Can I bring snacks for my toddler?

gshoemate

<font color=blue>Wants to Talk to the Dolphins!<br
My toddler is a picky eater and only like certain snacks...Ritz crackers, Gerber fruit snacks..etc., will I be allowed to bring these with me? TIA

You can bring food/beverages on board...

but you can only take it off the ship if it is sealed in it's orginial packaging... :wave2:

My son is not a picky eater but we did find that grabing an extra box of cereal (individual portions) off the breakfast table and keeping it in a bag or in the room was very helpfull for our little eater.

but you can only take it off the ship if it is sealed in it's orginial packaging...

I am sorry but I don't understand this. If it was supposed to be funny then I am too tired and don't get it. .:confused:

We took food from room service off the ship in ziplocks, as well as loose cereal, cookies, and all kinds of things I can't remember anymore, but the common denominator is that none of it was in original packaging.

Not to mention, it's not like anyone looks in your bag as you're leaving the ship.

No, not a joke... some sort of federal regulation doens't allow you to bring opened food products off the ships. It's how they control the transportation of foods contaminated with diseases/pests/etc. I guess it was just confusing.. I meant when you disembark back at Port Canaveral.

When you walk off the ship into the port to baggage claim, there is that table where they make you leave all openned foods. They mention it in the disembarkment talk on the last night. You are right when you say they aren't out there at baggage claim searching bags, but if you get caught, it's a pretty stiff fine.

Hope that's clearer :) I think if you are at the ports of call, you can take snacks off. It's just when you get home that you can't take the open ones back.

Not to have an on-line argument, but on our cruise there was no such table at disembarkation. The only food we were prohibited to bring back was fruit, vegetable, plants, etc... the usual stuff prohibited by US Customs regs, but there was nothing mentioned about open food stuffs like crackers. In fact, we left the ship with numerous open food items including DH's birthday cake from dinner the night before that DCL packaged for us to take home.

We also took off my b'day cake with no problems.
Fruits, veggies, meats and plants are not allowed back into the US. Reading the Customs papers that you must fill out will explain this better.

I distinctly remember something about US Customs not allowing baked goods off the ship in Port Canaveral unless they are in an unopened package. I don't have any of this customs information anymore, so I can't quote it exactly, but we did make a point of finishing all cookies, crackers, etc. before we got off the ship. This regulation may not be strictly enforced, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

We brought toddler snacks on board in yogurt cups, which we used on CC for sand and water toys.

Yes, they are mainly concerned about fruits, vegetables, and meats, but I, too, remember the baked goods caveat. Given that it is a $50,000 fine (yes, you read that correctly) to bring a food item that is prohibited into the United States, I guess I just would not risk it. In general, we are talking about a few dollars worth of stuff--just discard the opened stuff, and keep that which is not opened. There is a clear warning in the documents about bringing opened snack food onto the ship, too.

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember that, about bringing open food on board at Port Canaveral. I think we finished off the open snacks in the terminal, and brought on board the sealed packages. I wish I could remember more details.

I guess the point is, if you want to play by the rules, you can bring on snacks, as long as they are unopened when you embark, and try to finish or discard any open snacks before debarking. And, of course, have a great trip!

We left a cake behind because they said no opened containers. I was desparate to take a cup of coffee with me, but given the threat of fine, I didn't even try. Might have been fine, but not worth the possibility. I had wanted to buy a basket at one of the ports and didn't because it was made of "plant material." I have no idea if that would have been against the law...I have to think it would have been okay, but again, left it at the booth at the port because of that law.

I just always remembered it was Cruise Director's Rick's big joke at the end of the cruise about the "table" as you get off the ship showing all the food people had tried to take off. And on my last holiday cruise they had a gingerbread making class, and it was a big deal because were were allowed to to take it off the ship, they said we had to used the special brown bag that DCL had gotten permission from customs, because normally you can't take food off the ship.

Yep, here I was planning to load up on a 30# bag of his customary dog kibble so that Cash would not have his tummy upset by a different food on his first cruise (do dogs get seasick, too?) and I was suddenly stopped in my tracks by the TA who informed me of the no open containers rule. Well, I simply do not want to make a long involved study out of determining just how much he is likely to eat on a four-day (May '04) or a 10-day (December '04) cruise, so that I can avoid the dreaded "waste not, want not" syndrome, and I've decided to take canned food, which is a treat around here and destined to delight Mr. Service Dog no end. Now, I have to be sure to reserve a real live refrigerator and remember to pack the can opener, remember to pack the can opener, remember to pack the can opener................::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

Originally posted by videogal1
Now, I have to be sure to reserve a real live refrigerator and remember to pack the can opener, remember to pack the can opener, remember to pack the can opener................::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::
Lynda,
"REMEMBER TO PACK THE CAN OPENER" would be a great 'tag' for you and Cash.
Oh, TF are you reading this thread. ::yes::

Hi Tag Fairy...what a surprise!
I'll sure remember the opener now...but which one, I wonder?
Did the TF rulebook by any chance mention what kind of can opener I'd be able to take on the plane? I'll need to bring one for the WDW days before and after each of the cruises, otherwise I'd just ask for assistance from the cabin steward. Anyone know if one of those delicate foldup Army can openers you can use one handed is likely to be confiscated at the airport :confused:

Now, I have to be sure to reserve a real live refrigerator and remember to pack the can opener, remember to pack the can opener, remember to pack the can opener................

Or buy the dog food with the flip top type lids?

As for whether a can opener can travel, as long as you put it in your luggage and not your carry-on, it won't be a problem. I don't that that it would be a problem, just that this is the sure-fire way to avoid one.

Interesting about the baked goods, this must be a country to country law, as I came back from Toronto a few weeks ago with five large boxes of Tim Bits, twenty bottles of wine, and four cases of beer. We declared it all, and they didn't give a hoot about the Timmy's, and told us not to worry about the duty on the alcohol.

I've brought Timmy's back before on an airplane from Calgary, and my Calgary based friend has brought me Timmy's to NJ and when we've met in Florida and Las Vegas.

Definitely no fresh produce or meats can be brought in though, although Florida is much more strict than other parts of the US. In other parts of the US your foods simply need to be inspected and you can bring them in.

Anne

Anne,

There is no problem with packaged baked goods, only opened ones.

moinab--

Tim Horton's are Canada's equivelant to Dunkin Donuts. So not really "packed" as in sealed packaging like for example Pop Tarts would be in, but rather in the boxes that they use.

So that's why I'm really questioning this. Like I said, they were declared every time.

Anne

With all due respect, I don't see the connection between what's transported between Canada and the U.S. with the cruise regulations. I would think that there are different policies due to the proximity of the two countries, but I could be mistaken.

BTW, there isn't a table at disembarkation, they now have a bin. I saw a family unloading a ton of fruit into it once they read the warning while exiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter