• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bread Bowls

Cal-Pie

DIS Veteran
On my last trip I finally had soup in a bread bowl at Pacific Wharf, (on all previous trips it had been too hot to even think about eating soup). That bread bowl was basically one of the best things this carb lover has ever eaten! If I order soup in DL, will be served in the same bread bowl, or do they come from different bakeries?

I’ve never had it in DL, but I’ve heard that it’s not as fresh. So, while good, it’s not as good as in DCA.

I’ve never had it in DL, but I’ve heard that it’s not as fresh. So, while good, it’s not as good as in DCA.

Yeah, try to go to Pacific Wharf. I agree that the bread there is the best - heavenly! You can also get whole loaves and such there too, but the soup is always great and soaks into the bread nicely.

On my last trip I finally had soup in a bread bowl at Pacific Wharf, (on all previous trips it had been too hot to even think about eating soup). That bread bowl was basically one of the best things this carb lover has ever eaten! If I order soup in DL, will be served in the same bread bowl, or do they come from different bakeries?

It does. That's a working bakery and they're putting out a lot of bread. It wouldn't even surprise me if that bakery is supplying the 7 Boudin SF locations in Southern California.

“Our ‘mother dough’ base comes from the original dough first nurtured by Isadore Boudin in 1849 in San Francisco,” says Disney Chef Juan Mendoza. The Boudin family found that the wild yeasts in the San Francisco air imparted a tang to their traditional French bread, creating the unique “San Francisco sourdough.” And the Boudin Bakery at Disney California Adventure park receives new “mother dough” directly from San Francisco every three to four weeks.​
“We use about 1.5 million pounds of flour a year,” says Chef Juan. “And it’s a combination of ingredients: well-balanced flour, water at the right PH, temperature, moisture, mixing and fermenting for 16 to 20 hours — plus a touch of passion to make every loaf perfect.”​
Actually, any time you get a taste of the tangy, chewy sourdough at Disneyland Resort, you can bet the loaf came from the Pacific Wharf bakery, says Chef Juan. Restaurants in both Disney California Adventure park and Disneyland park, and in all three hotels place orders daily with Mendoza’s team. And you can always pick up a loaf ($4.99-$7.19) to carry home.​

La Brea Bakery in Downtown Disney has clam chowder in bread bowls, but I'm pretty sure it's their own bread.

https://www.labreabakery.com/cafes/downtown-disney

Yeah, try to go to Pacific Wharf. I agree that the bread there is the best - heavenly! You can also get whole loaves and such there too, but the soup is always great and soaks into the bread nicely.

It's better in San Francisco.

Boudin-Bakery_1-800x400_c.jpg

How big are the bread bowls? I don't eat a lot at one time but the soup in a bread bowl is one of the top items I want to try. They look delicious! I wish I could share it. Is there any way to get the soup in a regular bowl and get the bread on the side? That way, if I don't finish all the bread, I could take it with me?

How big are the bread bowls? I don't eat a lot at one time but the soup in a bread bowl is one of the top items I want to try. They look delicious! I wish I could share it. Is there any way to get the soup in a regular bowl and get the bread on the side? That way, if I don't finish all the bread, I could take it with me?

Yes, ask for the soup separately. They will put it in a cardboard bowl. Ask for a bag for the bread and they will give you a plastic one so you can carry leftovers. The bowls are pretty big. About 4 servings worth of bread.

It's the same bread. You can get soup in bread bowls from Jolly Holiday, French Market, Harbour Galley, and Gumbo from Royal Verandah.

About 8 inches wide maybe 4 oz. The nutrition info says that the clam chowder with sourdough bread bowl top (which may be cut differently) is 575 calories and 290 calories for soup only. Of course portion sizes may vary slightly.

https://boudinbakery.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Boudin-Nutritional-Brochure-2.pdf
I haven't done it at Disneyland, but I have ordered from a Boudin location to go. The bag had the bread already cut and the chowder in a separate to go container.

Don't forget that there is additional seating on the other side of the building, in addition to the seating that you see when ordering your food from the water front food service. You can also sit on the brick wall as we found pushing the wheelchair to the far side was cumbersome

I read that you like the carbs in the bread.....as for others reading this thread, do not be mislead by the size of the huge loaf of bread and think that your portion of chowder or mac and cheese is proportionate to the size of bread....it is not, the serving of chowder and mac is very small, much smaller than what you anticipate at $12.00

Yes! We always order it as soup on the side. You can also mobile order, but when you get up there you need to tell them that you want the soup on the side.

I've had the soup in a bread bowl thing at French Market on every trip and every time, it is SO GOOD!

If they aren't busy I also ask if they can slice my bread through the slicing machine. That way it makes for nice quick bread snacks later in the day :-) If they are busy be prepared to have them say no.

Yes, you can order the soup in a bowl and get the bread on the side. I have heard that you can also ask for the bread to be sliced, but I have not done that myself.

Mobile order allows you to select the bread bowl on the side at Pacific Wharf. I did this just a couple of weeks ago.

Unless they've updated it from a week ago, you can do this for everything but the mac n cheese bread bowl via the app. Appears to be an oversight so should get fixed at some point I hope.

I'm just glad they finally solved their "we can't put it up for mobile order not because it's a "secret" menu item, but because we don't know if we'll run out and we need to hold it back for kids" problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter