BWV Lovers: need help with room locations...

Keara'sMom

DIS Veteran
Hi all,
We've finally decided (I think) to rent DVC points for a "preferred view" studio at BWV for a Jan. birthday trip for DD (turning 9). Having never stayed in that area (or even visited there), we're really excited about the Boardwalk and all that has to offer, and we love being in the middle of the action (as opposed to quiet and secluded). That said, do you have any recommendations for room locations at BWV that are close to the Boardwalk, the bakery, etc?

Thanks! Can't Wait!

It's really not an issue of being "close to" things like the Bakery. The Bakery is down on the Boardwalk and actually in front of the Inn. There is one set of elevators for the Villas, so you will have to use those to get out of the building and access anything on the Boardwalk, anyway, so it doesn't matter where your room is. The exception to this is that you can use the same set of elevators to go down to the ground floor and exit near the pool, or some of the stairs, and again, exit near the pool.

If you ask the member renting to you to get you a "Boardwalk view" you will be able to sit on your balcony and watch the activities, folks strolling, etc and really feel in the action. There are not always Boardwalk views available, but they cost no more than the other Preferred views, so you might take a shot at that.

Whatever you get, I'm sure you'll be pleased. As I said, you take the elevator down to the Main doors, walk outside, and you are right in the center of it all. Easy!

Thanks, Mikesmom!
I've read that there are some rooms that are very far away from the elevator. In addition to requesting a Boardwalk View (which I hope to get but know that might not happen), should I request a room that's close to the elevators? Just wondering...

Thanks again!

Well you can ask for a BW view (pretty hard to come by unless you book 10 to 11 months in advance) OR you can ask for a room near the elevators....but as far as I know there is just 1 bank of elevators on the villas side and it isn't very close to the front (more like middle....well it might be close to a few of the BW view rooms.

Just remember that a "preferred" view is not necessarily a Boardwalk view....in fact most of the preferred views do NOT look at the Boardwalk....they face the waterway or the pools.

Does your reservation say preferred boardwalk view or preferred pool/garden view? It needs to say preferred boardwalk to get a boardwalk view.

There are some preferred pool/garden studios facing the area between the villas and the inn, they are very close to the elevators and have a partial boardwalk view. Request "Village Green" view.

There is only one bank of elevators for the Villas. And yes, some of the rooms can be quite a walk. We have always had good luck just requesting close to the elevator.

Have a great time .. BWV is a waonderful place :)

Our villa last Nov was exactly 236 steps from the elevators!!! We were the third or fourth door before you got to the tennis court end of the hallway going towards MGM. But, it was a terrific room!!! We looked out on the quiet pool, Community Hall and the canal.
We had a studio villa that was very close to the elevators (2 or 3 doors down) with a Village Green view. It was directly over Muscles and Bustles, on the top floor, facing Spaceship Earth. Incredible room. Got to look out over the lake and the boardwalk itself, but it wasn't considered a 'boardwalk' view. Go figure. You just have to decide what is more important....the view or the walk from the elevators.

Unless you have someone who has problems getting around, I wouldn't worry about the "long hallways" all that much. It's nothing compared to walking in the parks, and it's all air-conditioned hallways! :)

The other thing is that if you are fortunate enough to snag a Boardwalk Preferred View, the farther from the elevators the better your view of Illuminations fireworks. So there is a trade off.

Last of all, I think it is really important for you to know that requests are just requests. They cannot guarantee you anything other than the view category...Boardwalk Preferred View, Water/Canal Preferred View or Standard View. After that, it is pretty much luck of the draw as they'll try to work with your requests but if they can't meet them you shouldn't be upset.

Have a great trip...you'll love the Boardwalk area! :)

Thank you all for your great responses! We're excited just to be staying at the BWV, so the view really doesn't matter. Actually, it's more important to my DH to be in the midst of the "action" (or whatever that means) instead of further away from things. I think the Village Green idea sounds great, and I'll put that request in, knowing that I might or might not get the area I request.

Again, thanks to all!
Leslie

I just wanted to add that if you don't have anyone in a stroller or has a hard time with stairs there are stairways that you can use as shortcuts. You will learn where they are when your there.

Have a nice trip. I am sure you will love it. My family stayed in a 2br villa back in September. My mother and father loved it so much that they can't think staying anywhere else! We are going back in Dec. 06 and I the farthest I could move them was 5 days at the Beach Club but then back to 5 days at the Boardwalk!

SB in KY said:
Well you can ask for a BW view (pretty hard to come by unless you book 10 to 11 months in advance)

BW view isn't a request anymore, it's now a guarantee. And yes, it's virtually impossible to get unless you own at BWV (or rent from someone who does) with the ressie made precisely 11 months out on a day-by-day basis.

Danthesand said:
BW view isn't a request anymore, it's now a guarantee. And yes, it's virtually impossible to get unless you own at BWV (or rent from someone who does) with the ressie made precisely 11 months out on a day-by-day basis.
It probably depends on your trip dates. I just made a reservation 12 days ago for a BW view studio for the second week of May, less than 9 months from my travel dates. Both standard view and Boardwalk view rooms were still available for my dates. I was surprised and very happy to be able to snag a BW view room for our first stay at BWV!

We stayed in a 2 bdrm (lockoff) last year at BWV. We were on the 1st floor and literally a few (like 20-40) steps from the elevators, fitness room, and boardwalk. You could walk out our sliding glass door and go to the pool (we were right by the carousel bar!) I booked a standard room, but asked if we could have an upgrade if it was available, she said they don't do that, but then we were right at the pool and really close to the boardwalk (we had to be either the 1st or 2nd room). I loved being that close! It was the same amt of points so I don't know if she upgraded us or what. It was an awesome location! No fireworks or boardwalk views, but we didn't have to far at all. The only way to describe it is...you go in the main lobby, make a left, go past the gift shop to the elevators and go down a floor. COme off elevator, make a right and we were like the first or second door on the right. If I could remember the # I'd let you know.

LisaS said:
It probably depends on your trip dates. I just made a reservation 12 days ago for a BW view studio for the second week of May, less than 9 months from my travel dates. Both standard view and Boardwalk view rooms were still available for my dates. I was surprised and very happy to be able to snag a BW view room for our first stay at BWV!

Yes, trip dates do affect BW availability; early May is a transitional season (most schools are still in session or just ending), not a peak demand period. Also, you called nine months out, still ahead of the competion from non-BW owners; if you'd waited until seven I strongly suspect you'd have struck out. And if you'd been looking for late May or at the latest early June you'd have had a tough time getting BW view anything calling less than 11 months out.

I've also heard that not just school vacation periods and holidays but also the Food and Wine period is tough for BW view unless you own and book on the dot at 11 months. So while there are a handful of seasonal "windows" where one might be able to get BW view less than than that far out, they're probably not the norm.

And also supports the gospel here of "own where you want to stay." If one gets addicted to the BW view, that's particularly important!

Danthesand said:
Yes, trip dates do affect BW availability; early May is a transitional season (most schools are still in session or just ending), not a peak demand period. Also, you called nine months out, still ahead of the competion from non-BW owners; if you'd waited until seven I strongly suspect you'd have struck out. And if you'd been looking for late May or at the latest early June you'd have had a tough time getting BW view anything calling less than 11 months out.

I've also heard that not just school vacation periods and holidays but also the Food and Wine period is tough for BW view unless you own and book on the dot at 11 months. So while there are a handful of seasonal "windows" where one might be able to get BW view less than than that far out, they're probably not the norm.

And also supports the gospel here of "own where you want to stay." If one gets addicted to the BW view, that's particularly important!
I completely agree with everything you said. I just didn't want people to lose hope that they could ever get a BW view at less than 11 months out and that you must always be prepared to book it day by day. It all depends on when you're planning to go. I've even heard of people who do not own at BWV getting a standard view studio at less than 7 months out!

Please just go with the flow. do not request a certain room, or location, you set yourself up for disappointment. Just go with the FLOW!

wdwzues said:
Please just go with the flow. do not request a certain room, or location, you set yourself up for disappointment. Just go with the FLOW!

I agree one has to "go with the flow." I did just that two weeks ago when we were checking into the Boardwalk.

But I had highly raised the likelihood of getting the perfect Boardwalk view illa by putting the following requests on my ressie when I made it day by day eleven months earlier:

- Non smoking
- Higher floor
- with a bathtub (the latter request pretty much guarantees one won't get a "disability compliant" villa - they have roll in showers, no tubs).

Note I specifically didn't request "close to elevator," a mistake many Boardwalk visitors make (due to hearing how long the hallways are). Yes, one can be a bit of a walk from the elevators in the better Boardwalk view villas, but there are nearby stairways. I wouldn't request "near elevators" unless it was absolutely necessary.

By the way, we ended up in villa 4001 - perfect view!!!! :love:

Danthesand said:
I...(snip).....By the way, we ended up in villa 4001 - perfect view!!!! :love:
And FWIW, the room the farthest away from the elevators that you can get! Those who want a perfect view "pay" for it by being a long walk from the elevators. For many, it's completely worth it!

Best wishes-

CarolMN said:
And FWIW, the room the farthest away from the elevators that you can get! Those who want a perfect view "pay" for it by being a long walk from the elevators. For many, it's completely worth it!

Best wishes-

We have actually been in that "farthest" villa (1 bedroom #4001) twice. once in August 2001 and two weeks ago. During that earlier visit, our children were seven and four, but didn't have a problem with the "walk" to the room. And when going downstairs, we used the stairs which we right outside our door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter