Borrowing Question

eandt

But Why is the Rum Always Gone?? DVC/AP
Have a question about borrowing points. We have a trip already planned for November at our home resort using 2024 points (Oct UY). If we borrow 2025 points for a Feb 2025 home resort trip would those borrowed points be used up first for the Nov trip? If so Would I need to contact MS to have them reassign the points or would it happen automatically?

They won’t. But you can modify the existing reservation and indicate which points you want used. I’d reallocate the November trip points to make sure the borrowed points are used first.

You can modify an existing reservation and indicate which points you want used. I’d reallocate the November trip points to make sure the borrowed points are used first.
Ok ty …yes this would be my plan, can I do this via the DVC site myself or have MS do it for me via chat or phone call?

Ok ty …yes this would be my plan, can I do this via the DVC site myself or have MS do it for me via chat or phone call?
You can do it yourself. Just "modify" your reservation online, and you will be asked before confirming which points you want to use. Then you can make the February booking when it's time to.

Have a question about borrowing points. We have a trip already planned for November at our home resort using 2024 points (Oct UY). If we borrow 2025 points for a Feb 2025 home resort trip would those borrowed points be used up first for the Nov trip? If so Would I need to contact MS to have them reassign the points or would it happen automatically?
You can only borrow points when you are making a reservation that will use them. Neither you nor MS can "trade" points between existing reservations. To get the borrowed points into the November reservation, you would have to cancel the February reservation that you made with the borrowed points. Then you could modify the November reservation (keeping everything the same) and the system would use up the borrowed points before taking any current use year points. Once that is done, you would rebook the February reservation.

You do risk losing the February reservation by canceling it and then rebooking it.

They make this more complicated than it should be, that is good info thank you Does the reallocation happen instantaneously or would I need to wait a period of time between the cancellation and rebooking?

They make this more complicated than it should be, that is good info thank you Does the reallocation happen instantaneously or would I need to wait a period of time between the cancellation and rebooking?

It only happens if you initiate it because MS has no way of knowing, nor should they, in how you want to use an owners points.

And, it’s really does make sense that they don’t let you borrow unless booking because it’s final.

The points are returned immediately after you cancel the trip so you can go right in, modify November and have the borrowed points attached to that and then immediately rebook Feb.

Another option is to simply book a fake trip now with borrowed points similar in amount, cancel and reallocate to November and then be ready to go at the 11 month mark with current points.

It only happens if you initiate it because MS has no way of knowing, nor should they, in how you want to use an owners points.

And, it’s really does make sense that they don’t let you borrow unless booking because it’s final.

The points are returned immediately after you cancel the trip so you can go right in, modify November and have the borrowed points attached to that and then immediately rebook Feb.

Another option is to simply book a fake trip now with borrowed points similar in amount, cancel and reallocate to November and then be ready to go at the 11 month mark with current points.
Thank you I think I get what I need to do but still question if I am able to allocate the borrowed points to my November trip via the website modification tool myself (if so I have no idea how to do this) or if I need to call/chat MS to have them do it for me.

Thank you I think I get what I need to do but still question if I am able to allocate the borrowed points to my November trip via the website modification tool myself (if so I have no idea how to do this) or if I need to call/chat MS to have them do it for me.

Yes, you can do it yourself. Once you have the borrowed points sitting in your account, you go in and modify November but don't change a thing. Make sure the contract with the borrowed points is checked (if you have more than one contract), and follow to the end...it will pick up the borrowed points and leave you with current points.

You can then make the February reservation you want!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter