Buying DVDs in Florida

WDWFOREVER

<font color=blue>Has splinters in her tooshie from
I know you have to be careful when buying videos in America as, unless they are a specific format, they don't work in the UK but does that apply to DVDs as well? No doubt (like most things) DVDs are cheaper in America and I thought I might take the opportunity of buying a few if I can be certain they will work when I get back home!

Thank you for any help you can give.

Jackie

Jackie,

DVD's from the US will only work over here if you have a multiregion DVD player or get yours modified. DVD's for the US market are Region 1, the UK is Region 2. The publishers use this as a way to release films at different times to different countries and also to help keep the inflated prices in the UK.

Mark

Hi Jackie,

UK is region 2 and the USA is region 1. Our TV format is PAL and the USA is NSTC. So as long as you have a all region DVD player and a TV that plays NTSC then you should have no problems. I have a few DVD's from the USA and they play no problems.

Mark & Michelle

Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it. I have a DVD drive on my computer and was going to pick up a couple of DVDs for my son as he likes sitting in the study playing on the computer. Daft question - but would the DVDs work on my computer or is that subjec to the same region 1/2 and PAL/NTSC restrictions?

I really appreciate you both answering my thread. I've never posted one before but I am beginning to pick up confidence with these boards now as everyone is so nice!

Jackie

Hi Jackie

As far as I remember, the pc is a region 2 DVD palyer. But you can play region 1 DVD's a couple of times. It is really hard to explain...;)
I think you get something like 2 changes of regions on the pc and then it stays on that region. I hope that makes sense...

Michelle - thanks, yes it does make sense. I think I need to just accept the fact that I will have to keep playing inflated UK prices until such time as I can afford to buy a DVD player which is suitable for region 1 and 2 DVDs.

Thanks again for your help.

Jackie

Jackie,

Regions still apply with PC DVD drives but depending on the make/model of the DVD drive it could be possible to switch it between regions.

Mark

Jackie,

You can pick a All Region DVD player for round about £99.00...Not as expensive as people make them out to be.;)

Thanks Mark - I'm not knowledgeable enough to know exactly what my DVD drive is capable of so probably best to leave well alone! Otherwise, for the sake of a few cheap DVDs, I'll end up destroying the computer!!

Thanks for the advice, and for replying.
Jackie:)

Wow Michelle - didn't realise they were that cheap - maybe I ought to seriously look into the possibility of buying one - trouble is, its only 26 days (not that I'm counting!) until we go so I had better get my skates on. So, can I just double-check - I need to make sure I buy an "all region" DVD and that will mean I can buy ANY DVDs to play on it? I don't have a TV that plays NTSC - would that make a difference?

Sorry to be a pain - as you can probably tell, I'm not very technologically minded!

Jackie:)

Jackie

Check in your TV's instructions to see if it supports NTSC playback. I am sorry I can't be of more help it is getting really technical now..;)
Here is a site that maybe of some use for a DVD though...;)

DVD players

Guy's

Just thought I'd add my bit here.

You can pick up multi-region DVD player's from Richer sound's for about £100 and it will come with warranty.They also deliver. If you buy a standard DVD and then get the code's and do it yourself you will invalidate your warranty. Code's are available on-line and they are normally for free or there are various magazine's that you can also obtain codes from.

Most video's now a day's are NTSC as standard however if your TV is does not support NTSC you can still watch them but only in black & white. DVD's the same.

I have a multi region DVD and tend to buy most from the USA. BUT (big but here) you can still have problem's with play-back on some disc's. (planet of the apes christmas 2001 had major problem with it)

Cibby

Thanks for that. I knew I could rely on DISers to help!

Jackie

You could download a bit of software called DVD GEnie... it allows you to alter the Region settings on a PC DVD player.

Also if you want cheap (er) DVD's check out www.play.com.

Really good for Region 2 and Region 1 DVD's

Generally the Region 1's are a bit cheaper, released earlier and have better added features.

Jackie,

Three good DVd players for all-regions are:

Mico 20 Classic...........Sainsburys....£99.99
Pacific 750...................Asda ............£ 89.99
Acoustic Solutions.......Richer Sounds..£ 119.99.

mike

Jackie, Me again!!:)

Just to say that the Pacific 750 from Asda is the one that we have got and it works great. You have to have what is called a handset hack to make this a all region DVD, which is very easy to get as we have got it..;)

We bought ours from Richer Sounds and asked the sales guy which would play US DVD's - he said that the big name brands don't tend to be able to play them but the lesser known makes do. This is because it's not in the interests of people like 'Sony' who want to keep up the inflated UK prices.

I can't remember which make ours is but it was only around £130 and plays everything including Mpeg CD's.

Thanks so much to all of you for your replies - I knew I could rely on you clever lot to know!

Jackie

squitty,

Not to mention the Pacific is also macro disabled...........!! LOL !!

mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter