Can someone describe the Funtastic World of Hanna Barbera?

JerseyJanice

A Disboards original...
I see this listed as an attraction at the Studios. We got Cartoon Network recently, and DS (5) has been going crazy over all the old H-B cartoons.

Anyway, what is this attraction like? Is it a show? Or a Buzz Lightyear type thing? Something else?

Ok, I will do my best here, Janice.. bear with me.

I can't remember what the que line was like but, If I remember correctly posters of some of cartoon characters.

You go into this big type room, and there are cars, (well they are supposed to look like cars I think.. ) they are sort of like like the vehicles in the Ellen Degeneres attraction at Epcot... (thats what is reminded me of but the deminsions are a bit different.)

There is a big screen in front of all these cars. There are maybe 20-25 in the room (just a guess!)

They show Dick Dastardly on the screen, and the "plot" was to catch up with him. You go through scenes of many cartoons, Jetsons, Flintstones, and a few others.

The car moves up and down, to coincide with the action in the cartoon in front of you. I remember thinking it was going to be a kiddie ride, and well, the first few bumps, ... wow, it was fun..

After the ride there is a nice interactive place. There is a Flinstone car that kids sit in, a climbing tree (I think), and a keyboard on the floor where kids were stomping on it to make cartoon noises.

Of course there was a gift shop too.

You should find Kelly Monaghans book on Universal, his descriptions are much better than mine..

If I were to compare it to anything at Disney it would be more like Body Wars or Star Tours in a bigger venue and with a little less nausea...

It is a lot rougher than it seems, considering it has the look of a "kiddie ride". My son loves it, which proves it is NOT a kiddie ride :rolleyes:!

Go see it while you can, because sources say that they are changing from Hanna Barbera some time in the future. Word is it might change to Sponge Bob.

did you ride journey to Jerusalem in the Millenium village? If so it reminds me of the way Funtastic World of Hanna Barbera is set up.

Yes, Shalyn, we did do that attraction (Jerusalem). DS was O.K. on it, so I think he'll love the Hanna-Barbera thing.

I just hope it's there! I received a recent copy of US's park map, and the attraction isn't shown or mentioned anywhere on it.

I know it was open in Jan. I hope it isn't gone. I know Kong is going soon. I hope we don't lose 2 of our favoirtes.

Odd, my park maps from August it is on there...

Where did you get the map? Could it be an older map?

The only reason I ask that is my DH's company just gave us a bunch of tourist info (they have Work/Life Program) and all the brochures they gave him were outdated...

The US/IOA had on the copy "come visit the soon to be opened Islands of Adventure". And the Seaworld brochures didn't have JTA, or Kraken on it. The USF brochures didn't have MIB in it either.

I told him to tell the person in charge to update the brochures.

I ordered our park tickets on-line from floridaorlandotickets.net (I think--I got the address from these boards somewhere).

They mailed the tickets with a slew of brochures and coupons from places in Orlando. I think the main reason this company sells discounted park tickets (I bought both WDW and Universal from them) is so that they can send you all this info.

I got two maps. One for the Studios, the other was IOA. They look recent, but I've never been there, so I can't say for sure.

The Hanna-Barbera attraction is listed on US's website, though.

I got a video and a bunch of park info from Universal a month ago and there is no mention of Hanna Barbera anywhere.

Where did you get a video? I'd love to have one, although it's probably too late to get it in time for our trip.

They do show it in the video, you are right. Janice, I'm not sure if they are shipping out Universal videos anymore.. maybe someone else can confirm that?

Originally posted by Trixie
Go see it while you can, because sources say that they are changing from Hanna Barbera some time in the future. Word is it might change to Sponge Bob.

Bummer! My kids and I always liked this ride. There are stationary seats in the front row but it's a bit like the 1st row of a movie theatre.

In the little interactive play area there are some fun computer type activities, although during our last visits MANY of the things weren't working. There a couple of GREAT photo ops too!

Sorry, but one thing for sure, Hanna is not going to close and become Sponge Bob.

But it will be changing, right? I don't put much faith in that Sponge Bob possibility, either.

I know that Universal is really pushing to capitalize off this Sponge Bob popularity. But I don't know how much longer that irritating little sponge can stay popular, it drives me nuts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter