Best resort for toddlers? (1-3years)

AKL has a playground, which is very rare at WDW. It was a lifesaver for us. AKL was really magical with a toddler.

But AKL has a major disadvantage of the buses, which don't run as quickly as you would expect. It is difficult to get back for a nap, and you have to fold the stroller every time.

My other pick would be VGF, because of the great kids pool and the easy proximity to MK. You roll the stroller right on the boat.

These are my grandchildren about to do their first Disney trip in October and we will see how it goes. The plan is 2 days in MK out of a 5 day trip. Ny children's first trip was when they were 5 and 3 and yes they were troopers ,heck there wasn't even an Animal Kingdom yet and Hollywood studios was MGM.
I love this!
The only experience I had was hopping on to visit Chef Mickeys. But that was a few years ago prior to the insanity period. It was actually really nice. But as mentioned people are kind of leaving Epcot out of the monorail system now. Is that because it simply sucks transferring, or are more people walking?
From an Epcot resort you can’t really take the monorail because you have to go through the park, so you would need an Epcot reservation and then park hop after 2. Coming home isn’t so bad because it should already be the afternoon.

From a monorail resort Epcot is doable. Personally I prefer walking to the transportation hub because otherwise you are boarding with all the people going to MK. That nixed BLT as being convenient to Epcot, though arguably the monorail may be less crowded.

From CC you would probably just take the bus. In theory you could boat to somewhere to get to the transportation hub but if you need to break down the strollers it’s kind of a pain to do.

Speaking of strollers, they have to be broken down on a bus but not on the monorail. Just something to keep in mind. Pre-covid from MK I would always do the monorail back to Epcot and walk through rather than take the bus from MK to BC route because a) I love Epcot and b) strollers are a pain when buses are crowded.

In case your kids end up having a tough time, for DD one saving grace was the idea of an "anytime snack bag," which we actually tethered to the stroller and let her eat out of any time she wanted. We also bought her a "brave blanket" - a large muslin that we could use to cover her stroller - after the disastrous 3 year old trip. Just knowing it was available to her was very helpful. Finally, we had a pixie dust experience where a CM bought her an "invisibility wand" that would turn her invisible in front of storm troopers in HS after they saw she was having a hard time. She went from having to LEAVE the park one day because we saw Darth Vader hundreds of feet away to having a storm trooper walk right past her stroller with no reaction. I will always remember that little bit of kindness that they showed her that day.
Those are some great ideas! My DD was terrified of dark rides when she was little so we bought her a tiny Disney flashlight from The Emporium on Main Street in the MK and she was able to control her own light source in the dark. She used it under a blanket so it would not disturb other people. We also brought PB&J sandwiches for her in a non-crushable Tupperware container because sometimes it was difficult to find a place where she could eat (she's a vegetarian) and when a kid needs to eat, they NEED to eat now.

I vote for a monorail resort. Most of the rides for toddlers are at MK. Getting to Epcot does require switching monorails but the children don't have to leave their strollers. As to a split stay, I am not fond of that idea as it interrupts nap time. I am a big believer of returning to the resort at lunch time and having a nap and/or swim and then returning to the parks in the cooler evening.

Also, most kids love riding the monorail....... at least when it is moving. It's pretty much the People Mover on steroids.

When DS was about that age we invented the “monorail kiss game,” when every time he saw a monorail he had to point it out and give me a kiss. Unfortunately he’s a lot older now so it’s hard to talk him into stuff like that, but it was so much fun that trip.

The only experience I had was hopping on to visit Chef Mickeys. But that was a few years ago prior to the insanity period. It was actually really nice. But as mentioned people are kind of leaving Epcot out of the monorail system now. Is that because it simply sucks transferring, or are more people walking?
We stayed at Poly in Feb. We went to Epcot twice and it isn't a hassle at all. The transfer at the transportation station is so easy.

I think historically people classify "monorail resorts" as the loop that includes MK, GF, Poly and Contemporary because you can literally jump on the monorail at the resort. The other resorts (BC and BW, for example) require walking to get to the monorail. But you are right, the monorail does go to Epcot so I don't know why people leave it out when discussing the monorail system. As I said above, getting to Epcot from Poly/GF/Contemporary/MK is pretty darn easy. Is going from Poly to Epcot as easy as going from Poly to MK? No, but it's still easy.

I think historically people classify "monorail resorts" as the loop that includes MK, GF, Poly and Contemporary. But you are right, the monorail does go to Epcot so I don't know why people leave it out when discussing the monorail system. As I said above, getting to Epcot from Poly/GF/Contemporary/MK is pretty darn easy. Is going from Poly to Epcot as easy as going from Poly to MK? No, but it's still easy.
We like to walk, and have done the GF to the TCC walk past Poly a few times to make it to Epcot and enjoy stopping for a dole whip at Poly before heading to Epcot for the evening.

We like to walk, and have done the GF to the TCC walk past Poly a few times to make it to Epcot and enjoy stopping for a dole whip at Poly before heading to Epcot for the evening.
When we were at Poly in February we were in the Moorea building. It took us 5 minutes to be on the monorail at the TTC. It was great!

We have done a few stays recently with our 2yr old, had to sneak in a park trip before she turned 3 :)

In July, our little family of 3 did a resort only stay at Saratoga and loved it. Last month, we stayed with my parents at Copper Creek and had a wonderful time. We actually have a Hilton Head trip planned for June!

We loved our stay at SSR. My youngest is 3. Having a playground at the resort was a big plus, she and my 6 year old both loved the kiddie splash ground, having Disney Springs close by was great for expanding the quick service options, and they loved our resort day when we rode a Surrey bike and they colored magnets at community hall. I think the blend of proximity to Disney Springs, the nice pool options, and having a playground will bring us back to SSR sometime.

Tell me about your experiences! What are the best resorts for babies/toddlers 1-3 years old. We are DVC, so you don’t need to tell me that is “too young.” We know they won’t remember it yet, but we have the points so we might as well use them! This would be for a family of 3!

I would love to hear experiences with Disney resorts, but also the beach resorts! Did anyone choose to do HHI or Vero when their children were very young?

I have read a lot of forums about best DVC for families, but I know school aged children have different needs than littles! Also with a toddler is there any advantage to choosing a 1 bedroom?

My Initial thoughts were BCV due to proximity to the parks and food, SSR for proximity to Disney Springs and the community amenities, AKL, and Poly to put a crib in the second bathroom.

We have stayed at various DVC resorts with our kiddos over the past year (from ages 4 months/3 years to 8 months/3.5 years), and we have no problems staying in the studios. Ultimately, we prefer resorts with direct access to a park (via boat, Skyliner, walking, etc.) because we are constantly pushing a stroller, and we do like to leave the parks midday for naps.

If you have the points to burn, then go for a 1-bedroom! But, we prefer to have more visits to Disney per year vs. larger rooms. (We live within driving distance and don't stay more than 4 nights.)

We never bothered putting a crib in a separate bathroom—we all slept in the same room. However, we bring a baby monitor (audio) and sit on the balcony while the kids are sleeping.

(Some of my most enjoyable memories with my husband are our chilling on the balcony with a glass of wine and talking.)

Happy planning!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter