• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cabanas

Anna Chassereau

DIS Veteran
We have a cabana booked for two days while we’re there...we also have the executive lanai booked for a day. (I have a history of melanoma so I need to know I have shade secured) We requested cabana 5 by the infinity pool...is this a good location? Is there another cabana that’s better we should request? Anyone booked a cabana before and if so did you enjoy it/what was your experience like?

We have a cabana booked for two days while we’re there...we also have the executive lanai booked for a day. (I have a history of melanoma so I need to know I have shade secured) We requested cabana 5 by the infinity pool...is this a good location? Is there another cabana that’s better we should request? Anyone booked a cabana before and if so did you enjoy it/what was your experience like?
I would recommend against the executive lanai if you need shade--it is extremely sunny in the afternoon--really no shade. We've done both a cabana and the exec lanai--we prefer the lanai, but cabanas are also really nice. It's a really nice feeling to not have to worry about securing a chair. You also have a dedicated server, which is really nice.

We had number 4 a couple years ago, by the infinity pool and we had an awesome time plenty of shade

I would recommend against the executive lanai if you need shade--it is extremely sunny in the afternoon--really no shade. We've done both a cabana and the exec lanai--we prefer the lanai, but cabanas are also really nice. It's a really nice feeling to not have to worry about securing a chair. You also have a dedicated server, which is really nice.
This. The executive lanai faces the ocean and gets direct, strong afternoon sunlight. We found that no matter how much you adjusted the umbrella and casabella shades, you still had to wrap up in towels to avoid the sun and that was no fun. Depending on the size of your party, I would suggest booking the upper or lower veranda instead, which is just on the other side of the deck from the executive lanai. It shares the same views, but its a little more secluded being on the very edge of the resort on the far side of Ama Ama. When we were there, it was full shade almost the whole day.

Probably the best shade is the adult pool. Which I don’t think is currently adult only. Might be worth looking into.

My family and I had cabana #5 before, IMO the few in that area are the best. Nice view of the grotto pool and ocean. I remember getting sun there but you can retreat under the cabana and lounge. :-)

Is there a place to learn all there is to know about these two options? Cost what they offer etc.?

Is there a place to learn all there is to know about these two options? Cost what they offer etc.?
Search the forum here for more info, but here it is on the Aulani site: Poolside Cabana Rentals | Aulani Hawaii Resort & Spa (disneyaulani.com) - under the Casabella section, there is some info about the executive lanai as well as the upper and lower verandas. There are multiple cabanas, but only one executive lanai, one upper veranda, and one lower veranda. For the executive lanai, upper veranda, or lower veranda, you reserve the whole section which includes the seating referenced on the Aulani web site, regardless of how many are in your party. For example, DH and I reserved the upper veranda which had two casabellas (four seats) - obviously we didn't need that many seats, but that's what it includes. There is waiter service but we didn't find it to be the most expedient.

There's also beach casabellas which are two seater padded lounges with awnings that can be reserved day-of only.

I would second the recommendation of doing the Upper or Lower Veranda instead of the Executive Lanai, as long as your party can fit.

Are cabanas at the adult pool currently open for rent by families? I thought I’d read that the adult pool could be used by anyone right now due to COVID. It looks like the cabanas at the adult pool are less expensive. Are they also smaller? Enough seating for 4 people?

Based on what happened during the big pool renovation, when they opened up the adult section, the price would be the same. I don’t think they are smaller.

If you want a great view, get the lanai or veranda. If you don't care about the views but want shade, get a cabana.

There are loungers located on the same level and right in front of 3, 4 & 5 that will block your view of the infinity pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter