Brugsmania

marlasmom

DIS Veteran
Three that I have in pots from last year are going to bloom I think. I'm praying in any event. I bought two at Lowes which were blooming and put them in the ground. I just got 4 more from Park Seed and put them in pots - although one expert I met at the plant sale said to put them in the ground.

I visited a water nursery that is going out of business. They gave me 3; cuttings from their brugsmania. Two have died,, but one seems to be rooting.

I notice all the catalogs seem to have them now. Park, Wayside, White Flower Farm and I think Spring Hill.

The scent is just heavenly. They can winter over in the house or even the garage if you are in a cold zone. Try one. They are just beautiful. When mine get bigger I will take cuttings. In the meantime I still have purple datura seeds which I will gladly send to anyone who wants some.

I've never heard of Brugsmania before. When it comes to technical terms for plants, I get lost-lol. I would be interested in trying some datura seeds-I'll send you a pm right now.

Isn't this Datura innoxia? It's pretty poisonous though the blooms are stunning.

Hi Marlasmom! Which brugs do you have?
I have Brug Versicolor - White (Alba), Brug Candida - Charles Grimaldi, and Brug Suaveolens- frosty Pink.
Frosty pink is my favorite, although Charles Grimaldi seems much more generous with its blooms.
So far, only my Alba has blooms on it. Come on Frosty Pink! :D

Yes, Brugs and Datura are poisonous, as is just about everything else in my garden. That's a great point! My children are taught not to pick even a strawberry without first asking me.

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/ento/PLANT.HTM

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/ento/PLNTHOUS.HTM
http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/ento/PLNTGRDN.HTM
http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/ento/PLNTORNA.HTM

I don't have any named varieties although the man at Leu Gardens decided I have a pink insignis. White with a one-inch pink border at the bottom. Beautiful. I enjoyed your sites. You really are a gardener. My neighbor is a horticulturist at WDW and he tells me they removed their datura because kids were picking it and getting high. I agree - I have oleander, pointsettas and lots of other "poisonous" plants. Kids are not allowed to touch. Not a problem.

Hi marlasmom! I looked up your pink insignis, and from the photo it looked a lot like my Frosty Pink! It's gorgeous! Good luck to both of us getting our pretty pinks to bloom. :D

BTW, I only know the names of mine, because the guy who sold them to me sent me neat little print outs with growing instructions and names. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a clue. ;)

Dandave - you might like to go to gardenweb.com and read the brugsmania forum. I think it says that the Grimaldi is one of the fastest growing most prolific. I see you are in Florida. What area? Do you have yours in the ground or in pots?

Good Morning, marlasmom! I lurk over at the GW quite a bit. I've learned so much just by reading there.

I have all my brugs in the ground. I have five big ones, and several smaller ones that I rooted from fall cuttings. Actually, I just stuck them in the dirt and they took care of themselves.

Yeah, CG does get large very quickly. I had to keep cutting it back last year, as a matter of fact. It's on one corner of my house, and DH kept complaining that it was "getting too big". There's no such thing as too large a brugmansia, IMHO. I'm in Panama City Beach. :D

Dandave the brugs at Slocum Gardens were about 30 feet tall. The place is up for sale and I suspect - like so many developments around here - they will be cut down.

If my brugs are big enough (4 feet now) and you can tell me how and when to do it I'll be glad to send you a cutting of either my peach or shredded white. I have read that woody cuttings are best but I don't think I have any.

30 feet tall! DH would croak! ;)
I honestly am not much of a gardner. I experiment. I putz in the yard. I learn by trial and error. I'm ever so grateful when something survives my messing and decides to grow. :teeth:
I have started brugs from both green and woody cutting. The green cutting (older, with little nubbies) seem to like to start in sand with heavy watering every day, or at least every two days. I just leave the top leaves on, and stick them into sand. They will look really limp for several days up to a week, but then they will perk up and take off.
The woody cuttings I have started in just plain old yard dirt. There is one corner of my back yard that is good, black, organic dirt. It wasn't covered by the awful new construction, red clay fill, that they dumped in the rest of the yard. Last fall I had quite a few brug cuttings. Some I just stuck in the dirt back there vertically, and some I buried shallowly, horizontally. Many of them took, and I never watered them or anything. I found that both the horizontal and vertical types rooted on their own, so I really can't say which is better.

I would love a peach brug, thank you! I honestly have no idea which of my presently growing cuttings are which, because I just stuck them in the ground willy nilly. I'll start some "true" cuttings for you, however. Just let me know which you'd like. Please feel free to PM me.

I may beg you for a piece of Charles Grimaldi some time. The brug forum doesn't seem to address when and how to take cuttings. Can you tell me. I'll be glad to send you some peach. I LOVE sharing things from the garden. I'm now into plumeria as well and that's frustrating and fun. I don't know where the town you live in is, but one of the people on the plumeria forum is having a party on April 24. He has two ponds and thousands of plants and says no one ever goes away empty-handed. Maybe you would like to go.

Hi marlasmom! Thank you! As for when, well it's when the green cuttings get little "nubbies" or "bumps" on them. The new roots will sprout from those nubbies. When you see the nubbies, just cut off that green stem. Leave the top leaves on, stick it in well drained sand, water it daily, and it will root.
I'll start you a piece of my CG, and I'll let you know when it roots. If you're unable to start a piece of peach for me from my very poor instructions, then I'd still like to send you a CG.
I'm way over on the Gulf Coast, about 1 and a half hours from Pensacola.

marlasmom, The CG cutting is in the dirt. Keep your fingers crossed (knock on wood, chant, etc...) that it takes! ;) I'll keep you posted!

Dandave - thank you VERY much. Should I take the cutting now - or wait until it blooms. I seem to get new leaves from the nubbies. Going to the brug board to see if they have instructions.

marlasmom, There is no need to wait until your brugs bloom to take cuttings. The nubbies do produce leaves above ground. When they are buried in dirt (or suspended in water), however, they will produce roots.
It's like planting a tomato deeper than it was originally grown. Roots will come out of the stem where leaves would have grown.

There are much better rooting directions than mine in the GW brugmansia FAQ here:
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/brug/

Once you root your first one, you'll have more brugs than you know what to do with. ;)

I do I do if you still have some. Will send you a PM

I love Angels Trumpets and Devil Trumpets and have been looking for purple for a long time!!!

Thank you Thank you Thank you

Mal

Jan I will send you some brug cuttings later in the year when mine have matured a little more. I won't root them - you can do it. That's how the people on the brug forum do it.

Maleficent2, From one of the cuttings I stuck in the ground last fall, I found a tiny, sad, neglected, little brug today. He was pretty much on my property line in the grass, and goodness knows how many times he's been run over with the mower. I dug him up and stuck him in a pot. I don't have a clue which brug variety he is, but I could tell you if and when he ever blooms. (I only have three varieties, so the color will determine the named variety.)
I warn you that he is tiny, but he has a good looking root system. If you'll PM with your address, then he's yours. He needs love!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter