Birthday Button "Etiquette"?

To paraphrase what my husband said in a previous post, I hope that if you ever get delayed by a flight on Thanksgiving or by a snowstorm in December that you at least donate the turkey you shouldn't be eating and the presents you now have the integrity to not open because you missed the actual day(s).

Stacy

I don't believe anyone said anything about being off by day or two for your birthday. I know I don't wish people a Happy Thanksgiving when I feel like having a turkey sandwich in February.

I don't believe anyone said anything about being off by day or two for your birthday. I know I don't wish people a Happy Thanksgiving when I feel like having a turkey sandwich in February.
I just spit my coffee out :coffee:. You owe me a new monitor and keyboard :laughing:.

Exactly! It is either reasonably close to your birthday (within a week), or being told "Happy Birthday" is a farce. We ALL have birthdays, the celebration of which loses all meaning *if it isn't actually your birthday*!

What's next? Happy Birthyear buttons? Let's all wear them and there will be pixie dust and well wishes and free cupcakes for all!

Wear the "I'm Celebrating" button, people, and have some respect for truth in advertising! You can be celebrating the fact that you had a corn removed from your toe and people will still be happy for you. No need to pretend!

Birthday wishes have an expiration date! Be honest!

So should I feel bad or not let my daughter wear a birthday pin when we go? Her bday is 9/23 but we are going 9/1-9/6 for many reasons including school (I have an older child), weather and price. She is 2 and will be turning 3. Is tacky to wear a "first time to Disney" pin also since it will be our first time?

You know.....Jesus wasn't born in December. So celebrating Christmas really has no meaning because *it isn't actually his birthday*. And not just a few days.... months and months off.

So... celebrate Jesus' birthday in June or not at all?

Stacy

:lol:

You know.....Jesus wasn't born in December. So celebrating Christmas really has no meaning because *it isn't actually his birthday*. And not just a few days.... months and months off.

So... celebrate Jesus' birthday in June or not at all?

Stacy

December 25 was established as Christmas Day as a concession to existing pagan holidays. Feel free to serve cake as desired.

So should I feel bad or not let my daughter wear a birthday pin when we go? Her bday is 9/23 but we are going 9/1-9/6 for many reasons including school (I have an older child), weather and price. She is 2 and will be turning 3. Is tacky to wear a "first time to Disney" pin also since it will be our first time?

Don't give it a second thought and have fun! Disney - who happens to be the expert on what to do at Disney ( Imagine that!) - encourages exactly what you plan to do!

Is this thread REALLY 10 pages long?! LOLOLOL I may wear a button just because of THAT!! ;-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

SingingMom said:
Is this thread REALLY 10 pages long?! LOLOLOL I may wear a button just because of THAT!! ;-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

^THIS! Idk about wearing the button but these posts will make me think before wishing anyone at WDW a Happy Bday.......

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

To me, Thanksgiving should be celebrated anytime. I'm thankful every day.

And regarding Christmas, I've heard of holidays being postponed weeks and even months for good reasons. I remembered, during the Iranian hostage crisis, the National Christmas Tree not being lit until the hostages were released in late January.

DisneyDiva8401 said:
The OP asked what other people did. If someone asks an opinion, they are liable to get one they don't like. I never said I wasted time worrying about it, I was giving my OPINION. I see nothing wrong with it if it is relatively near the b-day. But when your birthday is in march and you go to Disney in August, I wouldnt consider that proper "etiquette" as she called it. And if you dont wear the buttons for others to notice, then why wear them at all?

We went for our first family trip, and my son turned 4 while we were there. He wore his button the whole trip, and we reveled in the "magic" he experienced, cast members wishing him HB and calling him by name, all the while him asking us, how do they know my name?

We're going again for his 10th birthday in Nov. He will turn 10 at Disney, on the 5th day of our trip. He might wear a button that day only.

We went to celebrate our 10th anniversary, 2 months after our actual anniversary, because the kids were still in school, and that was the soonest we could both get time off work. Does that mean we weren't celebrating our anniversary just because it wasn't the actual day of our wedding? I don't think so. Nor do I think it diminished our celebration!

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy SIII using the DISBoards app

I have read every page of this thread. Sigh. We are going to DW next week and will arrive on my daughters 5th birthday. I have planned this trip for 5 years. She will be wearing the birthday button because it is her birthday. I planned it during a hot crowded and EXPENSIVE month because it is her actual birthday. It is not my sons (October), so he will NOT be wearing a button, nor my anniversary last month, so we will NOT be wearing a button, neither will my husband in the military be wearing a button, nor my celebrating 2 years of my brain tumor not growing - I will NOT be wearing a button. My beautiful 5 year old BIRTHDAY girl will wear the button. Although we appreciate and celebrate our blessings every day, I feel no need to distract from her BIRTHDAY. Will enjoy our Disney vacation but we have 6 kids with birthdays all year but she will be the ONLY one with the birthday button because it is actually her birthday. That is all I have to say on this matter. I believe in birthday weeks, even months, but don't take away my little girls pixie dust.

It always makes me feel a little weird when people get buttons for birthdays that are months past or months away. I've been to Disneyland many times in my birthday month (after my birthday) but it never even occurred to me to ask for a button. That said, it doesn't bother me at all if a person gets a birthday button during their birth month or a similar time frame, I just never thought to.

For me personally it wouldn't feel like celebrating my birthday if it wasn't the week of.

Will enjoy our Disney vacation but we have 6 kids with birthdays all year but she will be the ONLY one with the birthday button because it is actually her birthday. That is all I have to say on this matter. I believe in birthday weeks, even months, but don't take away my little girls pixie dust.

I respect that you want only your DD to celebrate her birthday while in Disney, but I don't understand how the way anyone else celebrates will impact your DD's pixie dust.

I have read every page of this thread. Sigh. We are going to DW next week and will arrive on my daughters 5th birthday. I have planned this trip for 5 years. She will be wearing the birthday button because it is her birthday. I planned it during a hot crowded and EXPENSIVE month because it is her actual birthday. It is not my sons (October), so he will NOT be wearing a button, nor my anniversary last month, so we will NOT be wearing a button, neither will my husband in the military be wearing a button, nor my celebrating 2 years of my brain tumor not growing - I will NOT be wearing a button. My beautiful 5 year old BIRTHDAY girl will wear the button. Although we appreciate and celebrate our blessings every day, I feel no need to distract from her BIRTHDAY. Will enjoy our Disney vacation but we have 6 kids with birthdays all year but she will be the ONLY one with the birthday button because it is actually her birthday. That is all I have to say on this matter. I believe in birthday weeks, even months, but don't take away my little girls pixie dust.

I would add the word 'today' and the date to the button so CMs know it is her actual birthday.

Disney2013Girl said:
I must have missed the memo that there is a finite amount of joyful celebration in the world. :rolleyes:

Yes, this!

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy SIII using the DISBoards app

Here is our situation and solution:

My wife turns 50 this September and our 30th anniversary is February 25th, 2014. We planned something big for February.

Then our grown son and daughter planned their own trip to Disney in September for FD. So we all talked and decided, why not go to Disney for my wife's birthday and go with the kids. (Actually separate reservations in separate rooms and our trips overlap.)

BUT, now that we are doing Disney in September, we can no longer do a big trip for our 30th.

Solution:

We decided, after checking the "Life's Book of Rules" and finding no prohibition :confused3:rolleyes2, that we would celebrate both my wife's 50th and our 30th early at Disney.

We are going to make two buttons, a birthday button that she will wear on her birthday, and two buttons about our 30th anniversary that include the actual date which we are going to wear two different days. This way people will know what we are celebrating AND that it is early. Turth in advertising, so to speak.

I know this means that some CM's may actually say "Happy anniversary!" 73 times that day instead of 72, and therefore each statement of congratulations will somehow have 1/73 versus 1/72 the value and therefore slightly less pixie dust. Or maybe the CM's will reach their instructed allotment of "Happy Anniversary!" statements with us and then will stare tight lipped at the next poor couple celebrating their 75th on the actual day.
:guilty::sad2::scared::sad::rolleyes2...

:lmao::dance3::rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter