• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Way to book Grand Calif??

Mom2Joce

It all started with a...
Ok, we always stay at best western across the street. Never any complaints but thought it would be fun to stay at the GC. So I get online and look, look, look but can't find anything less than 280.00.
Ok, not THAT bad but I can't bring myself to pay that much for the hotel...AHHHH!! Are there any tips, better websites, help out there to try and get a little bit off that? Wish I could bite the bullet and just do it!!
ps. I'm an AP holder, why doesn't that do anything for the hotels?

Well we just got a 15 per cent discount booking through AAA. The Disney website had one price but the AAA website was considerable less for our upcoming stay Hope that helps.

$280/night is a good rate at GCH. Depending
on the season it may be great.

We just booked 6 nights in May ag DLH for $239/night. GCH is a bit more, so your offer seems about right.

-Shawn

When are you going? Depending on the season, you might be able to do better than $280. Perhaps they'll run special AP rates yet -- they're usually not announced too far in advance and sell out quickly, so keep an eye on the boards. Also, expedia has had some killer last minute rates (no more than two weeks in advance). I've seen as low as $169/nt last Fall/Winter when we were looking.

Somestimes having an ap will get you a better rate. However, ap rates are not usually released until the month of, maybe the month before. They base them on how full they are. With the 50th, everything is full most of the time! Next year I'm sure we'll see some great rates again.

Depending on when you are going, there might be other specials. Last fall they did buy three nights get on free. That always helps. The lowest rack rate price is $280, for a standard room/ value season. Based on that $260 isn't bad.

I've looked at various ways to book DL hotels. I've looked at AAA, the Disney site directly (which is Disney Travel Company), Expedia, Travelocity, getawaytoday, and even using DVC points (if you're not a DVC member, you can also rent points).

For our upcoming trip I wasn't able to get any of the DL hotels for a couple of nights that our DVC points didn't have due to availability. I checked all the other type of sites, but nothing was available, even Disney directly for hotel only. But when I changed the criteria on the Disney site to a package - hotel and tickets- I was able to pick up the two extra nights that I needed at the PP.

The only problem that I've seen with the Disney site directly is the cancellation policy. There are cancellation charges that apply when there is a change or cancellation starting at 30 days from your arrival date. As it gets closer to your arrival date, the cancellation/change charges start to increase.

We'll be going June 10th - 14th. I think I'll take the advice you guys have given. I'll book over at BWPPI or Tropicana and then check like crazy for last minute/month deals. I know both the good neighbor hotels allow a 24 hour cancellation option so that might be my best bet/mission :)

Good plan! Note though: BWPPI's cancellation policy is 72 hours; don't know about Tropicana, but I'm betting it's at least 48.

When we went this last September, my cousin and her family were AP holders and got the GC for $199 not including tax.....I know due to availability though they were not able to get that rate EVERY night we were there, but some nights that low were better than none. :teeth:

Many thanks for the info, I usually double check when making the reservation but know that it is possible closer to the requested date :)

Thanks a bunch and you're right any night for 199.00 would be GREAT!! I love your new pic, I think I'm talking to the same family, one of the later pics of your kids at the princess breakfast on main street?

You mentioned to keep an eye on the boards for special AP rates for the resort hotels...where do I look? Just in the CA Disneyland forum? How do we find out about them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter