Boycott Genie+?

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Thinking that the only way Disney is going to get the message is if people stay away from Genie + in droves.

I'm boycotting it!

I know this isn’t the most popular opinion, but I like it. Much better than the FP system. May suck that you have to pay for it, but I like that you do. Less people get it so you aren’t waiting in lines as long as the FP days. For the most part you get right to the merge point. I also like not having to book months in advance. I didn’t have many issues getting the rides I wanted either when we were there for spring break last year. Little tough at HS but got everything we wanted in the end.

This is in the same vein as people saying they'll boycott going to Disney parks unless the quality improves and yet the parks as packed as they ever were. I admire the dedication, but unfortunately I don't think it'll work. Genie+ was planned to come to be before Covid happened, so it was going to happen regardless.

A boycott like this will work if they see a 50% dropoff in daily sales for a month.

We haven't used it yet. Last time we were there it was Sept 2020 and it wasn't in place yet. We'll be there next week and I plan on getting it just to see how it works. I'm just glad I don't have to try and plan far out since this is a last minute trip. I think that is one place that where it is better than FP+ but my opinion isn't worth much as I haven't used it yet.

We tried it once this past August and we’re not fans. We were able to ride 3 rides in HS. What we found was unless you’re willing to spend your whole day in the park this will not pay off. We usually spend 3-5 hours in the parks. Under the old fast pass system we could pick our three rides at the times we wanted and then leave and hop to another park. So much better.

Hate to say it, but even if massive numbers of guests boycotted using Genie+, nothing would change. Its just extra add on money for Disney. Now, if attendance dropped by 30%, Disney would do something. Still not sure they would dump Genie+ (or even go back to FP if they did dump it), but they would do something. For all the complaints about prices, changes, Genie, etc. that I have seen over the past few years, the vast majority of those people still go to WDW and hand over their money. The only real boycott that would work is if WDW lost a couple million visitors a year

I guess I have a love/hate relationship.

Hate: Waking up at midnight to purchase it, waking up again at 7 to book first LL. The price: $30/pp per day and another $25/pp for ILL. Spending an extra $220 a day for our family of 4 is crazy on top of everything else.

Love: It's something to do while you're waiting in long lines. If you're strategic about it, you can use it to your advantage and ultimately save time over the day.

I still really miss the 3 Fastpasses/per day in the old days. You could book months in advance and could plan your day around it. I'm a planner so I loved this system.

I know this isn’t the most popular opinion, but I like it. Much better than the FP system. May suck that you have to pay for it, but I like that you do. Less people get it so you aren’t waiting in lines as long as the FP days. For the most part you get right to the merge point. I also like not having to book months in advance. I didn’t have many issues getting the rides I wanted either when we were there for spring break last year. Little tough at HS but got everything we wanted in the end.

I'm right there with you. We loved Genie+ and accomplished way more on our trip in June than we ever thought we would (and we were FP+ power users, so I didn't have much hope for a successful experience with Genie+. Boy was I wrong.). In fact, by day 5 of our 8-day stay, we had done everything on our must-do list that we thought would take all 8 days to accomplish. We spent the last 3 days doing 2nd, 3rd, 4th rides on certain attractions and doing things we never thought we'd have time for. While it definitely cost a lot (over $800 for 4 of us for 8 days), we felt it was worth every last penny. In the future, we'll be able to cut back to a 6 or 7 day stay if we can continue to use Genie+ the way we did in June. No boycotting here....but I hope a lot of people *do* boycott it because that will mean fewer people using it and more availability for those of us who do use it.

I guess I have a love/hate relationship.

Hate: Waking up at midnight to purchase it, waking up again at 7 to book first LL. The price: $30/pp per day and another $25/pp for ILL. Spending an extra $220 a day for our family of 4 is crazy on top of everything else.
It is not necessary to buy it at midnight. The times I've used it, we bought it around 6:45-6:50am, and never had a problem, even on peak days. (Actually, I once bought it around 9:30am, but that is not ideal.) You can buy it starting at midnight, but that is not at all necessary.

Thinking that the only way Disney is going to get the message is if people stay away from Genie + in droves.

I'm boycotting it!
Are you boycotting the cost, the rules around Genie+, or both?

I don't mind paying for Genie+ but the rules around Genie+ are idiotic.

It's here to stay so might as well get used to it. Having said that, I don't use it but I rarely used FP either. I'm a non-planner and like to just go with the flow. If I want to ride a ride, I stand in line, if I think the is too long, I skip it. I always have hoppers and I think it helps to be able to move to a different park, although I hate the 2:00 rule, I've learned how to work around it. To be honest, it helps that I've never been ride centric, we ride rides but also just enjoy the parks. Oh, I don't make ADRs in advance either, just day of.

It's a good feeling to get in line a few minutes before park close and cost Disney extra money to keep the ride operating with only standby which will happen once the LL is cleared out. I did this at 7DMT and could tell one CM was frustrated around 11:20pm or so when he said that he could finally see the end of the line.

Even better to do it on an EEH night and inconvenience those who paid $$$ to stay in a deluxe resort by eating into their time.

I don't disagree with you, but that's not going to work. I've just decided to not go to any Disney park.

Reality is once you drop a few thousand dropping a bit more for a perceived benefit isn't going to matter.

I'm sure Disney doesn't give a rats...er I mean a Mouse's rear end that we're not going, but I feel better.

I don’t like paying for it, but I have had great success with it. Better than FP and we were refresh fanatics with FP. Changing it so you can modify makes it much more useful. We went Between Christmas and New Years (so peak crazy time), rode everything we wanted multiple times and our longest wait was 35 minutes for Guardians virtual queue. I’ll skip some TS meals during a trip to pay for Genie

I for one agree, that everyone should boycott it. That way theres wide open availability when I use it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter