Buying resort while being built?

pinkxray

DIS Veteran
How does it work when you buy a resort that is being built? I am interested in Reflections whenever it is finally built.
How far in advance do they sell it?
I know that you are unable to use the points until the resort is open. However would I be able to get the blue card as soon as I make the purchase? Just curious. Such as let’s say the resort opens 1/1/2022. I purchase points 12/1/2021 and go to WDW in 12/1/2021. I know I can’t use points but it would be nice to have the blue card for gold pass and other benefits.

They do not sell before a pretty late stage, usually about 3 months before open or so.

I don't believe they count you as a member until open because until the condo association is live you are technically not a member.

I don't believe they count you as a member until open because until the condo association is live you are technically not a member.
We purchased AKV pre-open and were considered members (and received our membership number) as soon as we signed the paperwork and paid the deposit.

We purchased AKV pre-open and were considered members (and received our membership number) as soon as we signed the paperwork and paid the deposit.
Realistically, they could permit anything but booking rights pre-open, since nothing else really links to the property right.

How does it work when you buy a resort that is being built? I am interested in Reflections whenever it is finally built.
How far in advance do they sell it?
I know that you are unable to use the points until the resort is open. However would I be able to get the blue card as soon as I make the purchase? Just curious. Such as let’s say the resort opens 1/1/2022. I purchase points 12/1/2021 and go to WDW in 12/1/2021. I know I can’t use points but it would be nice to have the blue card for gold pass and other benefits.

Riviera went on Sale March 2019 and opened in December 2019.

I purchased in June and DVC i mmediately gave me a new membership number and 2019 points. The points could not be used until the resort opened, but they showed in my account immediately.

I had already been a member, but it appeared that I would have been member immediately if I had not been.

Compared with Riviera, Copper Creek went on sale only 3 months or so (to new members) before it opened in July 2017. Tough to say at this point which model Reflections will follow. Or whether it will open on schedule in 2022. Or whether the minimum points for the blue card will still be 100 at that point. Or whether there will be a Covid-22. (Kidding!!!) LOL so much uncertainty! I for one am going to use the time between now and whenever Reflections opens to control what I can - socking away $$ so hopefully I can buy a minimum contract there with cash.

Reflections has been scrubbed from the website. 2022 is not looking very likely. This is probably not a great plan if you want to buy in the next couple years. Who knows how long the delay will be.

If I were DVC, I would definitely prioritize the California tower, which was presented to local authorities in the last few weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter