Buying Plane Ticket for 2 1/2yoa

maciec

AHHHH....Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?
I hesitate to post this question for getting lashed out at, but the price of air fare is killing me!

Has anyone ever purchased a 1/2 priced ticket for a child over 2yoa under the pre-tense that they actually are? My dd will be 2 1/2 in May and she really looks like she is still under 2. Do you think that I will get questioned about it?

Thanks!

I;ve never come across a half price ticket we always paid full for anyone over 2.

Most airlines will let children 2 yrs old and under ride for free on your lap. The airlines do check for proof of age ie: birth cert. ect. My personal opinion is that small children should be in their own seat using a car seat. My wifes cousin is a pilot for USAIR and likes to see young children ride in a car seat in their own seat. He was flying not as the pilot one time when they hit some sudden and server turbulance. There was a child riding in a mothers lap and the child got banged up because the mother did not have a good hold of the child at the time. The child was ok but it could have been a lot worse. I hope this helps you.

TripletDad :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I know when we are staring at the cost of airline tickets for a family, it get's awful tempting to not purchase the additional ticket.

However, not only is your child safer (and what cost do we put on safety?), but you and your child will be more comfortable in their usual car seat. And depending on the length of the flight, might actually take a little nap.

So, as much as we hate it, bite the bullet. You probably won't know if you kept your darling from being hurt, but maybe you'll have some peace on the flight : )

shelly

I think the OP is asking if they should say the child is under 2 in order to get a 1/2 price ticket for the extra seat, not to hold the child in their lap. Some airlines give 50% off for seats for children under 2. First, I would call the airline and ask if they require proof of age. If they require a birth certificate, then you have your answer.

Debbie gave me the answer I was looking for. Thanks that's a great idea! I definitely want her to have her own seat. Having her as a lap baby is no fun. If you have a child under the age of 2 US air will either let them go on as a lap baby (no fee) or you can purchase a ticket at a discounted rate (usually 1/2 price) I want to see if I can get by like she is 2 and not 2 1/2.

Just so you know, I have flown US Airways many times with my DS who is currently under two and on several occasions I've been asked for his birth certificate to verify his age as under 2. He was only one at the time, and definately looked under 2. I'd buy the full price seat, nothing like being embarassed at the airport and then have to fork over a full-fare seat over to save a few bucks.

After reading so much on these boards I decided to check on a ticket for our grandson who will be 10 months when we fly down in July.

We paid 189.50 from Dayton, OH to MCO and a ticket for Nathan was only 106.50, well worth the cost. Now we just have to figure out the restrictions on the type of seat we can bring.

I hope with having him in the seat he will be more confortable because he will be used to sitting in it.

Kathy

There should be a ride at WDW (perhaps at the Epcot Wonders of Life pavilion) that goes like this:

You pick up a large beanbag (simulating a small child) and sit down and buckle up in a seat like an airplane seat. The "ride" bounces you around, like a mechanical bull if you have seen one of those, and it shows you how hard it is to hold a child during turbulence on a flight.

If the plane comes to a sudden stop on the runway, your upper body will be thrown forward, crushing a child you are holding on your lap.

Choose a child seat (FAA approved) where the child's feet cannot be entangled or crushed if the person in front tries to recline his seat back.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 World Inn (now Doubletree Club)
4/85 Kon-Tiki (now Econolodge Hawaiian)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
9/97 All Star Music
11/98 ASMu & first premium annual pass
12/98 Knights Inn on 192
9/99 All Star Movies
12/00 All Star Sports & PAP#2
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
1/03 Motel 6 & ASSp & PAP#3
11/03 Pop Century planned

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter