• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Brown Derby or Mama Melrose?

3littlepeas

Mouseketeer
Trying to decide btwn the 2 for the Fantasmic! dinner package....we have 3 sons 9, 6 and 4 and they're very good eating out...Frommers really gives a "thumbs down" to Mama melrose but just wanted other people's view on this...
Thanks
Julie

Mama Melrose's it is one our must do's on each trip.Service and food has always been good.We've dined at BD and found it to be good also.This said I always give Afredo's at Epcot bad review and most just love it.I think Mama's and BD would offer you and family good food selections and good service.My DW and I love the wood fired pizza at Mama's and salads.Had steak at BD and it was great the grapefruit cake for desert at BD is yummy.::yes:: :wave2:

Have you checked out the menus at wdwig.com ? We haven't been to BD, but MM is ok, especially for lunch.

We really like Mama Melrose. We have always found the staff at this restaurant very pleasant. And the atmosphere is great for kids. My DS has been there several times with us when he was little and he enjoyed his meal. Once while we were waiting for our table, my DH and DS watched them make pizzas from the little bar area. The chef was great and explained the whole process while my son watched. I had to laugh when my DS asked the chef for his autograph :p

My bet is for Momma Melrose! Both are really good restaurants. I base my opinion on the ages of your kids and the menus! The BD is much more a grown up restaurant. The fare is more adult oriented!

IMHO

Good post 3littlepeas. I have never eaten at Mama Melrose and the menu sounds really good. Have eaten at Brown Derby and like it very much but it is more adult oriented, quite and subdued. Glad to see positive posts for Mama Melrose. It's a matter of taste. There are restaurants that others rave about that I personally do not care for. I'm looking forward to trying MM on our next trip. No matter what restaurant you pick I hope you enjoy!

My family really loves BD. We ate at MM once and didn't care for it. If you go to BD and like creme brulee, theirs is wonderful!

We love Mama Melroses.

Brown Derby is the thumbs down for us...won't ever eat there again. This is one of the few places on disney property that is highly over rated.

We did both on our last trip. I will never go to the Brown Derby again. The worst meal we had on our ten day trip. Also no atmosphere at all for children (daughter 9). Momma Melrose food was good, service much better and a much better atmosphere for children.

We ate at the Brown Derby earlier this month and it was excellent. I had the crab cake, followed by rack of lamb, and finished with the grapefruit cake. The food was perfectly prepared, and the presentation was lovely. The service was flawless.

Personally it is not a place I would chose if I had children with me. But there were many families there, and they all seemed to be enjoying themselves.

This is one of those places you go to for the atmosphere as well as the meal. Sadly, if you are not old enough to remember seeing the original BD in movies etc, some of the charm may elude you.

I love the Derby - never had a bad meal there yet. I've gone adults only and with babies as young as 9 months. Excellent food and professional service.

Mama Melrose - hit and miss. Lunch was okay - salad and pizza but dinner this past summer the worst. Don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.

I had heard negative things about Mama Melrose's, but that's all that was left when I called for Fantasmic reservations the night before.

We were pleasantly surprised. We even arrived about an hour early for our PS (at about 3) and they didn't mind seating us then. The pizza appetizer and salad were good, and the waitress thoughtfully talked us out of ordering the bruschetta since the pizza and salad were so large with the Fantasmic plan.

Best of all, it was cool, it was dark, it was at the right end of the park, and we walked out and right up to the beginning of the Stars and Motorcars parade as soon as we were done.

I had been hoping for the Brown Derby, but I wouldn't mind eating at MM again. My sister and her family ate at the BD that same day and were disappointed (kids 9 and 7), so I suspect it's more of a dinner for two kind of place :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter