BWV Bummer

x5x5x5x5x5

Finally figured out how to do this...
Well it finally happened. A terrible room assignment. (Okay not TERRIBLE - after all it is BWV ha) So I reserve a Boardwalk view studio waaaayyyy in advance (not that this matters but the anticipation had quite a bit of time to build) and I'm beside myself with excitement about the trip. I absolutely LOVE to sit on the balcony and look at the wonderful view of BC / YC and Epcot and watch the people go by. It's a major part of my trip when we stay at the BW. We check in and race to the room and bam. It hits me. I got one of the rooms above the Big River Grille with the wall wrapped balcony. My heart sank. My little girl had to stand on her tip toes to peer over the wall in order to see anything. The view from the room was . . . the wall. The view while sitting on the balcony was . . . the wall. Incidentally this is also a favorite location for birds so there was poop everywhere. Not that it mattered I guess because he were hardly ever out there.

It struck me on this trip that I don't think this room should be considered a Boardwalk view room. Honestly I felt kind of ripped off. Perhaps they should classify these rooms (I think there are two or four of them) as standard view rooms. It was a real waste of points and such a disappointment.

Anyway, boohoo for me. It was still a great trip.

By the way, we did (nicely) mention the BW view / standard view room suggestion to the staff. Maybe they will change it one day.

Well it finally happened. A terrible room assignment. (Okay not TERRIBLE - after all it is BWV ha) So I reserve a Boardwalk view studio waaaayyyy in advance (not that this matters but the anticipation had quite a bit of time to build) and I'm beside myself with excitement about the trip. I absolutely LOVE to sit on the balcony and look at the wonderful view of BC / YC and Epcot and watch the people go by. It's a major part of my trip when we stay at the BW. We check in and race to the room and bam. It hits me. I got one of the rooms above the Big River Grille with the wall wrapped balcony. My heart sank. My little girl had to stand on her tip toes to peer over the wall in order to see anything. The view from the room was . . . the wall. The view while sitting on the balcony was . . . the wall. Incidentally this is also a favorite location for birds so there was poop everywhere. Not that it mattered I guess because he were hardly ever out there.

It struck me on this trip that I don't think this room should be considered a Boardwalk view room. Honestly I felt kind of ripped off. Perhaps they should classify these rooms (I think there are two or four of them) as standard view rooms. It was a real waste of points and such a disappointment.

By the way, we did (nicely) mention the BW view / standard view room suggestion to the staff. Maybe they will change it one day.

I agree. My favorite activity at the BWV is to sit on my balcony in the morning with my coffee and watch the boardwalk come alive. Hate it when I get the wall.

It really goes to show that view is all about perspective. We have gotten those rooms all the times we have stayed at BWV in a BW view room and to be honest, we enjoy them.

We don't spend a lot of time on the balcony, but when we do, we liked being able to people watch and standing up was find for us. I also like the privacy of the balcony, but maybe again, that is just us.

I've gotten boardwalk view rooms 5013 and 5015. (I think there must be two more similar rooms at the other end of the building to match the architectural feature but I don't know the room numbers.) We call them the stockade rooms because there is not only no boardwalk view there is no view at all. There are high wooden walls on three sides. On the front side (boardwalk side) there is a large portion of the roof. Even if you stand up you can't see anything because the roof line completely blocks the view. If you want to see you'd have to stand up on the wide railing. It gave me claustrophobia to sit on the balcony. I spend a lot of time on the balcony and the view is quite important to me.

Like you, I felt like I'd been ripped off by using points for a boardwalk view. I suggested to a manager that these rooms should be std. view, even though any std. view room I've had is 100% better. The reply was that the rooms are on the boardwalk, facing the boardwalk so that's why they are more points. Now I request 3rd or 4th floor so I don't get one of those "stockade" rooms again.

I had that room once, the view really didn't bother me as much as the noise from the boardwalk at night. It was June and people were out very late on the boardwalk.

My biggest fear is getting one of those first floor boardwalk rooms. No privacy at all and really not much of a view.

I always request top floor and only got it once and it was the one facing the corner of the Village Green. I got that second floor once and the rest of the times I got 3 or 4.

I got one of those rooms before, but it was for the main pool view. We like the main pool, TOT, Swan and Dolphin all in one View. Like you I run to our room and throw open the balcony doors and BAM! a Huge tree dead center of our view, no way to see around it. I complain to the front desk, but no other rooms available. I call MS and it took a few days after I got home but they did refund a few points back to my acct.
I agree they need to look at each room and then classify them, this was years ago. I mentioned it to MS and the Hotel about doing that, and nothing has changed.

I have also had that wall balcony, and I learned not to ask for that room again.

Regarding the walled balconies: Would you believe that the one and only BWview HA room (2047/49) is walled? That means those in wheelchairs can see nothing but the wall. What knucklehead architect came up with that idea?

Regarding the walled balconies: Would you believe that the one and only BWview HA room (2047/49) is walled? That means those in wheelchairs can see nothing but the wall. What knucklehead architect came up with that idea?

Probably the same one who only put in one set of elevators.

You really should voice your concerns to DVC, dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com.

DVC is who would make the change, not the resort who is paid to check us in and clean the room.

:earsboy: Bill

It really goes to show that view is all about perspective. We have gotten those rooms all the times we have stayed at BWV in a BW view room and to be honest, we enjoy them.

We don't spend a lot of time on the balcony, but when we do, we liked being able to people watch and standing up was find for us. I also like the privacy of the balcony, but maybe again, that is just us.

Not, not just you. We also are ok with the wall in some of the Boardwalk view rooms and like the fact that sitting down you're not on stage. And you can stand up and take it all in. And the balcony is huge! I wish that they would put a couple of lounge chairs out there. ::yes::

On the other hand I hate the rooms at other resorts that have tiny little balconies that you can hardly fit a chair on and they are also walled in.

I do think it's pretty poor that the HA room has the wall though - that's one we've gotten once and then next door to it with a walled in balcony also.

For BW view studio rooms, what is best to put in your request other than top floor away from elevators?

Oh, my first stay at pool/garden view at BWV is coming in Sep. I requested top floor, full balcony...the balcony really makes my trip. And this is a solo trip and I planned on enjoying the balcony and alone time. Don't need or want boardwalk view (know its a booking category), but really, really want a nice balcony. Only going to the park for Villain Day (Friday) other three days are park free.

I think DVC members get too wrapped up in the actual view from a given unit. Whether it's a solid balcony or a tree outside the window, it is part of the luck that comes with a floating type timeshare system. That's esp so when the system doesn't have a formal preference idea and/or put any effort into unit assignments. I do enjoy Marriott so much better than DVC in this regard.

It's kind of like "ocean view". If you can see any ocean from your window/balcony, it's "ocean view" even if it's tiny. Same with boardwalk view. Some people's preferences are different than others. As Kathy said, she prefers the solid balconies for privacy. I don't like the ones in Crest O' the Wave, they are small and very open.

It's kind of like "ocean view". If you can see any ocean from your window/balcony, it's "ocean view" even if it's tiny. Same with boardwalk view. Some people's preferences are different than others. As Kathy said, she prefers the solid balconies for privacy. I don't like the ones in Crest O' the Wave, they are small and very open.
More like if there was somewhat of a view when it was built but now there isn't is the way I look at it.

We had one of those rooms and while it wasn't my favorite, it had some advantages. The balcony is so large we (very carefully) carried the table and chairs out there and had our breakfast out on the balcony a couple of mornings.

We had a couple of rainy afternoons and found we could stay out on the balcony even during a downpour and not get wet.

We had one of those rooms and while it wasn't my favorite, it had some advantages. The balcony is so large we (very carefully) carried the table and chairs out there and had our breakfast out on the balcony a couple of mornings.

We had a couple of rainy afternoons and found we could stay out on the balcony even during a downpour and not get wet.

That's a good point. One time we were staying on the standard view side with a walled balcony and there was an all day heavy rainstorm, we were still able to sit outside.

We've had Boardwalk view twice and TWICE had the wrap-around balcony above the store (one was an "accessible" room which we didn't need or ask for). I was hoping a request for a high room would help. It didn't.

We have had those studios a few times....hadn't really thought about the pros/cons of the solid wall.....we enjoyed the view and watching people play the games on the boardwalk

If we stay at the BW it's usually in the standard rooms - balcony with a tree view is fine but I can do without the AM smoker and the person above me smoking a cigar and tapping the ash over rail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter