bubba's mom's annual trip report to Univ...wait! WHAT?! NO Universal?!?!?!?!

barb it did have some rocks (but the blessed quiet was a worthwhile trade off). Unless using fins (& there's really no need @ CC) we don swimmie shoes & really glad we did...

the dreaded sea urchins were in port:scared1:both adult & the other 2 beaches

watched bodies carried out each day, seriously the people were fussing terrible, thank God all adults. I would've freaked if kids had been involved.

mr managed to get one shard stuck in his foot when he was changing into his crocs up @ beach chairs before heading back to ship which i pulled out with tweezers back on board, quite a sturdy thing.

lots of our stuff was covered with the spiney things:rolleyes1 they tend to attach to things ala velcro. I even found one embedded in bottom of my croc sandal the 1st day @ WDW...left a permanet divet. amazing i didn't get stopped @ customs for bringing in contraband lol.

the dreaded sea urchins were in port:scared1:both adult & the other 2 beaches

watched bodies carried out each day, seriously the people were fussing terrible, thank God all adults. I would've freaked if kids had been involved.

mr managed to get one shard stuck in his foot when he was changing into his crocs up @ beach chairs before heading back to ship which i pulled out with tweezers back on board, quite a sturdy thing.

lots of our stuff was covered with the spiney things:rolleyes1 they tend to attach to things ala velcro. I even found one embedded in bottom of my croc sandal the 1st day @ WDW...left a permanet divet. amazing i didn't get stopped @ customs for bringing in contraband lol.

:eek: OMG!! I'd run a screamin!

Jellyfish are bad enuf!!! :eek: Do they hurt like jellys?

Day 13 -- Wednesday, July 13

Cruise Day 4 -- Falmouth, Jamaica

Today's Compass.

Of course we slept in this morning, and with a late docking in Jamaica, 10am-ish, we knew we wouldn't have an early 'gangway' awakening. I think I woke up around 8:30 or so and put the tv on so the guys would start to wake up. We put Graham Seymour's Morning Show on in the morning....some days it's pretty funny, other's...well, we just kinda haveta wonder?

Since breakfast in Windjammer was only being served until 11, we decided to get moving. I think we left for there about 9:45 or so? It's definitely more crowded earlier in the morning.

Since we were in no hurry today, today was the day I picked to take some pictures of the breakfast buffet offerings. The usual: biscuits/gravy, croisssant, pancakes, MTO omlet (that also does eggs any way you like), scrambled eggs w/ ham (had w/ mushrooms another day....so check each day what's in the scrambled eggs), sausage, bacon, toast (wheat & white), hard boiled eggs, the milk and yogurt station, waffles and french toast, bacon and sausage (I did see turkey sausage offered also), a nice variety of Kellogg's cereals, pastries...assortment of muffins and donuts and here too, breads, bagels and english muffins, hashbrowns (& I forget what's next to them?), oatmeal, grits, fruit: 1, 2 and 3...and of course....juice.

After breakfast, I took this picture out the window of Jamaica. We haven't been here since '93. The water was as pretty as I'd remembered. I also remembered to take a picture of Portofino and Chops. This is also the bar area in the front (entrance) of Windjammer. We had to run back to our room real quick to grab the other camera and stuff and then head ashore.

Now, we book excursions early on...way before sail date. While checking out excursions, they were a minimum $99/pp, most were an hour drive (either to Montego Bay or Ocho Rios) and there really wasn't anything we REALLY wanted to do. We decided it would be a lazy day and just take a quick walk around the port area.

The port area is coming along...there's more finished there than I thought there'd be. It's a very nice area and a lot of shopping. Although we didn't buy anything, we did take a lot of pictures and enjoyed this area very much.

Pictures of the port area: 1, 2, Diamonds International had just opened here, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13.

We went thru port area and decided to go into town. We weren't going to buy anything, or take any tours, but we wanted Bubba to experience a little bit of Jamaica. We weren't going to be long, just take a short walk and go right back to the ship. Pictures from our venture out of the port area and into town: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, busy place, 7 and 8. On our way back to the ship, I noticed we were crossing Falmouth St. and 9.

The local town wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but not more than a few minutes would go by without a local offering a tour or hairbraiding. They are very organized. They wear neat 'uniform' looking clothes and have nice laminated books with all the tours listed with a pictures and descriptions inside. And, yes, of course, there was the half a dozen "braid your hair?" offers up the first block. This is the worst part...just OUTSIDE the port area. Once we turned a corner, it wasn't so much the ''braid your hair?'' as it was the 'tours' people.

After we took some pix & video, we headed back toward the ship. Our son was very uncomfortable with people approaching him and asking him things. One lady, who was actually really nice, tried to not only get ME to braid my hair, but she tried to convince Bubba to let her braid his hair! Funny thing is, I can't even get him to wear a ponytail at home for 5 seconds, let alone have her braid his hair I'm guessing they are used to rejection since they seem to be nice about it when you say 'no thank you'.

Although we had our passports on us, we only needed to show our Seapass at security to enter the port area. We walked around the port area some more, taking yet more pictures. Port area pix: I actually stopped to read some of the signs/posters along the way this time. History of Jamaica, the History of Falmouth, the History of Henry Morgan, the Arrival of Columbus, the ship, 1, 2, 3, putting up a lightpole, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, the token Harley place, get your dance on, 10 and returning to the ship for some pictures from the top deck.

Back aboard, we were going to the top deck to take pictures and passed by the H20 Zone. Pictures: here and here. And I couldn't remember if I took a picture of the self-serve soda machine instructions (I had), but I took the picture anyway. While in the area, we grabbed some ice cream and sat in the shade for a little bit before going out and taking our pictures.

Pictures from the top deck: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Passing to the other side of the ship for port side pix: (remember when I said I'd take pictures of the same thing over and over? This would be one of those times...) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13.

Pictures port side: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14.

Then we walked and moved to a different part of the ship for yet more pictures: (again, pictures I've already taken before: here and here and Johnny Rockets) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.

While up here, we stopped by Flowrider. It was closed, and apparently it's a good time for the staff to work on their moves. We watched her for a few minutes and left. And while up here and walking by it, a picture of the Wall. We headed toward the bow of the ship for some pictures, and had to take picture of this lady. My husband thought it was funny to see: a lady reading a fake book under a fake tree.

We got to the front of the ship and took a few more pictures: 1, 2 and 3.

After our pictures, we went to the Screening Room to watch "Little Fockers". We were about 20 minutes early and thought we'd be the only ones in there, but 2 other parties showed up with about 5 minutes till show time. A family and an elderly couple. For a movie title referenced to the kids, they weren't in it much? Shoulda been titled "Focker Relationships" or something along those lines. Otherwise, cute movie, extremely uncomfortable seats. Be forewarned there. Even though my husband wanted to see the movie Hereafter, when it was scheduled to be shown in the Screening Room, he'd pass on it just because the seats are THAT uncomfortable. :sad2:

After the movie, we decided on a small bite for lunch, to hold us over till dinner. We wanted to check out the Jade offerings at Windjammer, so we headed in that direction. And, of course, taking pictures along the way: We stopped by our room to use the restroom first, and my husband was just being silly here, 1, 2 and 3.

We looked for the Jade offerings at Windjammer, but couldn't find any. We asked someone and they said it was from 6-8pm only. :confused3 I would have thought it'd been out for the entire dinner? But...we'll check later, before our dinner. Since we were already here, decided to have lunch here. Took some pictures of some of the lunch offerings: taco fixin's, I have no idea what this is, sammiches, burger fixin's, burgers: turkey & beef, pizza and fries, hot dogs, more sammiches, bread and eggsalad, tuna and more salads. It wasn't crowded and we had a table with a view.

After viewing Jamaica from the Windjammer, DH wanted to check out the ship and went off with my camera, while Bubba & I went back to the cabin. I believe he went to the bow of the ship. The pictures he took: passing the pool area, from the bow of the ship, and here too and a look back.

While Bubba was watching tv, I took a peek out the window. I noticed a little boy at the re-entry to the ship who appeared to be lost. (Our cabin was right above the entrance to the ship, remember?) I'm guessing his folks are in port freaking out he's missing....but, like my son said he'd do, this kid went back to the ship. I don't think he was out there long, because I kept looking out the window to see if he was out there, and it was about 15 minutes from when I first noticed to my last look when he was gone. Could you imagine 'losing' your kid in a foreign country?

DH soon returned and we hung out in our room and watched tv till it was time to get ready for dinner. Tonight wouldn't take long, it was casual nite.

We needed to be ready in plenty of time prior to dinner to check out the Jade in Windjammer and to see the Freedom.com Ice Show at 7pm. Now before you wonder how I got tickets, because I haven't been up earlier than 8am this whole trip so far, I can tell you I got them from Guest Relations desk. (They normally have a line to get them in early in the morning, and not being a 'morning person', I never got up early to go get them.) Remember when I put some credit on Bubba's Seapass? They happened to have a stack of tickets just sitting there on the counter. So I grabbed 3. :teeth: I don't know if they just didn't get all handed out when they were handing them out in the morning, or they had printed too many or what. But, our plan before dinner was Jade & the Ice Show.

We left just before 6:30 for the 7pm Ice Show, to get in line early to get a good seat, figuring we had time to catch the Jade offerings after the Ice show and before our dinner.

First...the Ice Show. They only show it 2x/day for only 2 days. Not sure why unless the cast works in other shows? Anyhow, the show was awesome and they did ice dancing/skating to the 60s, 70s, martial arts and a couple did a little show where she kept "changing" on the ice. Not in front of everyone, but wrapped in a banner, or a ring of tinsel, or another prop. There was a lot of themes and skating and it was a great show. The skaters got a standing ovation from the audience when they were through. I highly recommend you don't miss this show. The things those people do on ice, in a tiny rink yet, is just simply amazing. I wish I'd taken more pix during the show, but I was afraid the flash would go off accidentally and blind someone skating! (We were in the center of the front row.) So, I only have pictures from the end: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. If you're really curious, just google "freedom.com ice show" and you can see the many videos posted. :goodvibes

After the Ice show, we used the restrooms in the elevator lobby. When I came out, the guys were outside on deck and told me to come out. There was a beautiful sunset going on and we had to go out to see and take pix. I have a bunch of pictures (shocking, right?), but I'll just post a few: my son & I, another one of us...me with hair blowin' everywhere! :laughing: And, as you can tell by the hair, again, it's w.i.n.d.y. out there! ...but, we got a decent picture...finally! I only have one picture of father & son, I think it's because it came out really good. And after a few shots of hair everywhere, Bubba finally got a nice picture of us. Sunset pix sans people: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and this last pic looks like a guitar on the left side of the picture.

After deck pix, we wanted to check out what it looked like up front...so to the helipad we went. Beautiful. A few pictures from up front: 1, 2 and 3. Looked cool sailing away from Jamaica with the moon out. After some more pix, we needed to head to dinner. And yes, that means we totally forgot to check out the offerings at Jade. Crud.

Tonights menu: Vitality, Appetizers, Entrees and Desserts. We ordered: cream of mushroom soup and the seafood laksa soup. Bubba didn't order any appetizer, but our server brought him out the chicken & cabbage dumplings. He didn't like them, but I thought they were very good. Tonight during appetizers, was the night the kids club blessed us with their pirate song and invaded the dining room. We got a couple of pictures, but none came out really well since we were so far away.

For dinner, Bubba & I each had lasagna al forno and DH had surf and turf . Actually, it wasn't 'lobster' night surf and turf, but rather 'shrimp'. Our server told us next formal night would be the lobster surf and turf. Meh, it didn't matter, he said it was good! For dessert we ordered banana cream pie. I wasn't going to get anything and the server tried to talk me into something. (sometimes I wonder if they've got to start moving some food out of the kitchen the later it gets?) He mentioned the passion-berry mousse, but I declined. Then he tried the pineapple parfait, nope, I don't care for pineapple. Then he tried the coconut creme brulee. Not a fan of the coconut, I passed. He convinced me to try it saying there was barely a coconut taste to it. So, reluctantly, I agreed to try it. Hate to say, but he was right. There was hardly any coconut taste to it. I think I ate about half of it...DH had a taste or two also.

After dinner, we checked to see if our photo from the day was there and it was. We put it with our other pictures and then went to Cupcake Cupboard to get Bubba a cupcake. He didn't care for any of the dessert offerings at dinner, so we told him he could buy a cupcake.

We wanted to test his card, so we let him do his very first onboard cruise purchase. Had to teach him to sign receipt and such. While there, again, I took pictures of the cupcakes: strawberry lemonade, this one I thought was interesting... hhmmm, I think she told me peanut butter w/ strawberry icing, vanilla chocolate, that dreaded coconut flavor again, an interesting key lime and one little oreo left.

We took his cupcake 'to go' and took it back to the room and then headed to the arcade with him. He said he had trouble loading credits to his card, but we got him all straightened out. We left him behind to play and we went to the Love & Marriage Show. While waiting for the show to start, the 'Kiss Cam' was on and picking couples out of the audience. Some were great, others got a "that's the best you can do?" and some really hammed it up for the camera! There was 2 girls sitting between 2 guys in the audience and they showed all 4 of them sitting in the row (with half of the guys cut off on the ends). Being fun, silly, or just drunk, the 2 girls ended up kissing each other and the entire theater started roaring with laughter. They got a big kick out of themselves.

It wasn't too long after that kiss that the show was ready to begin. Graham came out on stage and asked where those girls were sitting. They got his attention and he said, "I live on Deck 2." That just made everyone laugh then... Made me think though, how cool is it to be able to say, "I live on Deck ....".

It was a great show and Graham did a good job with the contestants. I swear he has HAD to done stand up comedy somewhere along the line. He's like a comedian in a cruise director's job! During the show, he ended up talking briefly about the showers onboard and how they remind him of the tubes at the drive-thru at the bank (since they are circular). He made some sort of joke about how he's waiting for that wicked flush onboard while he's showering and to be sucked up to the Windjammer...from the shower.... I'll tell ya this, I'll never be able to use that service at the bank without thinking of the showers onboard Freedom again.

After the show we went back to the cabin. Bubba was there eating his cupcake with some milk he got from the Cafe. He'd just gotten back after hanging out in the arcade for the time we were at the show.

We got ready for bed and called it a night at about midnight.

We have an early morning tomorrow. Setting the alarm for 7am.

Big day in Grand Cayman snorkeling tomorrow. Yay!

Again more wonderful pictures.....what a great day you had. I had to smile at you not wanting to blind an ice dancer with the flash.......that could have been interesting!!!

Love the sound of strawberry lemonade cupcakes........:lovestruc I have a real love for flavoured lemonades as we don`t really have them over here. But the food looks so lovely at every meal.

Looking forward to Grand Cayman :thumbsup2

:eek: OMG!! I'd run a screamin!

Jellyfish are bad enuf!!! :eek: Do they hurt like jellys?

they didn't 'get' me:woohoo:can't say but people seriously were acting like they were in excrutiating pain

dave (with the rotten thing in his foot) managed to limp/run down the runway for me to retrieve my fav hat that went airborne on tram ride back to family beach.:rolleyes1.

jamaica mon' we're big on reggae, but have avoided that port thus far due to unfavorable reps. Looks nice from your pics:confused3 Were there lots of bands in evidence portside?

confused re the tix for ice show...was it a 1st come 1st served every night thing? you'd think they limit guests to 1 per show to allow everybody a chance for smaller venue type shows on such a big ship as they do with blue man on NCL.

dave (with the rotten thing in his foot) managed to limp/run down the runway for me to retrieve my fav hat that went airborne on tram ride back to family beach.:rolleyes1.

awww...what a sweetie :goodvibes

jamaica mon' we're big on reggae, but have avoided that port thus far due to unfavorable reps. Looks nice from your pics:confused3 Were there lots of bands in evidence portside?

The port area is still under construction, but it's getting there. There's dancing, (bands), stilt walkers, pirates...just "fun" there. Shops are getting there too...right now it's the permittable 'local' sales...and they aren't pushy (in the port area). It's not bad, but not a lot because still under construction. We walked to outside the gated port protected area. They weren't bad either...lots of the hair braiding and tour people comin atcha. Most people seem to do the ship sponsored excursions, but like I said, minimum $99 pp and most included a ride of at least 30minutes...not interested. But, some of their excursions get really good reviews too. For us it was just a "been there, done that" day.... It's not like Cayman with all the shops and such right there...it's actual Jamaica. The yellow building was the courthouse and seemed to always have a line out the door :confused3

confused re the tix for ice show...was it a 1st come 1st served every night thing? you'd think they limit guests to 1 per show to allow everybody a chance for smaller venue type shows on such a big ship as they do with blue man on NCL.

The tickets used to be handed out like 8 or 9am (time/place was in the Compass). You went to the designated place at that time and waited in a line as they handed out tickets. The tickets gave you entrance to the rink without waiting in 'standby' line. If it wasn't full, the last 10 minutes prior to showtime, they'd let those without tickets in to fill the seats. That's why when I saw them on counter at GS, I snatched 3.

Freedom now let's you pre-book your show online prior to the cruise. They had been doing this on Oasis & Allure, and a couple weeks after we sailed, they started doing it on the Freedom. You prebook the Ice Show just like you would specialty dining or an excursion.

ah, thanx for explaining, that's certainly a reasonable re way to dole out the tix.

Curious to hear how you felt such a big ship fared in handling tendering @ grand cayman (assume ship booked excursions 1st?).

Curious to hear how you felt such a big ship fared in handling tendering @ grand cayman (assume ship booked excursions 1st?).

impatient aren't you? :laughing: WE'RE NOT THERE YET!!!! :upsidedow

It didn't seem any different than last year on Carnival. :confused3 Let's face it...when you tender, you wait.

We just so happened to finish breakfast and run to grab our stuff and head for the tender (1 deck right below us :teeth: ) when there was NO line for getting off the ship. Score.

When we got on the tender, we went downstairs (cuz up top was full) and the ONLY seats left available were the Physically Disabled seats (2 short benches I think). Since nobody was there, we sat there (cuz people were still coming ON the tender). We figured anyone who needed assistance was already onboard and IF they needed them, we'd happily give them up. But, I did wonder: most of the time, people who use those seats don't "do" stairs...and we had to come down the stairs to sit in those seats...:confused3 Maybe they just reserve them for the people with them?

Tendering was the same as any other time we tendered (back in '03 at CocoCay w/ RCI). It is what it is. I think there used to be a day where they'd hand out tender #s and you'd have to wait for your # to be called...not anymore. It's stand in line. Only plus, the later you get off, the less line there is. Everyone wants off first thing. When we left for BREAKFAST, people were backed up the stairs to the next deck (ours) waiting for the tender to start going. :sad2: Tendering back in...made sure we weren't catching the LAST tender. That line will make you want to shoot yourself! :sad2:

so...didn't notice any difference on this ship.... Does that help any?

yes it does:)TU. NCL gave out tix, CCL didn't even when we paid big $ to rent cabana on Half Moon Cay. It just makes sense to me that it'd be a carrot of sorts for guests to actually book those pricey ship excursions kwim? ah well, carry on...no hurry;)

I am finally caught up with Day 12. It took me two days. Claire had to sit and watch the videos with me and she is very jealous of all the stuff Ryan got to do. I think she would even give up a Disney cruise to go on this one. :goodvibes
That island is just beautiful! I never knew there were mountains there either, but boy they are gorgeous.
Yay for the cupcakes! I have been eyeing them each time you post a picture.
I am amazed at how well you all skate. I haven't skated on ice skates for at least 13-15 years and I could barely even stand on them. (I don't rollerblade either). I need ice Skates like regular roller skates to balance me a little better.
It was also nice to hear your voice on the video. I don't think I have heard it before.

Now to catch up on the next day! :thumbsup2

Thanks...it's become my latest Disney addiction. :yay:

A little hijack here.
I have a Phineas and Ferb trip report going. I took my Daughters dolls to Disney with me and took pictures of them for her. If you are interested come and take a read.

Ferb, I know what we're gonna do today

Ok...shameless plug over. :flower3:

Score on the ice show tickets! Looks like it was worth the effort (or luck as the case may be ;) ).

Were the Screening Room seats hard or too small or what? I hate sitting and trying to concentrate on something like a movie when all I can think is "my butt hurts". :laughing:

Soooo... did you and Randy get on the kiss cam?
:rolleyes1

I am finally caught up with Day 12. It took me two days. Claire had to sit and watch the videos with me and she is very jealous of all the stuff Ryan got to do. I think she would even give up a Disney cruise to go on this one. :goodvibes
That island is just beautiful! I never knew there were mountains there either, but boy they are gorgeous.
Yay for the cupcakes! I have been eyeing them each time you post a picture.
I am amazed at how well you all skate. I haven't skated on ice skates for at least 13-15 years and I could barely even stand on them. (I don't rollerblade either). I need ice Skates like regular roller skates to balance me a little better.
It was also nice to hear your voice on the video. I don't think I have heard it before.

Now to catch up on the next day! :thumbsup2

A little hijack here.
I have a Phineas and Ferb trip report going. I took my Daughters dolls to Disney with me and took pictures of them for her. If you are interested come and take a read.

Ferb, I know what we're gonna do today

Ok...shameless plug over. :flower3:

You could do this cruise....it was longer and cheaper than Disney too :rolleyes1 At least you know she'd be excited about Labadee.

They have ice skating lessons too. So, if you wanted to do those, you could. I don't know if there is any extra charge for the lessons tho? That session was just finishing up when we arrived and there was only about a half a dozen people in that lesson session....so, MUCH less crowded. Probably helpful if you want to reacquainted with ice skating.

Cupcakes.....well...at $2.50 a pop, they were good enuf to look at. Don't get me wrong, we aren't cheap on vacation, but they didn't taste any different than the ones at home. I guess it's one of those LOOK better things? :confused3

you know you can hijack/plug ur trippie...happens all the time... :laughing:

Were the Screening Room seats hard or too small or what? I hate sitting and trying to concentrate on something like a movie when all I can think is "my butt hurts". :laughing:

Soooo... did you and Randy get on the kiss cam?
:rolleyes1

Oh those freakin seats! :headache: They LOOKED comfy. They weren't small...regular size. It was only after sitting for a while that I noticed my butt hurt. I didn't think they were 'hard'...but maybe they were? I don't know exactly what it was, but after a while, I had to keep shifting my weight and moving around. A-nnoying!

You can't get on the kiss-cam when you are in the absolute last row :rotfl: We wanted a quick getaway, so opted for the back. Could see/hear everything just fine...so, why not? ;) (he did say if we did make it on there, he'd give a good show tho :teeth: )

Just finished up reading the Jamaica day. Wow! That water was beautiful! Sounds like you had a really fund day even though you didn't do a lot at port. I think with $99 excursions, that would be my choice too.
I had to laugh when you said he took pictures of a lot of the same things....now you know I would never do such a thing. :lmao:

The ice show looked really neat. Every so often when we go to the circus we see one of those acts who changes the girls outfit like 10 times. I am always amazed by that. Espcieally the ones where they just throw like glitter all over her and she then has a new outfit. I can't even see how they change that fast....or I wonder if it's lighting. It baffles me.
This ship looks so fun. I might have to look into it. The thing is Skip wouldn't want to be a ship for 7 days. He actually hates days at sea, so even 1 for him is too many. But he has only been on one cruise, so maybe we can persuade him, especially now that we have a littler one to keep us occupied.
I am just loving this report! :thumbsup2

This ship looks so fun. I might have to look into it. The thing is Skip wouldn't want to be a ship for 7 days. He actually hates days at sea, so even 1 for him is too many. But he has only been on one cruise, so maybe we can persuade him, especially now that we have a littler one to keep us occupied.
I am just loving this report! :thumbsup2

He can't base cruising on the ONE he did. Tell him he needs to experience more ships and "get out there" ;)

There aren't many cruises (i don't think) that don't have sea days. You need at least 1 or 2... besides, those are the best days to relax. You just have to look for a fun ship with minimal sea days. They're out there....

He can't base cruising on the ONE he did. Tell him he needs to experience more ships and "get out there" ;)

There aren't many cruises (i don't think) that don't have sea days. You need at least 1 or 2... besides, those are the best days to relax. You just have to look for a fun ship with minimal sea days. They're out there....

I totally agree. I'll keep working on him. When I wanted to go on the cruise in 2009 he himmed and hawed around and finally said no way, but then this year he suggested it, so I know after lots of persistance he does change.
I got my Claire bear on my side too. She talks about going on a cruise ALL the time.

Day 14 -- Thursday, July 14

Cruise Day 5 -- GeorgeTown, Grand Cayman

Today's Compass.

I was up for the sunrise this morning! Holy cow!!! That like NEVER happens. But, today we had an early snorkel excursion. 10am. Bubba on the other hand.... He's at 'that age' where he likes to sleep in and does not do mornings.

Our excursion tickets told us to meet at 9:45 on shore and it also said to allow 45 minutes to tender in. We set the alarm for 7am and by 7:30 we were at Windjammer for breakfast. The longest part of breakfast is finding a table, especially on a port day and early in the morning. Most people have plans and are trying to eat and get off the ship. It doesn't take us long to eat luckily. After breakfast, we went back to our cabin to get changed into our swim clothes and grab what we'd need for the day.

We had hardly any wait getting off the ship and onto the tender. The tender was almost full, but we did manage to find some of the last few seats and we left not long after we boarded the tender. I didn't realize it was only 8:50am.

We were walking ON Grand Cayman just a few minutes before 9am. We had time to kill, so we walked around a little bit. We took some pictures and some video. We had walked to the left of where we got off the ship this year. Last year we walked into the shopping area to the right. Should have gone that way again, but I wanted to see what was the other direction. Not much.

Pictures while in Grand Cayman: There was also the Carnival Conquest in port with us that day. The ship, only a short walk to a kayak excursion, this is our "this year" & "next year" picture (because next year we are going sailing in the BVI) and Bubba waiting patiently for us to take video and pictures....either that, or he wasn't "awake" yet?

We walked around for a while and went back to the meeting area for excursions. I thought they'd have a sign or banner up to meet at, but turns out, just a member of the staff was standing where you enter the port area, from the ship, holding a sign. We had been there earlier than her and that's why we didn't see her when we first got onto land. We just decided to hang out and wait the last 15 minutes or so for our excursion to begin. In that short amount of time, we saw two brides (not together) arrive for their weddings. They looked beautiful. Once everyone arrived for our excursion, we headed toward our motorcoaches. I would have rathered her NOT walk through all the Carnival people gathering around for their excursions because we did get separated walking toward our motorcoach. Spread it out and meet further out where there's more room to walk. :mad:

We did board our motorcoaches (three I think) and they drove us to Seven Mile Beach. Unfortunately, the only picture I took here was of the waverunners. Apparently this is where we were catching our catamaran. It wasn't a long ride, about 10-15 minutes or so. Through the shopping and hotel area. It's a very nice area and ride.

Once at the beach, the catamaran pulled right up to the beach, and, after signing our waivers, we got on. We like the catamarans with the steps vs. the ladders, it's so much easier...especially for the boy. We grabbed a seat up in the front and settled in for the ride.

Random catamaran pix: the view from the catamaran, hoisting the sail. It's just so beautiful, here are some pictures on our way to our first snorkel site: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and how far from port we were. It was such a nice sail out to our spot... DH & I even saw a sea turtle in the water diving down. Unfortunately it was too far away to get a picture, but it was cool to see.

Our first stop to snorkel was the USS Kittiwake. It's a ship they purposely sank for a reef. It just so happened when they sank it, it landed upright on the bottom. It was an awesome sight. I took many pictures while DH took video. This was also the first snorkeling excursion we've done where the lifevests were optional. Every other time they were mandatory. We prefer not to use them and Bubba was going to try and snorkel without it, but Dad told him to wear a vest....just in case.

DH was in the water first, then Bubba, me behind him, and then me (the usual order). At first he said the water was cold. I reminded him to give it a minute, it'll feel perfect...and it did. Then we were off to see the sunken ship.

Pix from the Kittiwake snorkel: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 and 49.

We were here for a while and then it was back on the catamaran to head to a reef to snorkel. This time Bubba didn't wear a lifevest and he did really well without it. I always forget how salty that water really is and how you just float...even if you don't try!

This reef was actually a series of five reefs. It was in sections and you could see exactly where they were in the water. My husband was off right away and I stayed with the Bubba. We were swimming on out over the reefs and some of them were really shallow! If I would have reached my hand down I would have touched some of them! This sort of freaked Bubba out a bit, he wasn't used to such shallow reefs. But, we went around some of the higher parts and made it about half way out.

Pix from the reef snorkel: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16.

Then he complained something bit him on the back of his leg. :confused: I looked but didn't see anything. He wasn't happy anymore and wanted to go back to the catamaran. That was fine, so I took his hand and toward the catamaran we went. I made sure he got back up on it okay and then I started to go back out and there was my husband! He'd been all the way out and back already! :laughing: So, we took some pictures and I told him what happened with the boy and we went out checking out the reef together. I noticed in the distance there was rain. I wasn't worried because we were in beautiful water and off to snorkel together.

I found a school of yellowtails just hanging out and took their picture. I was taking a lot of pictures while my husband was taking video. It was he who alerted me that they were calling all aboard. We were the last two back on the catamaran. :o

Some of our pix: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21. :fish:

It was a nice sail back to shore. Of course, more pictures along the way: beautiful water, on the catamaran, me & my son, bringing the sail down, the sail packed down, two pictures of the gorgeous water: 1 and 2.

Once back on shore, we got back on the motorcoaches to take us back to the ship. While waiting to leave, we checked out our pictures and video we took underwater. It's hard to see what you are taking video/pictures of while you are out in the sun. You just have to hope you are getting what you want. We hit a little bit of traffic on the way back, giving me time to take some pictures.

The cemetary, the Carnival ship, Freedom, and a bit closer, on the table are freshly caught fish and one last picture of Freedom before arriving back at the port area.

Now we arrived back at the port area, and after we got off the motorcoach, we decided to take a few more pictures (yes...again!) of the ship. There wasn't anyone around, so we took our time before heading back to the tender area. The Carnival Conquest was there. Pictures of the Freedom of the Seas: 1, 2, I was trying to capture the beautiful colors in the water, but a point and shoot camera just doesn't cut it sometimes :sad2: :3, 4 and Bubba.

You have to know by now, there are many pictures of the ship from the tender on the way back to the ship! :rolleyes1 Pix: That Carnival ship here, here and here. Freedom of the Seas: 1, 2, 3, 4 and we've arrived.

We were back onboard and ran upstairs to change into dry clothes. We were hungry and wanted to grab some lunch. We ended up going to the Promenade to eat. I took this picture of this Britto girl on our way to Sorrentos. She was just interesting being there in the Promenade.

DH had a sandwich from the Cafe and Bubba and I got some pizza...oh, and a pannini for DH too.

After we ate, we went to the top deck to take pictures of Grand Cayman from up there. It was a beautiful sight.

Pictures of Grand Cayman from the top deck: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17.

I just love Grand Cayman. It's a beautiful island where I could always go and find something to do....or not. Matter of fact, we're skipping the cruising thing and Grand Cayman is our vacation destination for 2013. :yay:

We were top deck for a while doing our video/picture thing. When we were finished, we went to the Cafe for a cookie and chocolate chip scone. This was Bubba's first taste of a scone. He seemed to like it. I don't care for them, too dry.

While we were there eating, I took a picture of the Cupcake Cupboard and then ran over to check out the daily offerings. Only one different today: orange creamsicle.

I left them just before 3:30. I was headed to the Crypt to learn the flash mob dance. I'd seen it mentioned before and thought "why not?" I'd like to give it a try. When else am I going to have a chance to be a part of one? I didn't know what the two boys would get into while I was there, but figured I'd meet them afterwards. Wouldn't ya know, Bubba wanted to see what it was, and they showed up at the practice later on anyway! (but they stayed upstairs and watched us below)

They told me later that they'd taken up a game of shuffleboard before they came to watch me.

Practice was only about 40 minutes or so and then it was time to sail from Grand Cayman. We went to the helipad at the front of ship for departure. After we were on our way, pretty far from land, my husband pointed out a bird to me...flying at the water level. I told him I thought we were too far from land for it to be a bird.
5.gif
Then he realized it was actually flying fish we were seeing! Here are a few pictures of them: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

At first it was a few, then about a half dozen. At one time there had to be a dozen or a dozen and a half! There were a ton of them. They were really cool to see. We just enjoyed standing out there, but the boy was tired and headed back to our cabin to rest.

After being out on the bow for awhile, the flying fish seemed 'over'. We walked to the aft of the ship. There was a lounge chair at the very back, so I stood on it and looked over the edge. Probably the closest I've ever been to going overboard! But, it was a cool sight to see straight down. The water seems so smooth and calm directly behind the ship. I didn't have my camera, but DH caught these pictures from his video: 1 and 2. It's really neat to see, and I recommend it...as long as you don't go overboard!

After a while, we decided to head back too. We stopped by the Cafe on the way and DH grabbed a small sandwich, to hold him over till dinner, and we got a cookie for Bubba. When we got back to our cabin, he showed us something he had videotaped (with our waterproof videocamera we had left in the cabin). It was us standing out on the helipad on the tv...on the channel that pans across the front of the ship during the day and the Promenade at night. We thought that was funny he did that.

Tonight was our second formal night for dinner. The menu was: Vitality, Appetizer, Entrees and Desserts.

We ordered: the roasted peach soup, creamed wild mushrooms in puff pastry, cream of asparagus soup and the seafood salad to start. For dinner we ordered: the fisherman's plate and the prime rib. Bubba also ordered the lobster and DH also ordered the prime rib (so he'd have surf and turf). IF Bubba wasn't crazy about the lobster, DH would trade his prime rib for Bubba's lobster. Bubba ate about half the lobster before getting a good portion of DH's prime rib! Next up for dessert was the double fruit passion cheesecake and the dessert sampler. Everything was good and by the end of the meal, I thought I was gonna !!!

Tonight during dessert, the chefs did their walk through the dining room. I actually counted them and there were 32 or 34 (I shoulda wrote it down, cuz I forget exactly). I thought that was a lot of 'cooks in the kitchen'! But, all our meals were delicious and they deserved the applause.

After dinner, we went to the photo gallery to check on our photos. We put them all together, because we weren't buying any until the last day at sea. That way we'd have ALL of them together to go through and decide what we really wanted.

After the photo gallery, we went to arcade with Bubba. We played some air hockey and skeeball. First he and his Dad played a game. He who scores the most goals, wins. :teeth: We had a great time with him. I think after we killed some time there with him, he went back to the cabin and we went to the Adult Comedy show in Arcadia theater. He said he had a great time with us. We told him the feeling was mutual.

Graham was doing this show and he was really good. I think he had a dvd you could buy, but we never went looking for it. I recommend his show. Not a lot of foul language, but more funny!

The show wasn't too long and it wasn't long before we rejoined Bubba in our cabin. He was watching tv (probably a Shrek movie) and having a cookie and some milk for snack. Seems he stopped by the Cafe on his way back to the cabin. Smart boy...knows where the snacks are. :thumbsup2

It was early the next morning before we went to bed.
14.gif

Video from our day in Grand Cayman. Probably my favorite day of the cruise...with Labadee being a close second.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter