Can I bring snacks for my toddler?

Enough speculation already. Here is the skinny from US Customs:

Q: Why Did U.S. Customs Take My Food?
A: Because Customs inspectors are stationed at ports of entry and along our land and sea borders, they are often called upon to enforce laws and requirements of other Government agencies. This is done to protect community health, preserve domestic plant and animal life, etc.

Most fruits and vegetables are either prohibited from entering the United States or require an import permit. Every fruit or vegetable must be declared to the Customs officer and must be presented for inspection, no matter how free of pests it appears to be. Failure to declare all food products can result in civil penalties. Meats, livestock, poultry, and their by-products are either prohibited or restricted from entering the United States, depending on the animal disease condition in the country of origin. Fresh meat is generally prohibited from most countries. Canned, cured, or dried meat is severely restricted from most countries. Bakery items and all cured cheeses are generally admissible. . You should contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Animal Plant Health Inspection Services for more detailed information.

{Bolding mine}

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/faqs.xml

Originally posted by mcnuss
Enough speculation already. Here is the skinny from US Customs:

Meats, livestock, poultry, and their by-products are either prohibited or restricted from entering the United States, depending on the animal disease condition in the country of origin. Fresh meat is generally prohibited from most countries. Canned, cured, or dried meat is severely restricted from most countries. Bakery items and all cured cheeses are generally admissible. . You should contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Animal Plant Health Inspection Services for more detailed information.

{Bolding mine}

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/faqs.xml

Well, there goes Cash's canned dog food or even hamburger (hampony?) on the hoof, BD, who suggested a small pony waiting at the port..... Maybe I can pack Cash some canned corn, or something.....? :confused:

They make a distinction typically between opened items and those that are not opened. No one ever said that unopened bakery items (e.g., a Tortuga rum cake) aren't allowed.

They make a distinction typically between opened items and those that are not opened

As an attorney, this thread has interested me from the beginning. I spent this morning searching through the Code of Federal Regulations, and I can report that no where in any regulation is there a distinction made between opened or unopened bakery items.

I did learn that while the US Customs Service acts as the "police" at the ports to make sure that the prohibited food does not enter the country, these are actually Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulations - to be extremely specific, the Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service. Who knew?

In any case, here is an even more detailed list of prohibited and allowed products. And as many have speculated, there is a difference between the way we treat food imports from Canada and Mexico. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/travel/usdatips.html

The best advice is that if you are bringing in any food item, opened or unopened, just declare it and let the inspector tell you whether it is allowed or not. You are NOT going to get in trouble if you are honest & up front with them; if the items need to be dumped, then they'll tell you.

As I mentioned before, we left the ship with DH's birthday cake. I did not fill out our customs forms, DH did, but knowing him as I do (he's a lawyer too!), he would have declared it. Nobody batted an eyelash. We travel to Europe every few years, and on those trips we always bring back loads of baked goods. None of them are sealed - they are from real bakeries. Again, we've always declared them and never had trouble. (We've gotten a few giggles though at "2 dozen scones" and a one inspector in Boston asked my DD if he could have one of her chocolate croissants. :D ) I guess that's why this thread really piqued my curiousity -- that and I hate to see good food wasted for no reason. My mother warned me all too often about all those starving kids....

Oh, and videogal, I am having a little trouble understanding the gist of your dog food posts, perhaps they are intended for 1 particular person, but...I think if you put the dog food in rubbermaid containers or a ziplock bags, no one would look askance. And canned dog food going on board will not be a problem, nor do I think taking it off would be bc the reg says Fresh, dried, or canned meats and meat products are prohibited entry into the United States from most foreign countries and since your dog food would have been made & purchased in the US and would be labeled as such, it should be ok. Just don't peel off the labels!! And if I am missing an inside joke, and jumped into something that I shouldn't have, then I am sorry and embarrassed all at once. :blush:

Videogal has a service dog, that is why she is concerned about the food.

Gal, you should be fine taking canned food on board since you are coming from the US.

And I have found that the can rules change on a day-by-day basis sometimes when it comes to U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, along with the USDA, if there is a known problem. There also seems to be more diligence in Florida with items coming in from the Caribbean and South America.

Videogal has a service dog, that is why she is concerned about the food.

That part I got, and thanks for reiterating my point about the canned food. It's this part that I was referring to...

even hamburger (hampony?) on the hoof

But it really doesn't matter anyway.

Again, if you're worried, declare it and let the inspectors tell you what to do. Quite simple.

Ducklite said....
Tim Horton's are Canada's equivelant to Dunkin Donuts.

To compare Hortons to Dunkin Donuts is to say the least sacrilege.

To put it in a form you would probably understand, it is like comparing one of your Concierge suites to the room that the majority of us usually stay in :)

Cheers,
Grumbo

That part I got, and thanks for reiterating my point about the canned food. It's this part that I was referring to...
Again, if you're worried, declare it and let the inspectors tell you what to do. Quite simple.
Wellll,

The irrepressible Buckaroo's Dad (BD) from these Boards offered the suggestion that I simply park a small pony at the gangway the first time I went through this search for the perfect nutritious shipboard meal for a 110# lab. I'm sure he has skipped this thread entirely, as I can't imagine him passing up such bait as flying can openers.

I'm probably becoming a bore on the subject but I've read how the Norwalk virus turned grown men into quivvering fountains and, to tell you the truth, I am really determined that my working dog not be laid low because of some food situation that I could manage before the cruise. I figure the best way to avoid a problem is to send out a call for ideas....So far, turkey sandwiches, hold the mayo, is one suggestion I got that would sure keep the luggage weight down and be VERY cost effective (thank you DCL kitchen) and Mr. Service Dog would sure leave no remains for the food police to worry about. This idea came from a TA who organizes cruises for people with service dogs and she, too was not aware that there was a problem packing kibble on and off the ship...she divides hers, too, into zip-lock bags and takes with her the leftovers.....Yes, time to make a telephone call....;)

What an interesting turn this thread has taken, from snacks for a toddler, to Tim Hortons v. Dunkin Donuts (Krispie Kreams win anyway), to USDA and Customs regs, to snacks for a dog. Now given that you mention that said dog is a Lab, fact is, we are really basically back on topic. LOL!

We have 2 lab babies, but neither is as large as yours. Both are females, one weighs in at 65#, the other at 80#, but the 80#er is a major food thief.

In terms of the dog food issue, DCL is really the only authority on this. You are taking the food on the ship, not off, so really the Customs stuff does not affect you at all. I'd take his regular food in ziplocks as the TA suggested, or in its orginal packaging if you can basically guess how much you'll need for both WDW and the cruise. That way you know you'll have just enough and you won't need to worry about taking any off. Further, with the traveling, it does not seem like a good time to change his food. I would hate to see him um, indisposed so to speak, on a sea day. Anyway, people bring on way more stuff that I would consider hinky than dog food for a service animal. And I gotta tell you that I am sure I had opened food when we embarked. I tend to swipe stuff from buffets and DCL had put on a very nice spread at the Hyatt while we waited for the Magic to be cleaned last year, so I am sure I would have had some cookies or danish or something in my purse... I would not sweat this at all.
Last but not least, how are you getting to the cruise. Bc if keeping luggage weight down is a goal, I have 2 ideas. 1. You know that Shirley from these boards would probably help you in PC if you asked her. She could have the food delivered right to the ship the way gift baskets get delivered. 2. If you are taking a car service, is it possible to have them stop for you at a grocery store?

ps: With all the food that the little kids drop all over that ship, I suspect that the dog isn't going to need much kibble. Ahh, the chicken tenders, pizza, burgers, ice cream.....

Originally posted by Grumbo
Ducklite said....

To compare Hortons to Dunkin Donuts is to say the least sacrilege.

To put it in a form you would probably understand, it is like comparing one of your Concierge suites to the room that the majority of us usually stay in :)

Cheers,
Grumbo

Then perhaps you could come up with a better analogy for those in the states who don't know what Tim's is.

And frankly, they are both quite good (although I prefer Tim's), and your sarcastic comment was unwarranted.

Anne

Unwarranted? Sarcastic?

I think back to posts where you condescendingly comment on Day's Inn and Holiday Inns and state...

Um, well, I would sleep in my car before I'd stay at one of the above chains

Just using your analogy :)

You have a good day Ann

:wave2:

Cheers,
Grumbo

If that comment was sarcastic, then apparently my sarcasm detector is out of whack. I thought it was kind of cute, and I think the majority of the readers here understood the harmless humor that was intended. Yeesh.

They are not a problem, either to bring on the ship or into the US. I have about 20 different kinds of French & British chocolate in my house to prove it! (LOVE that Cadbury's....) Some people bring back snowglobes, my vice is chocolate. What can I say?

They are not a problem, either to bring on the ship or into the US. I have about 20 different kinds of French & British chocolate in my house to prove it! (LOVE that Cadbury's....) Some people bring back snowglobes, my vice is chocolate. What can I say?
You can get 'good' Cadbury on St. Marteen and Grand Cayman. Bringing back chocolate is not a problem. We usually bring back about $100. worth or more each time we come back from England. When I put that on my Custom's paper they look at me like I'm crazy and don't ask questions :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter