Can we modify?

kellygreenjenny

Earning My Ears
We are scheduled to travel the last week of March, staying at SSR on our current UY points (our first stay since purchasing). Unfortunately, we are monitoring dd for a medical issue that may potentially last a while (or might be nothing and resolve in the next couple days). Is it already too late to move our SSR reservation out to this summer? If not, at what point does it become too late and we go into that holding issue. Also, how does it work for points in holding? Thanks - we are worried about our daughter and overwhelmed.at trying to figure out this holding points issue. I'm sure it is written clearly somewhere but I cannot find it.

We are scheduled to travel the last week of March, staying at SSR on our current UY points (our first stay since purchasing). Unfortunately, we are monitoring dd for a medical issue that may potentially last a while (or might be nothing and resolve in the next couple days). Is it already too late to move our SSR reservation out to this summer? If not, at what point does it become too late and we go into that holding issue. Also, how does it work for points in holding? Thanks - we are worried about our daughter and overwhelmed.at trying to figure out this holding points issue. I'm sure it is written clearly somewhere but I cannot find it.
As @crisi mentioned they will go into holding.

If you modify a reservation 30 days out or less they will go into holding so 31+ you are good.

You can still use those points that are in holding but you must book 60 or less days to check in which of course there is not much available then.
Holding points will expire and you can not bank them.

If you wanted to book July 4th for example you would have to wait until April 5th to book that stay as that is 60 days out.
Points that were not used for the reservation will not be affected, just the ones that you had used for the reservation that you have to modify or cancel.

DVC does offer insurance but it basically only will pay for your dues but I have never used it so not sure exactly how it works.

Here's the thing nobody's telling you. SOMETIMES, if there are extrenuating circumstances, you can call MS and they just may return those points w/o putting them in holding. They did it once for us with an unexpected death in the immediate family literally while we were pulling in the parking lot at OKW. Granted that was 'extreme,' but there have been other situations where it happened that weren't quite as dire also. It never hurts to call and ask should it come to that.

Here's the thing nobody's telling you. SOMETIMES, if there are extrenuating circumstances, you can call MS and they just may return those points w/o putting them in holding. They did it once for us with an unexpected death in the immediate family literally while we were pulling in the parking lot at OKW. Granted that was 'extreme,' but there have been other situations where it happened that weren't quite as dire also. It never hurts to call and ask should it come to that.
This is true. It is know as a one time exemption, but they keep a record of it, so once used dont try again.
Since OP is looking at SSR anyway, moving to the summer might be ok for holding points. We have booked under 60 days before and had a week together. The other option might be 3 or 4 days at one resort and 3 or 4 at another, split stay.
Hope your daughter is ok

There is also another possibility, if you have extra points to book another reservation.
If you  need to cancel and points go into uolding, you can immediately book a vacation for this summer and try 60 days out to modify the reservation. The act of modifying the reservation 60 days out  may swap the holding points for the current UY points. It's likely a bug and they might fix it before you can use it, but if you really end up with holding points, it's worth a shot. Note that if you borrow points to make the new reservation, then the points won't return to the original UY, so don't do that if you don't intend to use them regardless during this UY.

As others suggested, try speaking with MS first.
Good luck!

I personally would not risk my one get out of jail free card on this my calling MS as the original stay is for SSR and that should be doable 60 days out.

I have heard of the 'one free' exemption applied to banking points, but I have never heard of it being applied to holding points and extenuating circumstances. Extenuating circumstances are just that, extenuating circumstances. I've never had to do it a second time so far, but I believe human compassion is the grander point of humanity. If there are dire circumstances, MS will do everything they can to show compassion. It's one of the few things left that separates DVC from other timeshares.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter