California Grill - dress code

Status
Not open for further replies.

wammers2003

Mouseketeer
California Grill dress code. Can adults get by with nice jeans and dress shirt? Can kids wear nice shorts? Thank you.

Absolutely! When it’s warm, my boys wear khaki shorts and a collared shirt. Nice jeans or khakis and a nice top/blouse for adults works great. I usually wear a skirt since it’s often hot out...
Enjoy! I love the California Grill!!

I've actually seen adults in shorts and a nice shirt, and its totally fine. So nice jeans and a shirt is totally fine.

Yes, what you've described is completely acceptable at Cali Grill. My DH and DS12 typically wear dress shorts and polos and I wear a sundress. You'll see people in parks attire in there as well.

My goodness I hope not! It is already over hyped and over priced and business casual will eliminate pretty much anyone coming from a park to enjoy dinner. Their food is okay but they are not V&A!!

You will see people in literally anything that is allowable. I have seen everything from shorts and a tee to cocktail attire. We typically do a dress or nicer capri outfit for me and dd and slacks and a polo or collared shirt for DH. If we are gonig straight for the parks we put a change of clothes in a locker, but we prefer to go back to the room to change.

I have eaten at CG many times directly from the parks in park attire...Disney Tee, Shorts and a couple of occasions even in flip flops....No one has ever cared or commented...

Let me just add that if someone seriously has issues eating their meal because I'm not wearing what they think I should be wearing in a Disney park restaurant...They need a kind of help I'm not sure Disney can provide.

If it's a nice dinner with your SO and you guys want to dress up then by all means do so. Usually we are booking CG to see the fireworks and coming straight form the parks. I'm not going back to change for a meal to end the night...To each their own.

My money spends the same in shorts and tee shirts as it does in tuxedos.

Let me just add that if someone seriously has issues eating their meal because I'm not wearing what they think I should be wearing in a Disney park restaurant...They need a kind of help I'm not sure Disney can provide.
I don't think this is a very nice thing to say. When a restaurant has a dress code, and I reserved it based on that dress code and the atmosphere provided by that I want that dress code to be enforced. Disney DOES NOT do a good job of this.

There shouldn't be any tank tops, flip flops, casual shorts and tees ect in Cali Grill by their own rules, yet you see it all the time because Disney doesn't like telling people it isn't ok to choose to break the rules at the expense of others. Yes, what other people choose to do in my presence absolutely effects my experience. To say it doesn't is willfully disregarding the obvious.

Hubby and I don't want to wear a suit and dress to Applebees for dinner, which is the atmosphere you get when everyone around you is in shorts and tees. People's behavior definitely changes based on clothing, its been proven by study after study. Casual restaurants are louder and more chaotic. That's not the expectation when booking a restaurant with this kind of dress code.

I don't think this is a very nice thing to say. When a restaurant has a dress code, and I reserved it based on that dress code and the atmosphere provided by that I want that dress code to be enforced. Disney DOES NOT do a good job of this.

There shouldn't be any tank tops, flip flops, casual shorts and tees ect in Cali Grill by their own rules, yet you see it all the time because Disney doesn't like telling people it isn't ok to choose to break the rules at the expense of others. Yes, what other people choose to do in my presence absolutely effects my experience. To say it doesn't is willfully disregarding the obvious.

Hubby and I don't want to wear a suit and dress to Applebees for dinner, which is the atmosphere you get when everyone around you is in shorts and tees. People's behavior definitely changes based on clothing, its been proven by study after study. Casual restaurants are louder and more chaotic. That's not the expectation when booking a restaurant with this kind of dress code.

Awww...What I said wasn't nice? I'm sorry...

I mean are we being serious right now?

Tell me....Honestly...Does your food taste different because someone else is in a t-shirt and shorts? Nope...didn't think so...

I mean why would you be worried about what others are wearing rather than what and who is around the table in front of you? How would you even notice it?

Honestly, I could not even begin to tell you what someone is wearing in any restaurant I am in.

I do super nice restaurants for dinner meetings minimum 3 times a month. I dress up...but if someone showed up to The Sun Dial in a t-shirt & shorts and was let in despite the dress code...Not only would I not notice....If I did, I would not ask them to make him leave. hell I would likely just be jealous. He'd be far more comfortable than I am in my suit and tie...I certainly wouldn't care enough to ignore my wonderful glass of wine, cocktail or the food I am enjoying.

I'm sorry but, I just don't worry about things like that....

Maybe it's because I come from very humble beginnings, but I'm just there because I like the view and the food. Everything else is immaterial to me really...

Awww...What I said wasn't nice? I'm sorry...

I mean are we being serious right now?

Tell me....Honestly...Does your food taste different because someone else is in a t-shirt and shorts? Nope...didn't think so...

I mean why would you be worried about what others are wearing rather than what and who is around the table in front of you? How would you even notice it?

Honestly, I could not even begin to tell you what someone is wearing in any restaurant I am in.

I do super nice restaurants for dinner meetings minimum 3 times a month. I dress up...but if someone showed up to The Sun Dial in a t-shirt & shorts and was let in despite the dress code...Not only would I not notice....If I did, I would not ask them to make him leave. hell I would likely just be jealous. He'd be far more comfortable than I am in my suit and tie...I certainly wouldn't care enough to ignore my wonderful glass of wine, cocktail or the food I am enjoying.

I'm sorry but, I just don't worry about things like that....

Maybe it's because I come from very humble beginnings, but I'm just there because I like the view and the food. Everything else is immaterial to me really...
You are just being rude now.

I don't go to a restaurant just for the food. If I did I would order what I wanted to the house or to go. It's about so much more for me, and I don't feel like I am in the wrong for that. YES, what someone else chooses to wear ABSOLUTELY has an influence on that experience.

Not caring is not the same thing as not noticing. You SEE the other diners. You just don't care. The fact that I and many others DO care doesn't make us bad people, or snobs as you seem to be implying, just different from you. I grew up poor. The very rare occasions we went out to eat were special. We dressed and conducted ourselves as was appropriate for the location or we didn't go.

I like the special experience of a nice restaurant. It isn't the same experience in Applbees as in a Michelin 5 star, it just isn't. A large part of that is based on the other patrons, how they dress, and how they conduct themselves. How people dress effects how they conduct themselves, It's human nature to tailor ones behavior to their surroundings. Part of those surroundings is how they and others are dressed.

If there isn't a dress code, then I definitely don't have a right to complain. If there is an expected dress code, then I feel like a patron has every right to be bothered by it not being enforced.

Park attire rules. That’s what most will be wearing. No issues. There is no code anywhere on property to worry about. V and A. Some say has one. However. Even there. I have seen on YouTube videos people wearing park attire if you will. Dressing up or worrying about a dress code is a non issue. Wear what you want.
Who has the time or care what anyone else is wearing? It’s no ones business what anyone else wears.

Last edited:
I thought it was business casual already?

We do khakis and a button down and I wore a sundress (with a sweater as it's always cold in those restaurants).

I absolutely do not care what anyone wears, but I always respect the dress code. It's the polite thing to do even if Disney do ant enforce it.

This is the official policy from MDE for CG. I'm a rule follower so for my family we adhere to the policy. Plus we enjoy dressing up a bit. But honestly I probably wouldn't notice if someone wasn't following this (unless of course, it was something crazy like a bathing suit).

Dress Code
Guests are asked to adhere to the minimum dress code requirements at this Signature Dining experience. Dressier attire is also welcome. Please explore the minimum dress code requirements:
Men must wear khakis, slacks or dress shorts and collared shirts. Jeans may be worn if in good condition. Sport coats are optional.
Women must wear Capri pants, skirts, dresses or dress shorts. Jeans may be worn if in good condition.
Not permitted are tank tops, flip-flops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics.

You are just being rude now.

I don't go to a restaurant just for the food. If I did I would order what I wanted to the house or to go. It's about so much more for me, and I don't feel like I am in the wrong for that. YES, what someone else chooses to wear ABSOLUTELY has an influence on that experience.

Not caring is not the same thing as not noticing. You SEE the other diners. You just don't care. The fact that I and many others DO care doesn't make us bad people, or snobs as you seem to be implying, just different from you. I grew up poor. The very rare occasions we went out to eat were special. We dressed and conducted ourselves as was appropriate for the location or we didn't go.

I like the special experience of a nice restaurant. It isn't the same experience in Applbees as in a Michelin 5 star, it just isn't. A large part of that is based on the other patrons, how they dress, and how they conduct themselves. How people dress effects how they conduct themselves, It's human nature to tailor ones behavior to their surroundings. Part of those surroundings is how they and others are dressed.

If there isn't a dress code, then I definitely don't have a right to complain. If there is an expected dress code, then I feel like a patron has every right to be bothered by it not being enforced.
I apologize if you feel I am being rude. That certainly was not my intention. Nor was it my intention to imply you were being a snob. I am sorry if you took it that way.

I was simply stating I don't pay attention too much besides what's on my table and who I am sharing a table with when I am having a nice meal out. Whether is at Applebees or The French Laundry. Would I show up to The French Laundry in shorts and a tee shirt? No...Of course not. That being said, I would not let someone else doing so ruin my experience. That was the only point I was trying to make.

Also, I think that you cannot overlook the fact that CG is in a Theme Park. It's not like someone drove 20 miles to a specific location and showed up in a t-shirt and shorts. Many of CG patrons are doing so straight from the parks. In Orlando Summer, no one is trying to dress up any more than they have to. Hell, I'd be in Disney shirtless if they'd let me.

Again, no offense intended. I hope you enjoy your future reservations.

If you read the above code. That pretty much OKs park attire. Shirt shorts and tennis shoes. As long as nothing vulgar or such print.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter