Best Strategy for a trip in 2022? Lower Your Expectations

I agree with the OP too. We are in WDW now and the feel is quite different. The lines are crazy long in the mornings. Two things are exacerbating long lines in my opinion: genie+ and ride breakdowns. I can’t recall ever seeing so many down rides. I know rides going has happened before, but not to this extent. Broken rides makes for longer lines and more money for Disney since the only way out is to buy LL. There is no incentive for Disney to fix their rides. When they go down, people throw money at LL. That’s the main problem I have with genie+. I can see paying to skip lines, but creating long lines is now in Disney’s interest. Yuck.

that said, we have accepted our Fate and are throwing money at the problems. We are having a good time. And we are also doing things we used to skip. My suggestion for people coming down soon is to embrace the non-headliners. We had a shockingly good time at conservation station.

i feel Disney is killing the golden goose. They are making so much money now, but their future does not look so bright.

i also mentioned in another thread that I feel like I’m paying ransom. Paying a ransom is “worth it” because you get something valuable, but it’s *ransom* so it isn’t a feel good type thing.

I agree with the OP too. We are in WDW now and the feel is quite different. The lines are crazy long in the mornings. Two things are exacerbating long lines in my opinion: genie+ and ride breakdowns. I can’t recall ever seeing so many down rides. I know rides going has happened before, but not to this extent. Broken rides makes for longer lines and more money for Disney since the only way out is to buy LL. There is no incentive for Disney to fix their rides. When they go down, people throw money at LL. That’s the main problem I have with genie+. I can see paying to skip lines, but creating long lines is now in Disney’s interest. Yuck.

that said, we have accepted our Fate and are throwing money at the problems. We are having a good time. And we are also doing things we used to skip. My suggestion for people coming down soon is to embrace the non-headliners. We had a shockingly good time at conservation station.

i feel Disney is killing the golden goose. They are making so much money now, but their future does not look so bright.

i also mentioned in another thread that I feel like I’m paying ransom. Paying a ransom is “worth it” because you get something valuable, but it’s *ransom* so it isn’t a feel good type thing.
I think the feeling of paying “ransom” is perfect!

Mon our last trip in September there was no genie plus yet and I hate standing in lines so I found myself wanting to leave the park and go back to our hotel after a few short hours. That is not like me at all, when FP+ was around you couldn’t pay me to leave a park, I was there open to close. I know on our next trip in May we will be paying for that perk and I’m already adding up how much of my spending money will be going to this, and to transportation with DME being gone. We will have much less money to spend on food and souvenirs which does not lead to a good experience. Ihave a feeling we will start going less often. We areDVC and I was 100% ready to add on more points, but I don’t think I will anymore unless they start turning things around. I don’t like feeling nickel and domed.

Actually....... 2020 was not the same as 2022.

......and 2021 from January to mid October was not the same as 2022.

The Genie+ platform went live in October.

I was there when it went live.....and then returned in December for 4 park days.

I withheld a deep and thoughtful judgement from Oct to Dec because I felt 3 things were worth considering-

Here is my question though.

If you leave Genie+ out of the picture (you don't HAVE to buy it), since FP+ did not exist in most of 2021, how is going now DIFFERNET than it was in 2021? I mean, there are more crowds - of course. <shrug> Did we think Disney was going to get LESS crowded than it was in 2021 or 2020?

In fact, with the return of the parades, bigger calvacades, and more attractions opening up, the parks are getting BETTER than they were in 2021 or 2020 with the exception of the increased crowds - which again if you didn't see that coming, I don't know what to tell you. Again, leaving the OPTIONAL purchase of Genie+ out of it.

I stand by my original point. This isn't a 2022 thing. It's a jab (again) at Genie+ vs FP+. Which is fine, but call it what it is. You thread should be "yet another Genie+ complaint".

Here is my question though.

If you leave Genie+ out of the picture (you don't HAVE to buy it), since FP+ did not exist in most of 2021, how is going now DIFFERNET than it was in 2021? I mean, there are more crowds - of course. <shrug> Did we think Disney was going to get LESS crowded than it was in 2021 or 2020?

In fact, with the return of the parades, bigger calvacades, and more attractions opening up, the parks are getting BETTER than they were in 2021 or 2020 with the exception of the increased crowds - which again if you didn't see that coming, I don't know what to tell you. Again, leaving the OPTIONAL purchase of Genie+ out of it.

I stand by my original point. This isn't a 2022 thing. It's a jab (again) at Genie+ vs FP+. Which is fine, but call it what it is. You thread should be "yet another Genie+ complaint".
Magical express is gone. Free magic bands are gone. Pool hopping for DVC members is gone. Dining plan is gone. Airport luggage services, gone. Extra magic hours, gone…To name just a few things.

Magical express is gone. Free magic bands are gone. Pool hopping for DVC members is gone. Dining plan is gone. Airport luggage services, gone. Extra magic hours, gone…To name just a few things.

Magical Express is just mears now. <Shrug> I don't feel this is a big "OMG, 2022 is SO DIFFERENT from 2021 thing".
Magic Bands - really the same. Doesn't really fall under the category of lower your expectations of what you are going to be able to do while at the park.
Pool hoping has been gone since the pandemic
Dining plan has been gone since the pandemic
Airport luggage gone since the pandemic
Extra magic hours gone since the pandemic.

Remember my question is how is 2022 different then 2021 or 2020? Or again, the thread should be labeled "going to Disney after the pandemic compared to before the pandemic". Which is a topic, but a very different one.

You can't leave Genie+ out of it. I've visited post closure with stand by only and with Genie. Genie makes the stand by lines so much worse.

I find this very curious. Of course during 2020 and 2021 there were all the calls for FastPasses to come back and the claims that FP did not affect standby (which I for one was on the side of lets never bring back FP because I liked standby only and argued till I was out of breath of how FP+ affected standby including bringing mathematics and statistical analysis into it, but people still called me crazy).

But Genie+ is not FP+ by any means. The number of Genie+ spots available is WAY less than FP+ was. it really should be having a SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER effect on the stand by lines compared to FP+. Again, I think this is more an effect of the number of people in the parks. So, IF ANYTHING, this argument should be how much BETTER Genie+ is then FP+.

Magical Express is just mears now. <Shrug> I don't feel this is a big "OMG, 2022 is SO DIFFERENT from 2021 thing".
Magic Bands - really the same. Doesn't really fall under the category of lower your expectations of what you are going to be able to do while at the park.
Pool hoping has been gone since the pandemic
Dining plan has been gone since the pandemic
Airport luggage gone since the pandemic
Extra magic hours gone since the pandemic.

Remember my question is how is 2022 different then 2021 or 2020? Or again, the thread should be labeled "going to Disney after the pandemic compared to before the pandemic". Which is a topic, but a very different one.
Mears is not free. You are paying more for less in 2022.

Mears is not free. You are paying more for less in 2022.

If having to pay a few extra dollars to get from MCO to the hotel qualifies as such a significant step for you in 2022 vs 2021 that it's a trip ruiner, then I don't know what to tell you - there are a lot bigger fish to fry in that bucket.

But in any case, that's not what the OP was talking about. They were referring to what they can get done in the park and how they can't do the things they used to do. I.E. plan to only do 3 rides a day compared to the entire park by 11am.

If having to pay a few extra dollars to get from MCO to the hotel qualifies as such a significant step for you in 2022 vs 2021 that it's a trip ruiner, then I don't know what to tell you - there are a lot bigger fish to fry in that bucket.

But in any case, that's not what the OP was talking about. They were referring to what they can get done in the park and how they can't do the things they used to do. I.E. plan to only do 3 rides a day compared to the entire park by 11am. And for that matter, the OP was not even staying on property so DME is not a qualifying factor.
I didn’t realize you were judge and jury on how related our concerns have to be to the Ops. Thank goodness you are here to dictate who should be upset and about what. I guess you’re right, me not wanting to spend a few hundred extra dollars on transportation that was free is ridiculous. I guess I forgot I have money coming out of my ears.

sheesh. I’ve never understood why some people seem to get off on being rude to people on the internet.

I find this very curious. Of course during 2020 and 2021 there were all the calls for FastPasses to come back and the claims that FP did not affect standby (which I for one was on the side of lets never bring back FP because I liked standby only and argued till I was out of breath of how FP+ affected standby including bringing mathematics and statistical analysis into it, but people still called me crazy).

But Genie+ is not FP+ by any means. The number of Genie+ spots available is WAY less than FP+ was. it really should be having a SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER effect on the stand by lines compared to FP+. Again, I think this is more an effect of the number of people in the parks. So, IF ANYTHING, this argument should be how much BETTER Genie+ is then FP+.
I loved FP+ definitely would have liked to see it come back, even paid. My personal experience since reopening was that when it was all stand by, some lines were really long, but at least moved. And there were still short lines for lesser attractions.

In November, all the lines were ridiculously long. An hour for Magic Carpets or Little Mermaid?- no thank you! Everyone who paid for Genie wanted their money's worth (understandable) and that meant that there was now increased demand for every ride. How many people who had no interest in riding those things when they were free with FP, used LL for them because they were the only rides available? And trying to get away from it by throwing money at it and buying G+ didn't even work because rides were "sold out" or had return times hours away. Kids were miserable standing in line and I was miserable thinking of how expensive those tickets were as we went back to the resort

It does feel like a ransom, but what we are buying back is our time. The lines have been crazy lately, and I cannot help but be frustrated at the ride downtime. I can only assume it is because the preventative and restorative maintenance necessary to keep these rides hale and hearty isn't being sufficiently prioritized (or manned). Which puts further pressure on our vacation time.

Last edited:
OP: It's a sad statement about disney to say that you have to lower your expectations just to try and enjoy your vacation! That's not a vacation to me. It costs too much to do a disney vacation now that I expect expections to be higher by disney, not lower. So, as I've said before, we are done with disney as is our extended family and their kids.

We just got back from a 3 night stay in a poly studio. This is the first trip we’ve ever been so excited to drive home. The crowds and standby lines were insane and genie+/LL makes standby SO slow. We had lots of monorail issues to both MK and Epcot from the poly and TTC. Our passes expire in May and I’m not sure we’ll even use them again even though we only live an hour away. If crowds don’t thin out at all we most likely will let them expire. I never thought we would be in this position. Our ds is only 21 months and he talks about Disney all the time but this trip was not magical for any of us.

I think honestly if they made Genie+ like where you could pick what time slot you'd like it would be a much better experience. The way it works they fill everything from ASAP to later which then floods the queues much faster. Who knows there might naturally be a lull for Pirates between 11AM-12PM if you could pick your slot. Instead since it gets you next available there are no lulls.

But in any case, that's not what the OP was talking about. They were referring to what they can get done in the park and how they can't do the things they used to do. I.E. plan to only do 3 rides a day compared to the entire park by 11am.

Why are you wanting to turn this conversation into comparing 2022 to 2021? I think the OP was actually referencing how thing are now to pre-pandemic.

...and to the other posters' points about added cost?

Lets talk about how much more I'll pay this year to prior years:
G+ for our 8 night stay is $640 (this used to be free with FP+, and better)
Mears Express is $160 round trip for our family
Magic bands, at the low end, are about $10 each, so another $50.

Add that up and it's $850 additional cost this trip versus how things were prior years (for a lesser experience IMO). When you combine that with the drastically higher resort and ticket costs, it is a large difference.

Dan

I don’t care at all for marvel so can’t say I agree.

I fear Tron and GG will just be like the new fantasyland opening (a dud) but I hope IM wrong but even with the new rides, can you imagine the hastle to try and get on them??

We have just booked an unexpected trip for late Nov/Dec. Our last trip was in Aug 2020 and while crowds were low during the week the weekends were insane without fp even then. I cant imagine now.

Im gonna try and save up for Genie+ and add it as needed while we are there but my family discussed it we wont be using the pay per ride system for the popular rides bc heck we cant afford $15 to $20 pp for 6 ppl for just one ride!

We have been staying at values lately not only bc I had a big life change and am now disabled so we are in a different financial state but why dish out all that money when your seriously getting SO much less for the money. I know everything every where has gone up and i get DIsney is a business but I think back about my generation (Im 47) and I grew up spending summers at disney and I raised my kids we came annually as well, some years 2 and 3 times and we stayed deluxe but it was WORTH It.

I feel like a whole era is gone.. NO longer will middle wage earners be able to take their kids, so many kids will only know Disney by FRozen (lol) Less families will be able to afford it. I already know a ton of ppl who have have found other places to replace Disney.

Im a die hard WDW fan. I believed in staying on site, I believed in the dining plan, I believed in buying souvenirs on property and not at the outlets. I would actually consider staying off site now. I am actually considering for the first time leaving disney property to eat.

After Disney we have Universal booked, Hard Rock bc at least with that not only is it a beautiful resort and the location is great but it gives you Unlimited Express Pass! Im not saying I want disney to do that bc I definitely cant afford deluxe like I use to and I feel making it a Tier thing ( aka the more you pay the more you get) is wrong bc its not right to the families that cant afford deluxe..

This post makes me sad. I think OP right, will have to lower expectations which is so hard after 40 years of amazing trips

I cant be the only one who thinks Dang I spent thousands upon thousands for so long at Disney and while we have amazing memories Disney sure isnt as loyal to its die hard fans... No rewards program ( dont even bring up disney visa lol) or anything...

I didn’t realize you were judge and jury on how related our concerns have to be to the Ops. Thank goodness you are here to dictate who should be upset and about what. I guess you’re right, me not wanting to spend a few hundred extra dollars on transportation that was free is ridiculous. I guess I forgot I have money coming out of my ears.

sheesh. I’ve never understood why some people seem to get off on being rude to people on the internet.

I can see why feeling invalidated made you respond in kind, but in my personal opinion, your response was worse. We are all under stress and frustrated with the negative change and cost of vacation, but we could do better with avoiding such sarcasm. And the person who set you off could have been more understanding.

I love the post where @disney5 gave hard numbers, and they were just part of the story. It is pretty easy to quantify. I don't think anyone can argue that we aren't getting less value for more money. I think the only argument one might make would be if there is something new we didn't have from the year we are comparing to. For example, you could say, "We didn't have GE then!" and make an argument that a new "land" offsets some increased costs. But we are comparing the exact same experiences. I agree with you that losing the Magical Express was a HUGE deal! And it isn't just the cost, it is just getting on a bus, relaxing, and getting in the Disney frame of mind, while the stress of dealing with your luggage is eliminated. Maybe Disney thought, "That's better than raising ticket prices $20". Who knows. But the perception of being cheated is really working against "Disney Magic".

I have to say, after reading what everyone has said, I'm not looking forward to going to Disney in August. If a discount does not come through for the Contemporary, I may just switch and go to Hilton Head instead. :(

The good news for you is that if you are going in the middle or even the end of August, you will see some of the lowest crowds throughout the entire year. So if you are primarily concerned about crowds and G+ and aren't concerned that it will be 349 degrees every day, then I suspect you will have a ton of fun (and maybe we will even see you there!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter