Budget for treats in the park!

Canadafam17

Earning My Ears
We are planning a family trip for November and I would like to give my kids an 'allowance' for a treat for the day (so they can spend their money and we avoid the begging!) Can someone give me a price range for things like popcorn, churros, rice krispie treats? Thanks so much!

We are planning a family trip for November and I would like to give my kids an 'allowance' for a treat for the day (so they can spend their money and we avoid the begging!) Can someone give me a price range for things like popcorn, churros, rice krispie treats? Thanks so much!

Did you ever think of just giving them each a Disney gift card worth a certain amount for them to use for the trip?

My kids get a certain amount for each trip, they actually have to earn some of their money (they are saving cans for our next trip) I want to say last time they had maybe 200 for the week and they know once its gone its gone, but I dont just give them that amount its birthday presents on cards last time we did Visa cards so they could spend anywhere and if we had plans for BaB or something like that they get gift cards for that too

Approx $5 per treat, give or take a dollar. Churros are $4.50, popcorn is $4.25, pretzel $5. I'd second giving them a Disney gift card. If you go to the Disney store or online you can get in different amounts and designs so each one is identifiable.

Approx $5 per treat, give or take a dollar. Churros are $4.50, popcorn is $4.25, pretzel $5. I'd second giving them a Disney gift card. If you go to the Disney store or online you can get in different amounts and designs so each one is identifiable.

I think ice cream is a little more, maybe $7? I usually just let them pick one thing per day and the rest they have to buy. Unless we are making an event of fireworks or parade in which case i buy coffee and hot cocoa and will let them get a treat in lieu of cocoa.

Thanks so much! I had never even thought of a Disney gift card. They are only 5 and 9, so I'd be a bit nervous that they would lose them...

My buddy does the gift card thing for his kids for souvenir's as well and allows them each to spend it on whatever they want from their card regardless of how stupid it may be. Works amazing for the "allowance" idea.

Mom and Dad will still buy them things but the card allowance that they get to blow gets rid of the nagging wonderfully and forces the kids to budget and prioritize a bit.

What we do for our 4 kids is set limits. For Souveniers we buy them 1 article of clothing, they each have a mickey ears hat or headband (gift from great grandparents for our first 2 trips as a family), they are allowed to earn Disney dollars doing extra chore leading up to the trip, we keep the total and then their is no arguments on what they can buy/spend. As for treats we save the big candy store treat (they usually pick a candy apple,around $10 for parade/firework nights). As for treats throughout the day we usually get 2 and share between the six of us, the exception is ice cream when we each pick our own.

Have a Magical Time!

Like previous posters, I would budget $5 per snack. Ice cream is going to be a bit higher, but regular snacks (popcorn, pretzel, churro, etc) hover at the $5 range. Pickles, fruit, bag of chips, etc. will be a tad lower. Can't remember how much Dole Whips are...

Gift cards are great, if you can keep track of which belongs to who and how much remains on the balance. We like to purchase a gift card that we use for the entirety of the trip for everyone (ex. $500 for everyone) that we use to purchase food, souvenirs, etc. because it's easier and more secure than having to whip out debit/credit cards each time. However, it seems hard enough keeping track of one, I personally couldn't imagine keeping track of 2-3! Might be easier to just do a ziplock baggie of cash marked for each child, each day that mom/dad is in charge of.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! :flower1:

I'm curious how having a different gift card for each kid works with larger families? Has anyone had experience? Sometimes waiting in line to buy food is bad enough with kids, doing 5 separate transactions (4 kids plus me and DH) seems like it would take a long time. I tried keeping a running tab of their allotted money on one trip, and that was a pain too.

I would not give young children cash or cards that they have to carry themselves. I would simply let each child know that he or she can have one treat per day and give them the cash at that time.

We use the Disney Gift Cards. The prettiest ones are at The Disney Store Online and ship for free. Cast Members comment on them whenever I use them like, ". Wow, I have never seen a Gift Card like this." I think for snacks a $25 Gift Card per day would be perfect! I swear my kids eat their way through Disneyland! My son just went on a Band Trip. He's 15 years old. I gave him $50 per day spending money. Hope this helps!

Midnightred

I usually budget $20 per person per day. That is just for treats like ice cream or frozen lemonade(wish I could buy that in Canada:). I usually put DD's spending money for souvenirs on a a GC. When that is gone, she is done shopping. The treats, I pay for with a GC I load at City Hall.

:welcome:to the DISboards!

Last edited:
I'm curious how having a different gift card for each kid works with larger families? Has anyone had experience? Sometimes waiting in line to buy food is bad enough with kids, doing 5 separate transactions (4 kids plus me and DH) seems like it would take a long time. I tried keeping a running tab of their allotted money on one trip, and that was a pain too.

The idea on the kids with cards...at least the way I have seen it done successfully...is not that the kids use their card for every single transaction that the family decides on....parents still pick up the tab for "group" purchases or things the parents deem worthy...the individual kids cards are for the kid's discretionary spending when they want something that may not be in the overall meals, snack or souvenir plan.

For treats, we don't specify a dollar amount. We just say one per day. They also have the ability to buy their own with their own money. We also give them $50 each to spend however they want, whether it's a souvenir or treat (that's for the entire trip, not per day!). We do buy ear hats and two pins each that don't come out of their budget. We give them the opportunity to earn extra money in the month leading up to the trip that they can spend if they want more than one treat per day or extra souvenirs.

I love Disneyland treats, but they are pretty big. DD (14) and I share churros, popcorn and pretzels. Donuts are $5.75, frozen lemonade with souvenir cup is $5 (this is the stand at Paradise Pier in DCA), a one scoop at Ghirardelli's is $4.75 (the sundaes are $11 and big enough to share), souvenir cup with soda in Toontown is $6.99.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter