Booster Seat on SWA

mylilnikita

DIS Veteran
Hi. I wanted to know if anyone knew Southwest Airline's policies on child booster seats on planes. My daughter will be 5 and is almost 40 lbs. Does she ride in the regular seat or do I put her in her booster seat? Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is an appropriate CRD?
Many child safety seats that are designed for use in automobiles are also appropriate for use on aircraft. Appropriate CRDs should have hard sides and backs, include integrated shoulder straps, and secure to a passenger seat via channels through which the seatbelt is threaded and attached. Many of these carry the FMVSS.213 insignia and/or language indicating that they are "approved for use in motor vehicles and on aircraft."

Although one might think that any type of restraint device would provide at least some degree of flight safety enhancement, this is not the case. Some child restraints may do a good job of protecting children in automobiles or in other situations, but are not appropriate for aviation use. Recent testing and research have led the FAA to ban the use on aircraft of certain types of child restraints that may be harmful to a child in the event of an aviation emergency. These include booster seats, safety belt extensions (commonly referred to as "belly belts"), and vest or harness devices that attach to an adult or to the seatbelt of the child's own seat. Although some were manufactured before the FAA's ban may carry an insignia and/or language indicating they are approved for aircraft use, please understand that they are no longer permitted

This information came from SWA's site. http://www.southwestair.com/travel_center/infants.html

I would think at 40 lbs. she would be better off in the seat with the lapbelt.

The airlines don't allow booster seats. Only the regular car seats. For me - my daughter switched to a booster around 4 years old. From then on, she has flown using the regular seatbelt on the plane. We have used towncar services that provide a booster seat to take us to/from the hotel.

i dont think theres a single booster out there approved for airline flights. even the convertable ones that are faa approved for use with the harness, are usually very specific that they are not to be used on planes as boosters.

oops. i meant to write the car seat with the 5 point restraint system. is that the same as a booster seat ?

if it is the type that is used for an older child it is called a booster seat with a 5 point harness and it is not allowed.
If it is a car seat that one would use for a baby on up through toddler years, then it is a car seat and it is allowed.
If you read the link I posted, it is pretty clear.

THe only way to be sure is if you have a booster seat with a 5 points harness, and there is a sticker on the side which states that your seat is FAA approved. MOST booster seats even with the 5 points harness are not FAA approved. If your booster seat has arm rests, or cup holders attached, your seat most likely is not FAA approved. I did a lot of research when looking for a seat for my DS 2, since he had outgrown his traditional car seat. I found that there are very few booster seats that are FAA approved, and those with the arm rests or cup holders usually aren't. I think it has to do with the width of the seat, not being able to fit in a regular airplane seat. My DD whose almost 5 doesn't fly with a car seat anymore, since she's in a belt positioning booster now. She does just fine with the lap belt.

NO booster seat regardless of FAA approval is allowed on any SWA flight and from what I gather in the following paragraph, they are not allowed on any airline.

Recent testing and research have led the FAA to ban the use on aircraft of certain types of child restraints that may be harmful to a child in the event of an aviation emergency. These include booster seats, safety belt extensions (commonly referred to as "belly belts"), and vest or harness devices that attach to an adult or to the seatbelt of the child's own seat. Although some were manufactured before the FAA's ban may carry an insignia and/or language indicating they are approved for aircraft use, please understand that they are no longer permitted

Most booster seats with a 5 points harness are consider a car seat. A true booster seat is in which it is used for seat belt positioning only. Those type of booster seats are the ones that are not allowed, ones with a 5 point harness are allowed if FAA approved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter