California Grill - Picture Report - Relive the experience! ADDED MAY '09 Pics Page 23

..... for the June, 2008 meals. Just got around to getting the menus out of the collection of receipts, maps, entertainment schedules, room bills to update the original pictures with more complete details / ingredients.

Whew - I sure HOPE the meal meets your expectations, after the build-up!!! Was trying to do the calculations - will you be there 9/26? Enjoy!!!

We will actually be there on the 27th. I forgot that we had to add a night on to our trip at All Stars for the 26th due to major flight changes by Delta over the past few months. We move from there to the Polynesian on Saturday for our original reservation.

So, on September 27, at 9:20 p.m. we will return to what used to be our favorite restaurant in WDW! :goodvibes

I just got a ADR for CG in dec! I got a 6:50 pm time and I am soooo happy,it is my dd 3 by then b day and our christmas vacation and we have all wanted to try it! She is going to be thrilled to get a good view of the fireworks!

So, on September 27, at 9:20 p.m. we will return to what used to be our favorite restaurant in WDW! :goodvibes

Well, our reservation is for 5:30 - same day!! Don't know that we will cross paths - chances are we will have moved on - with annual pass in hand, I prefer to watch Wishes from within the park - but still, if you are asking for Walter, we'll tell him to be on the lookout for you!d

Wow - the pictures in this thread are breathtaking!

I'm going to CG for the first time on 22 September, and I am plannin gon proposing to my girlfriend there.

Do you think it would be worth me mentioning this fact to the restaurant to see if they could do anything to 'help' me out?

I don't want to do anything too extreme, but was thinking along the lines of asking the server to bring the ring out on a plate, or something like that........

Has anyone ever seen any proposals in the CG?

Thanks! :)

Well, our reservation is for 5:30 - same day!! Don't know that we will cross paths - chances are we will have moved on - with annual pass in hand, I prefer to watch Wishes from within the park - but still, if you are asking for Walter, we'll tell him to be on the lookout for you!d

That is very interesting! My DH and I were discussing the possibility of trying to make an earlier ADR because we are actually now arriving the night before. No worries about late flights impacting our CA Grill return. So, if there is anything earlier, we may actually see you there. I will let you know how we do along those lines.

I have not yet requested a server. All I know is that I don't want the young man who waited on us five years ago.

I'm going to CG for the first time on 22 September, and I am plannin gon proposing to my girlfriend there.

Do you think it would be worth me mentioning this fact to the restaurant to see if they could do anything to 'help' me out?

I don't want to do anything too extreme, but was thinking along the lines of asking the server to bring the ring out on a plate, or something like that........

I don't have any knowledge of whether or not they will help you out, but I just wanted to say, "congratulations!"

I'm going to CG for the first time on 22 September, and I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend there.

I certainly think they would do pretty much anything (reasonable) you might ask - special delivery of ring on dessert tray - or in champagne glass - darn - if I weren't going to be on the DVC member cruise, I'd be there myself to take pictures!!! Sounds enchanting and very romantic. You might want to pop the question on the balcony during the fireworks - there are many great "lines" spoken during the fireworks by Jiminy Cricket that would feed in perfectly - many references to "dreams come true". Maybe take your champagne glasses out with you! Maybe watch Wishes, THEN return to your table and have champagne delivered, you get the idea.

Anyway, I know I've seen other people write of their experiences with proposing - in front of the castle, during Wishes, at the CG - I'll see if I can find them here on the DIS.

Proposal at Cindy's - you may find ideas in the details (if they do it there, the will probably do it at CG)

Link to a whole thread of proposal stories

I do recommend you request Walter - although he doesn't usually work Monday or Tuesday, if someone requests him on the reservation, he tries to check and change his work schedule to accommodate requests. If I can find his card, I'll PM you with it. On the other hand, I do have the manager's card and Chef Jens'. I won't publish it here, because I think that information is theirs to manage - but I think in your situation, I could ask her if it is OK to share with you. She has probably seen lots of good ideas implemented for a proposal.

That is very interesting! My DH and I were discussing the possibility of trying to make an earlier ADR because we are actually now arriving the night before. No worries about late flights impacting our CA Grill return. So, if there is anything earlier, we may actually see you there. I will let you know how we do along those lines.

...... I believe I am about the last 50-something woman in America with gray hair.... oh - and I always have my camera! Hope to see you there - how will I know? And here's a coincidence - MY name is ELLEN!

I have not yet requested a server. All I know is that I don't want the young man who waited on us five years ago.

Walter is great - but if he is not available, Gary is also very professional.

I certainly think they would do pretty much anything (reasonable) you might ask - special delivery of ring on dessert tray - or in champagne glass - darn - if I weren't going to be on the DVC member cruise, I'd be there myself to take pictures!!! Sounds enchanting and very romantic. You might want to pop the question on the balcony during the fireworks - there are many great "lines" spoken during the fireworks by Jiminy Cricket that would feed in perfectly - many references to "dreams come true". Maybe take your champagne glasses out with you! Maybe watch Wishes, THEN return to your table and have champagne delivered, you get the idea.

Anyway, I know I've seen other people write of their experiences with proposing - in front of the castle, during Wishes, at the CG - I'll see if I can find them here on the DIS.

Proposal at Cindy's - you may find ideas in the details (if they do it there, the will probably do it at CG)

Link to a whole thread of proposal stories

I do recommend you request Walter - although he doesn't usually work Monday or Tuesday, if someone requests him on the reservation, he tries to check and change his work schedule to accommodate requests. If I can find his card, I'll PM you with it. On the other hand, I do have the manager's card and Chef Jens'. I won't publish it here, because I think that information is theirs to manage - but I think in your situation, I could ask her if it is OK to share with you. She has probably seen lots of good ideas implemented for a proposal.

It's a shame you won't be there to take pictures, as the pictures you take are absolutely amazing :)

I think I'll request Walter - He sounds perfect, I'll call up today. Thanks. If you do hear anything from the manager of Chef Jens please let me know via pm - any input from the experts would be fantastic.

I really like the idea of after wishes having the champagne and the ring delivered to our table......

I was wondering, if I put on my reservation the fact I'm planning to propose, is there any chance Em (my DGF) would see it?

I thought about doing that to try to secure a great window seat if possible, but I dont know how the reservation computer works and I wouldnt want to arrive and have the screen flash up in front of both of us saying that I was planning to propose lol

And thank you so much for your reply, its really kind of you :)

...... I believe I am about the last 50-something woman in America with gray hair.... oh - and I always have my camera! Hope to see you there - how will I know? And here's a coincidence - MY name is ELLEN!

Walter is great - but if he is not available, Gary is also very professional.

Thanks for the tips on servers, Ellen! I am calling WDW this morning to see if there is an earlier dining time. I will let you know if I am successful and there is any chance our paths will cross.

I am one of the few fortunate 50-something women who has almost no gray hair; my husband has a full head of silvery-white hair.

My lovely daughters and me on the way to the Party for the Senses last year:
P1010627.jpg

It's a shame you won't be there to take pictures, as the pictures you take are absolutely amazing :)

I think I'll request Walter - He sounds perfect, I'll call up today. Thanks. If you do hear anything from the manager of Chef Jens please let me know via pm - any input from the experts would be fantastic.

I really like the idea of after wishes having the champagne and the ring delivered to our table......

I was wondering, if I put on my reservation the fact I'm planning to propose, is there any chance Em (my DGF) would see it?

I thought about doing that to try to secure a great window seat if possible, but I dont know how the reservation computer works and I wouldnt want to arrive and have the screen flash up in front of both of us saying that I was planning to propose lol

And thank you so much for your reply, its really kind of you :)

Congratulations!!!! I think this is so awesome that you're going to *pop* the question at WDW. I am planning on DH getting a new ring from me and am going to ask them to somehow slip it into the dessert they bring him or something.

From everything I have heard, they are very very helpful with special requests. I wonder too if you can't somehow speak to Walter ahead of time if you are able to have him be your server. It would work best if you knew he was going to take care of you that evening and you worked something out with him specifically. You def don't want it on the screen popping up! lol What a mess that would be!

Again, congrats and keep us posted on how it goes!

We will be at CG on Oct 3, our ADR is for 5:50 (I tried for 6:00) I really wanted to catch a sunset....but now WIshes is back on for that night at 9.

Should I try for a little later ADR or just go with what we have, enjoy our meal, then hang at the Contemp and go back up for Wishes?

We will be a party of 5 including a 5 and 11 year old.

Thanks for your input!
Margaret

I finally got some pictures that my son took from our July dinner. The shots are not the greatest. He claims that the dim lighting at California Grill was the blame for them. :rolleyes1

So enjoy.....

Chocolate Temptation
disney583.jpg

Filet
disney570.jpg

Banana Buzz
disney580.jpg

Foie Gras
disney561.jpg

Lamb Tenderloin
disney569.jpg

Jenny's Corner
disney577.jpg

Birthday cake
disney576.jpg

Honey Crunch Cake
disney581.jpg

Strawberry City(I think?)
disney585.jpg

Sushi Sampler
disney558.jpg

We will be at CG on Oct 3, our ADR is for 5:50 (I tried for 6:00) I really wanted to catch a sunset....but now WIshes is back on for that night at 9.

Should I try for a little later ADR or just go with what we have, enjoy our meal, then hang at the Contemp and go back up for Wishes?

We will be a party of 5 including a 5 and 11 year old.

Thanks for your input!
Margaret

I sent this infor in a PM, but thought I'd post it here in case others had the same question:
-------------------------------------
Depends.....
.... how well do the kids hold up - hunger & fatigue?

You could make it an hour later (if reservation available), then take your time over dinner, cash out, then mosey out to the balcony.

Both work equally well - just depends on what you like. We have done all of the scenarios in this post - click here for longer discussion of timing.

I don't know if you already read it (long threads can be slow going to wade through, I know). If you have more questions, let me know.

I finally got some pictures that my son took from our July dinner. The shots are not the greatest. He claims that the dim lighting at California Grill was the blame for them. :rolleyes1

So enjoy.....

Thanks for posting - I see some new things to try next month! Looks like the new pastry chef is creating new desserts (Jenny' s Corner?)

Thanks for the tips on servers, Ellen! I am calling WDW this morning to see if there is an earlier dining time. I will let you know if I am successful and there is any chance our paths will cross.

I will look for you on 9/27 - were you able to change your reservation?

I will look for you on 9/27 - were you able to change your reservation?

Unfortunately for us, but good for CA Grill, they are sold out that night. So, no change in our ADR time. When you request a server, do you have it put on your ADR right from the beginning? And then reiterate it when you arrive at the podium downstairs?

Unfortunately for us, but good for CA Grill, they are sold out that night. So, no change in our ADR time. When you request a server, do you have it put on your ADR right from the beginning? And then reiterate it when you arrive at the podium downstairs?

If we decide to hang out, I'll look for you.

In answer to your question - YES, I note the server request on the reservation AND I remind them again after I get off the elevator.

If we decide to hang out, I'll look for you.

In answer to your question - YES, I note the server request on the reservation AND I remind them again after I get off the elevator.

Make sure you have your camera hanging around your neck! :rotfl:

I need to call and add Walter to my reservation. He ought to be done with your table by the time we get there. Speaking of time, we will probably arrive early to have a drink or two at the bar, so maybe we will overlap at some point!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter