Booking Aulani with rented DVC points

MimiDee905

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! Looking to plan our first Aulani vacation for June 2020. The difference between booking through Aulani for a Studio Ocean View and renting DVC points through David's is a $4,000 difference, which seems insane! (Aulani website quotes $7,000 and Davids quotes $3,000 for same dates and room type). I put in the request through Davids, but I've never rented DVC points so I'm not sure how long it usually takes to get a response? Has anyone successfully rented for Aulani through Davids before? I know June 2020 is possibly a very popular time to visit, so I am a little worried that I may be getting my hopes up.

Also, is there any downside to renting DVC points for Aulani as opposed to paying full price and booking on my own? Any opinions?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me out! I appreciate you!

We've rented from Davids a few times, but not for Aulani. I wouldn't expect that you'd have a hard time getting an Ocean View studio, even for a popular travel time. The main drawbacks for renting points are that you have to pay the full cost up front, and there is no canceling. You can, however, get travel insurance to cover some of the cost if you end up having to cancel--that is, of course, an added cost, but still MUCH less than paying cash for a room. In my experience, I've always gotten a response from Davids within a couple days. At this point, note that, b/c you're still outside of the 7 month booking window, you will have to pay a premium for 11-month points.

We've rented our points out with David's and had no problems with them. You won't get hotel style housekeeping if you rent DVC points, you'll just get the towels changed on day 4. Other than the points mentioned above you shouldn't notice any other differences, particularly while you're there.

I don't think you will have trouble . . depending on how many points you need. It wouldn't hurt to list it. I'll go check with David's on your listing as I may have extra Aulani points for that time frame . . .

I can't speak to David's, but I booked an Ocean View Studio for Thanksgiving week thru the DVC Rental Store. Booked it in early May. I put in my request and heard back in less than 24 hours and had it booked shortly after. DVC Rental Store's policy is to pay $11/point as a deposit, then the rest is due 45 days prior to the reservation. I'm pretty happy to get a studio villa for less than I'd be paying for a standard hotel room. I would expect this is probably pretty similar to what you'd experience thru David's.

I rented points through Davids for my recent trip to Aulani! They got back to me within a couple of days and I had no problems throughout the whole process. After we put in a request, they told me what was available. Then I responded with the room type I wanted, and they replied within a day or so with a booking confirmation! They were very responsive and clear, and also sent my room requests to the owner. Like others have mentioned, the only downsides I can think of would be the payment upfront and the towel/room clean service.

I've been a renter and a rentee. I saw no difference between staying on rented points or as an owner. Renting was a pretty painless process. But it can be stressful for some people to have your reservation in the hands of a stranger . . .

H

Re the towels I used to change morning and evening at the pool kiosk

Could I ask please what David’s rentals charge per point please for anyone who has used him.

David's may take a day or two to get back to you but being that you are still over 7 months out, they may not have an Aulani owner with enough available points to book you yet. In that case, I believe they place you on the waiting list. Only Aulani owners can book between 7-11 months out. After the 7 month out mark, any owner can book so they have many more options at that point. Of course, you do run the risk of availability at that point, but I agree that it shouldn't be too bad for an ocean view.

DH and I rented points directly from an Aulani owner around the 10 month mark from the rent/trade board here on the Dis. It essentially works the same way, but you should do your due diligence on the owner when doing it yourself.

PPs have listed the only "drawbacks" of renting points - no daily housekeeping. We didn't find this to be an issue. There was a garbage room at the end of the hall where we could drop our full garbage bags off. Staying on points in a studio gets you free laundry tokens from the front desk, so you could always wash a load of towels if you really wanted to. You also get free parking when staying on points, which is a big savings. Those who book direct with Disney do not get that.

David's may take a day or two to get back to you but being that you are still over 7 months out, they may not have an Aulani owner with enough available points to book you yet. In that case, I believe they place you on the waiting list. Only Aulani owners can book between 7-11 months out. After the 7 month out mark, any owner can book so they have many more options at that point. Of course, you do run the risk of availability at that point, but I agree that it shouldn't be too bad for an ocean view.

DH and I rented points directly from an Aulani owner around the 10 month mark from the rent/trade board here on the Dis. It essentially works the same way, but you should do your due diligence on the owner when doing it yourself.

PPs have listed the only "drawbacks" of renting points - no daily housekeeping. We didn't find this to be an issue. There was a garbage room at the end of the hall where we could drop our full garbage bags off. Staying on points in a studio gets you free laundry tokens from the front desk, so you could always wash a load of towels if you really wanted to. You also get free parking when staying on points, which is a big savings. Those who book direct with Disney do not get that.

When i was their in August staying in an Ocean view studio i asked about getting some Laundry tokens and was informed they were only for members with blue cards. I actually felt sorry for the CM as she seemed very uncomfortable in denying my request. She eventually gave me enough tokens for one load but said in the futute they are only available to blue card members.

With a DVC stay, you also have the option of paying extra daily for housekeeping, I think when we were there, it was $30 per day. On the first day, we call housekeeping and arrange it directly with them.

When i was their in August staying in an Ocean view studio i asked about getting some Laundry tokens and was informed they were only for members with blue cards. I actually felt sorry for the CM as she seemed very uncomfortable in denying my request. She eventually gave me enough tokens for one load but said in the futute they are only available to blue card members.
Interesting. wonder if anyone can confirm whether this is a new policy? When we were there, the tokens were available to anyone staying on points. The reservation denotes when its points vs not, which is also how the system knows whether to charge you for parking or not when you access the parking garage. It was also my understanding this the tokens are a courtesy to studio guests, since studios don't have in-room laundry.

Either way, the laundry room is still usable with quarters and the cost is minimal.

Interesting. wonder if anyone can confirm whether this is a new policy? When we were there, the tokens were available to anyone staying on points. The reservation denotes when its points vs not, which is also how the system knows whether to charge you for parking or not when you access the parking garage. It was also my understanding this the tokens are a courtesy to studio guests, since studios don't have in-room laundry.

Either way, the laundry room is still usable with quarters and the cost is minimal.

I thought you had to use tokens which cost one dollar each. Four tokens for washing and four for drying. Are you sure you can use quarters? Not by any means a deal breaker but i am just curious now.

I thought you had to use tokens which cost one dollar each. Four tokens for washing and four for drying. Are you sure you can use quarters? Not by any means a deal breaker but i am just curious now.
Oh I don't know, could be. I used tokens I got for free so no idea. I just meant that you can pay for the washer/dryers, you don't have to be members to use them. I assume then there's a change machine in the laundry room that products tokens when you insert a dollar?

This is interesting, first I read about free parking only for blue card members only, and now I read about laundry tokens for blue card member only, this is crazy.

As an Aulani owner (without blue card), this does not sit right, as I believe I am paying MF dues that covers maintaining the parking lot, and probably the common laundry room and the machines themselves. Obviously I haven't examine the records, not do I know if they keep records down to that level of details, but this seem like an over-zealous CM misunderstanding the rules. You can't tell me that non-Aulani direct owners at other WDW resorts get free parking and free laundry tokens, while an actual Aulani owner has to pay for those "perks" while paying their Aulani MF dues. Somehow I find it hard to believe that no part of MF dues is covering a portion of these common areas.

It will be interesting to see if there are any other reports like this. I understand charging anybody booking directly with Disney CRO, but it doesn't make sense for reservations on DVC points, especially when points are from Aulani home resort itself.

Great3

This is interesting, first I read about free parking only for blue card members only, and now I read about laundry tokens for blue card member only, this is crazy.

As an Aulani owner (without blue card), this does not sit right, as I believe I am paying MF dues that covers maintaining the parking lot, and probably the common laundry room and the machines themselves. Obviously I haven't examine the records, not do I know if they keep records down to that level of details, but this seem like an over-zealous CM misunderstanding the rules. You can't tell me that non-Aulani direct owners at other WDW resorts get free parking and free laundry tokens, while an actual Aulani owner has to pay for those "perks" while paying their Aulani MF dues. Somehow I find it hard to believe that no part of MF dues is covering a portion of these common areas.

It will be interesting to see if there are any other reports like this. I understand charging anybody booking directly with Disney CRO, but it doesn't make sense for reservations on DVC points, especially when points are from Aulani home resort itself.

Great3
That's a really good point. That would totally MIFF me to think about non Aulani owners getting treated better. The greed being shown by Disney is frustrating and seems to me short sighted. They are really hurting the value of their product with all these new restrictions.

first I read about free parking only for blue card members only

First I have heard this, but just read the other thread. To my knowledge, it's always been those staying on a points reservation get free parking. When you insert your room card into the machine upon exiting the parking garage, the no-charge is triggered by the marker of "points" on a reservation. This is why non-owners staying on rented points would get free parking.

If they're changing some of these perks over to move away from that, that's an important point and could sway some people when considering renting points or renting a car even.

Last edited:
First I have heard this, but just read the other thread. To my knowledge, it's always been those staying on a points reservation get free parking. When you insert your room card into the machine upon exiting the parking garage, the no-charge is triggered by the marker of "points" on a reservation. This is why non-owners staying on rented points would get free parking.

If they're changing some of these perks over to move away from that, that's an important point and could sway some people when considering renting points or renting a car even.

That's right, it will factor into what people decide to do if there's really a change. However, I do think it's an over-zealous CM misunderstanding the rules (staying on points reservation versus actually needing to have a blue card membership). At least the parking policy is clearly posted on the Aulani website (not to say they can't go change it later to say it's a perk only).

Great3

Davids and other rental sites are good options. But the better option is to rent directly from a trusted DVC owner. By trusted DVC owner I mean one that has rented before, will provide references, and will offer use of a contract if requested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter