• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Birnbaum or Sehlinger's book?

hockeystl

Earning My Ears
Hello all. First time post. I am looking to purchase 1 definitive guide to WDW. After researching, it seems both Birnbaum and Sehlinger have written excellent books.

If you had to pick one book, which would it be and why?

Thanks in advance to all the WDW experts for their opinions.

hockeystl

Hi Hockeystl and welcome to the boards. You'll get a lot of great information here, some of the best actually. As for which book is best... hmm, they are both very different actually. I have both of them (actually I have several Birnbaums). I prefer Birnbaums from the point of view that there are photos (albeit some are black and white) and it is overall more pleasant to read through. However, I did like the reader's comments in Sehlingers. Mostly actually because they were hysterical - and became more hysterical once you've actually experienced WDW and know it first hand!!

I think Sehlingers leans on the slightly harsh side so if you don't want to be disillusioned choose Birnbaums and use Sehlingers later once you have formed some opinions of your own and are able to measure their opinions by your own experiences.

Have you considered other guides such as Rita Aero's and Passporter?

John :bounce:

Like #1MMFan said, I like to get both for different reasons. Brinbaum's guide gives you a pretty sunnyview of everything. nothing too critical, if at all. The unoffical has guest input and tends to give readers a less sunny, i guess, view of things.
I say go for Brinbaum's!

I personally have a different book than either of these. It is "The Everything guide to Walt Disney" I bought it at Boarders and I really like it "The Everything" is a new chain of books about many different topics such as "The Everything Baby book" "The Everything cookbook" "The Everything Saints book" Ect. The other books mentioned may or may not be better, I only read this one but I like it.:)

I have to agree with the previous posters, HERE is the best info and it is from the vacationer's perspective, not a person trying to sell a book. Not to mention cheaper. Back when I was planning our last trip, I looked here and got the guides from the local library (which, by the way, would be better in my opinion than buying something) and the DIS was far more informative and easier to find what I was looking for. There is a lot here that even the guides can't tell you. For instance, getting to wake up Tinkerbell in MK, didn't see that anywhere in the guidebooks, just stumbled onto it.

Hey Ratpack--
What's that about wakng up Tinkerbell in MK? Never heard anything about it..thanks

There is a little store near Cinderella's Carousel in MK called Tinkerbell's Treasure (I think). My DD and DW walked in to browse. DD happened to be the first child to enter the store. They asked her if she wanted to wake up Tinkerbell. She got to use the magic wand and tap on this box- Tinkerbell's home. Then "Tinkerbell" awakes and flies around the store. (Lights and sounds in the walls). She got a certificate for being the one to wake up Tinkerbell. It was magical moment- least expected. It was something that noone had told us about at all. DD was so excited and talks about it all the time.

we purchased both actually for our first trip back in 96'. we found the birnbaum's book to be more of less a disney advertising book and the unofficial guide to be a little more informative(but not as easy to look at). IMHO, the other posters are correct; this is the best place to find info and get answers to your questions. I wish these boards were here when we took our first trip. I guess if you must purchase one or the other; the birnbaums is a little more simple to follow.

It's like asking "Would you like pie or ice cream?" The correct answer is "both".

Birnbaums' has nice color photos, good page layout, all the basic information you'll need. It is good enough for 90+% of visitors.

But if
-- you're a compulsive planner who must have all available information, or
-- you want a non-Disney perspective, or
-- you want reviews and evaluations of all resorts, restaurants and attractions, or
-- you want a plan of attack for each theme park
then you need Sehlinger.

BTW Birnbaum is the ice cream, Sehlinger is the pie.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.

Based on the comments here, I've decided to go ahead and purchase both. Found them on Amazon for about $11 each.

Thanks again,
hockeystl

Welcome to the Board.

Birnbaum's is tops. I've purchased one each year we travel to WDW and it has never let me down.

The tips are wonderful and real--you will find you use them.

Now that we don't need the book so much for advice, I still buy one when we go and make it a part of the other treasures and keepsakes from our trip.

The first time we went to WDW we felt "empowered" rather than powerless because of Birnbaum's.
You won't be sorry !!

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

Hi hockeystl and welcome.

The Unofficial Guide is probably a better bet because it is completely *independent* from Disney.

Keep in mind that Disney is a business, and thus, they are profit motivated like all businesses. Birnbaum's Official Guide presents a very flattering portrait of WDW, and it is not likeley to be as truthful as an independent guidebook would be.

Hope this helps.

diane
:smooth:

I always lean towards the "Unofficial Guide", but then I do end up reading about every travel book out there before a trip.

We have terrific libraries here, and I can reserve almost any book or have them sent to my local branch (don't know what your Public Library system is like in the US). That way, I have several books and can even take them (or the one I really like) on the trip with me as a reference.

The money I save on the guide, can always be put towards another souvenir -- maybe a great book with lots of pictures!

Cheers.

Buying both is the right decision. You can get the Passporter later. :smooth:

Seriously, I LOVE the Unofficial Guide-- its a real warts and all perspective. It really prepares you for what can go WRONG on a Disney vacation and allows you to plan to avoid those things. Don't let it scare you, though. There is a section on kids and Disney that makes a lot of excellent points, but eventually concluded kids should be seven to really "get" Disney. Couldn't agree less! Disney is great for all kids! But-- you do need to handle different aged kids in different ways.

Good luck planning. Unofficial Guide is a doorstop of a book.

I have to put in my two cents for another option- Rick Namey's Orlando Like A Pro, which is the second edition of Disney Like A Pro. We bought DLAP before our 1997 trip on recommendation from a friend, and it was awesome!! we had so many tips that we used really well that when the second version came out (the first was before AK and Islands of Adventure) that we bought that one too. They've really come in handy, and I always like to suggest them. There are also small, pocket-sized so they're easy to carry around.

I highly suggest Sehlinger's book. The book is more objective and they will tell you the truth about stuff, if some food is bad and is overpriced they will tell you. But, the Birnbaum's book will give a picture and a small description. But overall, I think, the Unofficial Guide is way better.

For some reason I can not buy just one. I buy the offical, unoffical, the idiots guide and now this year Im trying the Passporter also. I love to read and I love Disney so I get to combine 2 of my favorite things.

4greatboys

I'm just like you. I just got our reservation for Aug and I have the new passporter and 3 other books on their way. I don't really learn much new but I love reading them (sometimes over and over again before my trip)

I think this guide is the best guide book, but will try the passporter this year, also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter