• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Booking restaurants in advance...

akmr01

Earning My Ears
Do restaurants really need to be booked before you go?? Obviously character dining etc does but general restaurants e.g Planet Hollywood, Fultons etc surely you can just walk up on the day you want to go there? I've read in some places people book their meals for nearly every night!!! Personally I would hate to book two weeks worth of meals in advance!!!

I strongly recommend booking in advance. planet hollywood is easier to just
walk-in" but most disney restaurants get booked early.

Do restaurants really need to be booked before you go?? Obviously character dining etc does but general restaurants e.g Planet Hollywood, Fultons etc surely you can just walk up on the day you want to go there? I've read in some places people book their meals for nearly every night!!! Personally I would hate to book two weeks worth of meals in advance!!!

I would advise that you book every meal every night if you dont want to wait a long time to eat. and Even with the reservations, you may have to wait a little bit for your table. We always book every meal every day we are there. Even Fultons and Planet Hollywood get very crowded. My Sister, her boy friend, and my DH went to Planet hollywood one year and didnt have ressies and had to wait 2 hours for a table.

If you aren't comfortable booking far in advance for all meals, please be prepared to go to several places to find a TS meal. You may not find anything open for a walk up in the parks, but I think resorts have more opportunities.

I have heard that if you are going during free dining or busy times.....you run an even greater risk of not having a seat.

If you are doing DDP or DxDP, I would book the majority of meals at least. Otherwise, you will have to eat CS when you paid for TS.

Personal preference. However, we do DxDP and I booked all meals in advance. I choose the park(s) I want to be in that day based on hours and map out my restaurants.

I have an 11 and 2 year old. When the family gets hungry, we all get grumpy. If you have kids, you'll need to be prepared to give up trying for walk ups and do CS.

Really your call. Just need to be prepared for many restaurants to not take walk ups. :confused3

I think it depends on what kind of dining you all depend on doing, etc but we get ADR's for everything that we are able to. We have always done the dining plan and really want to ensure that we always get to eat (and get our $ worth) where we want. Having said that though, I think at some of the restaurants that accept ADR's you would be able to walk up if you are willing to maybe dine at non-peak times etc. :)

The restaurants book months in advance during the busy season, leaving long waits for potential diners without a reservation. The popular places turn away walk-ups throughout the night, saying they are completely full.

If there are restaurants you definitely want to try, I strongly recommend making a reservation. Without prior arrangements, you are leaving your dining locations and schedule up to chance.

For many vacationers, that's just fine. They like the spontaneity and freedom of not making reservations, and from reading your post, it sounds you fall into that group. Just understand that you may have to wait a very long time for a table or eat at restaurants considered less desirable.

:)

As others have said, it depends on when you are going & where you want to eat. Slow season, you can walk up to Planet Hollywood in the afternon & get right in. But at peak dinner time, you will probably still wait, even in slow season. Even local restaurants cut staff hours if they are slow, so you will still wait for a table, because they don't have the whole restaurant open.

I'd say make reservations & then change them when you get there, if you can. Except for the few places that have credit card holds, you aren't obligated to eat anywhere, even if you have an ADR. But just remember to cancel ones you won't use, someone else might want them! :)

Yes you really need to make ADR's for most any TS restaurant you want to eat at if you plan to eat at normal meal times. You can always get lucky, but that is the exception. If you don't mind CS you will be able to find a place to eat.
Many folks expect that they will be able to walk up to the restaurant in their hotel. That is not the case at the Disney Deluxe Resorts. Even these restaurants are booked solid months in advance.
Good Luck

Yes and no... how's that for a clear answer?

1. What time of the year will you be going? If you are going during spring break, summer, thanksgiving, christmas, new years, free dining, or other busy times then you should book those ADRs on your 180 date. Otherwise, you may be able to get some walk up seating at less popular places... but that is not 100% certain.

2. Where and when do you want to eat? Do you want to go to the more popular place such as Le Cellier, Chef Mickey's, or CRT? Then you need ADR's. Do you not mind to take ANYTHING available? Then you may be okay trying for a walk up. Do you HAVE to eat at a certain time, either preference or medical? Then make an ADR, though with the knowledge that you may still have a short wait.

3. Do you have the Disney Dining Plan? Yes, make some ADRs so you don't lose those TS credits. No, then you may be willing to try walk ups because it won't matter of you can't get into a table service restaurant.

We book all our TS meals in advance.

If you have certain restaurants in mind, and want to eat at "normal" meal times, they are a must IMO. Especially if you have the dining plan, I wouldn't want to chance losing a TS credit.

Since the booking window is 180 days, many people can (and do) book that far in advance.

If you don't want to make ADR's way ahead of time, you need to be flexible. The best compromise is to call Disney dining the day before or day of, and see what's available and book a last minute ADR. I've booked lunch ADR's same day occasionally (once I booked Rose and Crown from the red call boxes across from the restaurant). You need flexibility as far as what time you will be dining, and where you will be dining. You probably won't get into a character meal, or the really popular spots, but generally, if you're flexible, you'll be able to get in somewhere. Think about resort restaurants at lunch time - they are often less crowded than the park restaurants.

You also need to be prepared to eat at a CS restaurant if you can't get into a TS restaurant. I always have a CS option in the back of my mind when trying to get into a TS restaurant last minute, so if the answer is "no", I just go with plan B.

We book all our TS meals in advance.

If you have certain restaurants in mind, and want to eat at "normal" meal times, they are a must IMO. Especially if you have the dining plan, I wouldn't want to chance losing a TS credit.

Since the booking window is 180 days, many people can (and do) book that far in advance.

Same here and I am thankful to be able to do it. When we were in the parks last August we saw signs daily that TS restaurants were full and there was no seating with out a ressie. If you have specific places you want to eat, then make the ADRs. If not and you want to "wing it", then go to counter service. The one thing I have learned about visiting WDW, planning makes it easier and more fullfilling.

We're going 3rd of May for two weeks and I really don't like the thought of making 14 bookings in advance as I feel it really puts a limit on where/when you've got to be somewhere!

I think i'm just going to have to risk it. We're not staying on site and have a car so we'll just have to go elsewhere if can't get any ADR's on the day. Have booked some character dinners and breakfasts so the kids will at least get that experience.

I don't know what I what for dinner tonight let alone what I'm going to want every night for 2 weeks in May!!! :confused3

We've done several May trips (and going again this year) and we only book a few in advance. Otherwise, we wing it. You can check in with guest services at each park and they can find you availability anywhere for that night. We haven't had any problems doing it in May but we aren't generally concerned about the time or location. We find it much more relaxing than the uber planning of meals and we've also discovered some pretty decent counter service if we can't get into a TS that floats our boats.

We've done several May trips (and going again this year) and we only book a few in advance. Otherwise, we wing it. You can check in with guest services at each park and they can find you availability anywhere for that night. We haven't had any problems doing it in May but we aren't generally concerned about the time or location. We find it much more relaxing than the uber planning of meals and we've also discovered some pretty decent counter service if we can't get into a TS that floats our boats.

I'm going to do exactly this!

We're going 3rd of May for two weeks and I really don't like the thought of making 14 bookings in advance as I feel it really puts a limit on where/when you've got to be somewhere!

I think i'm just going to have to risk it. We're not staying on site and have a car so we'll just have to go elsewhere if can't get any ADR's on the day. Have booked some character dinners and breakfasts so the kids will at least get that experience.

I don't know what I what for dinner tonight let alone what I'm going to want every night for 2 weeks in May!!! :confused3

Well there you go, this information makes a world of difference :laughing: you won't be held captive by Mickey and forced to eat hamburger after hamburger at CS. There are plenty of places to eat just outside the world

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter