one bedroom more comfortable? Trying to find a new normal.
I travel solo to WDW almost all the time, and I've stayed in MANY different DVCs. My favorite is BCV, both for its closeness to 2 parks, ability to take a ride on the skyliner to visit another resort. I found MK resorts busier. I also had a one bedroom once (had to use points during COVID), but somehow felt like I didn't "belong" there. In all honesty, my biggest problem was that I have mobility problems, so I didn't like walking "so far".

I travel solo and love a split stay. The common recommendation is one Crescent lake resort and one MK resort.
I normally do a three way split, adding AKV, so I am always staying at a resort near the parks I visit, but this year I'll stay two weeks, so each leg is between 3 and 8 nights, so not really frenetic and I have time to enjoy each resort before it's time to move.

You know you, as a solo traveler it may be easier to pack and unpack, but it's not for everyone.

I am so very sorry for your loss. 😥 I hope this trip is a blessing to you 🤗

Obviously, this is a very personal decision… but I love to stay in the tower studios at Riviera when traveling solo. They have more than enough space & those bathrooms are definitely my favorite!! I don’t like staying in 1-bedrooms solo bc it’s just more space to walk across (esp when I’ve forgotten something in the other room) and, like @Simba's Mom, I’ve got some mobility issues.

When we are in a 1-bedroom, I do appreciate the in-room laundry, and I really like not having to bend over to get into the tiny fridges. If walking is no issue for you- they are quite luxurious and I definitely feel more spoiled in them. If you don’t mind switching rooms, it may be a fun idea to do a split stay: start in a studio & end in a 1-bedroom, so you can see for yourself which you like best ☺️

For many of us in the DVC world (esp those with multiple home resorts), it can be hard to choose which resort we want to stay at for each particular trip. I like all aspects of my Disney vacations… it’s why I keep going back!! So, I try to figure out what I’m most excited for on THIS trip… and there’s usually something in particular that hits me ☺️

* focusing on Epcot for a festival? BCV​
* trying every restaurant at the Grand Floridian? VGF 😉
* focusing on HS? RIV or BCV​
* going with my oldest son? AKV Jambo or WL​
* wanting a tiki vibe with daily Dole Whip? Poly​
* missing our old Ft. Myers Beach condo? BLT​
* just really craving bison burgers?🤪? WL​
* focusing on MK & want a beautiful path to walk/roll there? VGF​
* really wanting to stay in a tower room? RIV​
* wanting to stay somewhere new???​
* focusing on TS or QS? at parks or resorts??​
* wanting to laze by the pool? RIV, VGF, or AKV​
* wanting to be in the pool? BCV or VGF​
* you get the idea 😉
All that being said- my question for you is- what part of this trip are you looking forward to most? And I would base my decision on that answer.🥰

I travel solo, to start only get a one-bedroom if you have an overwhelming desire to cook on vacation.

The Studio has a couch, bed, and enough "kitchen" for coffee, and a quick breakfast. I don't cook on vacation and If I have to do laundry the free laundry in the hotel is much faster than the stacked room dryer. For the price difference ($1,500-1,800 using $15 a point value) for a week in a one-bedroom and a studio, I could even send out my laundry and have someone else do it and still have plenty left over for some nice meals.

I like BWV but to be honest, I think that Riviera is better for a solo female from both a security and convenience perspective. I know many who don't want to get put in a ground-floor room at BW. If this is not important to you then BW is my recommendation.

What I look for is " activity and distraction" so I like BW view for people watching and the constant activity on the boardwalk. I would not want OKW / SSR or any resort where you are kind of isolated in the room with no way to quickly go to a bar or coffee shop near my room.
I agree with the activity / distraction aspect.

I would avoid any of the darker themed resorts (AKL, BRV, CCV, Poly, etc). Keep it bright and airy.

VGF would be my pick for Monorail. BWV would be best in Epcot area and probably best overall.

Sorry for your loss, I would do a 1 bedroom if you have the points and stay BWV/BCV area.

The advantage of a one bedroom (in addition to being able to spread out) is that at seven months it will still be pretty open and you'll be able to book your hearts desire. If you go with a studio, at seven months (depending on when you travel) your choices will likely be limited.

That said, the Epcot area is delightful for adult solo travelers (but hard to get at seven months for studios). If you have never stayed at VAKL, you could book a savannah room and that would feel very different from anything you'd done with your late husband, plus studios are attainable at seven months.

My sincere condolences on your loss. May Disney be your happy place once again.

I'm so sorry for your loss. ***hugs***
If the trip is at least 6 nights, I would vote for a split stay between the EP resorts and MK resorts. This will allow you to do 3 nights at an EP resort and 3 nights at an MK resort. We've tried doing split stays with fewer nights, but it just feels like we're always moving and we don't get enough time at the resort. When we do this split, we do EP and HS while we are at the EP resort and then MK while at the MK resort. We do AK on move day because you have to take a bus there regardless of where you stay. I try to minimize our bus time as much as possible, so this is the main way we do that.

If this were me, and I was doing one resort for the whole trip, I would go with a studio, unless you have a strong desire to be able to cook and do laundry in your room. If I were doing a split stay, I might start with a Studio and end with a 1br. This might give you a feel for which you like better for future trips.

I personally think studios are great for solo trips, and that 1 bedrooms are kind of a waste. However I will be trying a 1BR as a solo this fall when I do remote work during the day and Christmas parties at night, so maybe staying in the room all day will make the extra space worth it. Wilderness Lodge is always a beautiful place to wake up and end the night. Animal Kingdom with a savanna view would be my recommendation if you're doing several resort days, eating on the balcony while watching the animals. And the Polynesian essentially has direct access to both MK and Epcot thanks to the TTC being a short walk away.

I travel solo and love a split stay. The common recommendation is one Crescent lake resort and one MK resort.
I normally do a three way split, adding AKV, so I am always staying at a resort near the parks I visit, but this year I'll stay two weeks, so each leg is between 3 and 8 nights, so not really frenetic and I have time to enjoy each resort before it's time to move.

You know you, as a solo traveler it may be easier to pack and unpack, but it's not for everyone.
I'm another solo who enjoys solid stays. My favorite split is between BCV and Kidani. I like doing BCV first, so that when I get to AKV, I mostly rest, enjoy the amenities, recreation, and food at the resort, and I read and watch the animals. Although I have done a split with a MK resort, I must admit that on many trips, I omit MK totally, so there's no advantage to staying at a MK resort.

I suggest doing what will fulfill your wishes for this trip. If you really want a 1br and can manage that without duress, then do exactly that.

Yours is a situation that calls for dream fulfillment and comforting choices as much as you possibly can.

Whatever you decide, I do hope it brings you some comfort. :grouphug:

I've been in your shoes. My DH and I bought our first DVC contract in 1999 and stayed at WDW 2-4 times/year until he died in 2021. I had to REALLY battle guilt feelings about going to WDW without him. I did not want a 1 bedroom. That big king bed would only have exaggerated the fact that I am now all by myself. I stayed at BWV because I wanted the activity--too much "think" time didn't seem right to me. Did everything remind me of all the trips with my DH? Yep. But it was rather purging, in the end. Blessings to you as you learn how to live a new normal.

One thing I really like about 1-bedrooms is the giant tubs they have.

You've gotten a lot of good advice in this thread. I hope whatever you decide brings you peace, and that you can find joy in this new season of life. I'm sorry for your loss. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter