Big Fire at Universal Hollywood right now!

I wonder if the psycho house is ok...

And good to hear they are postponing opening the Park... the air around there can't be good for anyone.

they mentioned a court house is lost - was that the bttf court house? the bttf town square looks like it is separate and ok?

The Courthouse Square is the same as the Back to the Future Town Square - that was burned.

Universal is still slated to open @ noon (Exec at news brief right now), and the studios will fully be open tomorrow.

According to the News Conference

NY street, Brownstone street, Courthouse Square, King Kong and the Video Vault (which is still burning)

Motion picture vault is FINE... No worries.

:( This is terrible. I cant believe it. I havent been to USH in years and would love to go back someday. I dont remember much about it. I do remember the tram ride, it is a shame this is happening.

Video Vault still smolderin, being hosed down ... some videos have been recovered .. stress this bldg holds video tapes, NOT film reels .... 3 minor injuries to FFs ...
started at 440 on New York St ... Courthouse Square and King Kong bldgs destroyed ...

USH scheduled to open at noon

Huge smoke cloud still billowing from (VV?) bldg

update: fire official reports KK bldg totally destroyed

Wasn't the Courthouse re-built from another fire? I don't think it was original from the BTTF shoots.

They keep saying it was the video vault, yet they showed film cans on the news just now being removed.

I bet they the film masters are in a vault in the desert for safe-keeping anyway. Still, losing a video vault can cause a lot of money and time wasted. This is where you would keep a lot of TV back-ups and foreign mixes on D5, etc. Not the end of the world because it can all be re-done.

They were saying here that it could be the result of a commercial shoot explosion, but I can't find any back-up on that yet to post.

The small mill is nearly lost, too.

I am so sad right now. This is true Hollywood history quite literally going up in smoke right now. It's absolutely terrible.

I hope they get it under control ASAP and that they can recover.

I heard that that the court house wasn't effected in the previous fire....it was the one of the only thing that wasn't...if thats the case then it was the original...:( ?!

Do you think it will be all re-built as it was or they will add new things...how long do you think it will take to re-build...i was a tad young :cutie: when the 1990 fire happened...i don't remember it - how long did it take to re-build back then?

Out of everything i wanted to see on our december it was the BTTF court house/town square etc.... :(

Depends on the money they pour into it. A lot of people go to US Hollywood to see the sets, so there is a good chance they'll put a lot of effort to rebuild. The one that will take more time is the King Kong set because of the special effects.

Of course, the video library/vault will take time, but for the tourists, they'll get that up as soon as they can. I don't know if they would be able to achieve it by December.

Yes this is all so sad. Again I am really wondering how this will affect Ghost Whisperer. Court House Square was their primary set. That was their "town" and Melinda's store. They did MOST of their shooting there. In the press conference they said they used 6 sets to shoot the show and 2 were burned. Well obviously her house was not burned and some other areas but the MAIN set that everyone recognizes "the town" was. I am sure the interior areas of her shop were done on a sound stage so they can shoot that etc but it will be tough to do any exterior stuff.

Plus as I said eventhough it was totally re-done from the BTTF days I still always thought of it as that even though it was so different. Just SO SO sad!

Plus I have been in that King Kong area SO many times and have it on video even. I wonder if they will even bother re-doing it. I mean it has been around a long time. Maybe they will just use this opportunity to make a new attraction instead. Whatever the case it will be missed! :(

Plus I have been in that King Kong area SO many times and have it on video even. I wonder if they will even bother re-doing it. I mean it has been around a long time. Maybe they will just use this opportunity to make a new attraction instead. Whatever the case it will be missed! :(

Such a sad day. My heart goes out to all those affected and the fire fighters.

While probably premature to talk about, I also have a feeling King Kong could be replaced. Time will tell. I am sure it is the very least of their worries right now.

I went numb when I saw the news on tv. We were just there during spring break.

Goodbye...... :(

47b8da25b3127ccec39c6d0ebe5300000016108AZtWLNw2YtQe3nwo

47b8da25b3127ccec39c69313f5e00000016108AZtWLNw2YtQe3nwo

47b8da25b3127ccec39d33ec1fe200000016108AZtWLNw2YtQe3nwo

Getting photos to work for rszdtrvl...

this really blows..... do you guys think they will still have the tram tour for my June 16 trip? I wonder if they will do away with it completely for awhile because King Kong is not apart of it... the studio tour is afterall the main attraction at USH

aww mannnnnn :confused3

I hope so, we'll be there around that time too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter