California Grill vs Celebration at The Top

CyndiLouWho

DIS Veteran
Looking for a celebration type dinner as we have a few special occasions this year, notably DH & my 35th anniversary. I have a res at California Grill at 7:30 at the end of March. I was hoping for Celebration at the Top as it seems fun with more selections.
Right now, Celebration is not offered during our vacation, but if it opens, would you ditch California grill to do Celebration at the Top?

Looking for a celebration type dinner as we have a few special occasions this year, notably DH & my 35th anniversary. I have a res at California Grill at 7:30 at the end of March. I was hoping for Celebration at the Top as it seems fun with more selections.
Right now, Celebration is not offered during our vacation, but if it opens, would you ditch California grill to do Celebration at the Top?
This is a great question! I, also, have a California Grill reservation for 720 at the end of March and originally wanted a Celebration at the Top. I just want to make sure I have a seat on the roof to watch the fireworks.

I think it depends on what you want from the meal - there are lots of YouTube videos on Celebration at the Top, so I recommend you take a look. CG is going to be a 3-course prix fixe meal with a starter/entree/dessert, and although I like the food, IMO the restaurant tends to be very loud, and there are lots of kids (not a criticism of the kids, just a comparison since it's an anniversary meal). Celebration at the Top is a meal made of heavy hors d'ouvres, if that makes sense - upscale sliders, sushi/sashimi, shrimp, salmon, ravioli, bao (sounds like they have changed this to pork katsu sandwiches?) etc, and then a dessert buffet. I thought the quality was really good - the desserts aren't the typical meh dessert party stuff, for instance. And there is one price for adults and kids, so it tends to be more adults. The rooms aren't as pretty as the restaurant, though, and you may need to arrive early to get a table by the window.

See what I mean? It just depends what you want from the dinner.

For me, I think Celebration is one of the best "extras" money can buy for adults - pricing includes adult beverages (not just wine - anything), and they are not stingy. Plus, you know you will already be at the restaurant when fireworks start, no stressing about someone loitering at a table and messing up your seating time. Let me put it this way - I have a solo trip coming up, and they just released a date on the Sunday I arrive, but I land at 5:55 pm. I so loved the one I did that I am tempted to book it and switch my flight to arrive on Saturday!!!! I'll be at WDW with DH in 2025, and I am going to book us one of these...

Aaaand, because I am now remembering how awesome it is, and because my hubby was all, "go for it!" I just booked my date. I blame all of you :)

Rather just eat really good food and watch from outside during the normal dining reservation. I have never had an issue seeing them. You can leave your food while you watch. Never really had issues with kids there as I usually have a later reservation anyway and people are dressed up, including myself. Usually do weekends

We love the Sip and Savor, but think, from recent reports, they dropped the Lobster Bisque which was one of our favorites on the buffet.

Rather just eat really good food and watch from outside during the normal dining reservation. I have never had an issue seeing them. You can leave your food while you watch. Never really had issues with kids there as I usually have a later reservation anyway and people are dressed up, including myself. Usually do weekends
To clarify, for me, it's been the noise rather than kids - I've only had one bad experience there that was kid-related, and of course, that was because the kids weren't being parented (they were running all over the restaurant - literally racing in circles around the tables). Very much a one-off, however. I really enjoy the 3-course menu.

We love the Sip and Savor, but think, from recent reports, they dropped the Lobster Bisque which was one of our favorites on the buffet.
Nooooooooo!!!

To clarify, for me, it's been the noise rather than kids - I've only had one bad experience there that was kid-related, and of course, that was because the kids weren't being parented (they were running all over the restaurant - literally racing in circles around the tables). Very much a one-off, however. I really enjoy the 3-course menu.

Nooooooooo!!!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/celebration-at-the-top-sushi-allergies.3937432/

This is a link to the most recent menu news I have seen on the Boards.

I've been to Celebration at the Top (we call it Cat top) many times. The bartenders alone are worth the trip.
Amazing! Great teamwork -- they really have to hustle when everyone arrives as it is open bar. They make
a great fruity drink. The food reminds me of C.G. before it went prix fixe. The appetizers, sushi and desserts
are a step above the usual party stuff. Great view of fireworks, and then back inside for the desserts. This is a grand
night. I would much rather attend this event than spend 300 +++ for two people at C.G. Problem is booking.
It's a real art form to get tickets.

I did celebration at the top 2 weekends ago. I really enjoyed it, I've done the firework package at Tomorrowland Terrance and definitely preferred it to that. I will say that if you don't drink, I think CG may be better overall. I just let the bartenders make whatever tiki inspired drink they would like. I wouldn't go to celebration starving though but the food was definitely nice, and yes the lobster bisque was not there.

Tips if you do do Celebration, I recommend getting to the checkin early rather than later. I think we were there 20-25 min early. We were in the first elevator up and had basically pick of any table. We went with a table by the windows by the bar, it had great view of the park. For the Fireworks, try to go out a little early. The balcony you have access to is behind the CG balcony. If you get on the square at the end, you'll have a fantastic view, but the further down the balcony the more you may get a little blocked by the CG balcony.

IMO the restaurant tends to be very loud, and there are lots of kids (not a criticism of the kids, just a comparison since it's an anniversary meal).
Thanks for the very thorough comparison. I will say the plan is not for a romantic anniversary dinner as our DS will be with us. It's more like fancy family dinner as DS turns 15 the week before our trip, my birthday is in April and our anniversary in May. I do think we would prefer Celebration at the Top but right now, booking is open for 2 weekends in March but not the one we are there. If it does open up, I will jump on it.
Thanks everyone for all the great info and insight!

Thanks for the very thorough comparison. I will say the plan is not for a romantic anniversary dinner as our DS will be with us. It's more like fancy family dinner as DS turns 15 the week before our trip, my birthday is in April and our anniversary in May. I do think we would prefer Celebration at the Top but right now, booking is open for 2 weekends in March but not the one we are there. If it does open up, I will jump on it.
Thanks everyone for all the great info and insight!
Good luck! It has been a challenge for me to get a trip lined up with another one, and technically, it didn't line up ;). I'm sure either will be wonderful. Hope you have an amazing trip, happy anniversary!

We did Celebration at the Top in February - agreed with PP that bartenders are what make the experience; they took it personally to ensure no one's drink went empty (alcoholic or not). The food was only ok - the desserts didn't make an impact either.

All in all enjoyed it, though definitely not worth the price point (though i could say that for many things)

We did Celebration at the Top in February - agreed with PP that bartenders are what make the experience; they took it personally to ensure no one's drink went empty (alcoholic or not). The food was only ok - the desserts didn't make an impact either.

All in all enjoyed it, though definitely not worth the price point (though i could say that for many things)

Yeah I try to wrap my head around doing it also. For the same price, I can get better food and the same firework view with a normal reservation. Those little desserts I wouldn't get if at dinner, so it averages itself out. Was considering trying it but don't know. I was reading the little food items they have there are good though.

Yeah I try to wrap my head around doing it also. For the same price, I can get better food and the same firework view with a normal reservation. Those little desserts I wouldn't get if at dinner, so it averages itself out. Was considering trying it but don't know. I was reading the little food items they have there are good though.
I read multiple reviews that said the food was good too but the little savory bites weren't anything to write home for. Only two types of sushi (shrimp tempura and california roll), little katsu sliders which were pork (i know some people are so-so on pork), goat cheese ravioli (whole family liked these the best but i cant stomach goat cheese).

Hopefully if you go you enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter