• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

can we tow this?

CdnMom2

DIS Veteran
We have a very good deal available to us from friends on an older trailer camper. It is small -- sorry don't have the specific right now -- 13 feet?

We have a minivan -- 3.1L, V6 I'm told are the important numbers here.

We would be driving from Ontario in late December via I-75 i.e. some Kentucky mountains.

Should we look any further into this trailer or give up immediately because of our tow vehicle. I know you all on this Board have been SO helpful previously AND I'm just getting ensnared on The Web looking for any info.
Thank you for any advice!

Hi,
My guess is your van is rated to tow about 3500#. 13ft is a very small travel trailer. Most minivans are better suited to tow pop ups. Especially front wheel drive minivans. The only one that is really setup to tow travel trailers is a Chevy Astro ( GMC safari). You should try posting this question at trailerlife.com in their forums. You need to be more specific about the trailer size and what minivan you have though. Most important is the weight of the trailer.
Happy Campin!!!

Dave:p

Thank you David for your quick reply & the link. I will find out more details today then. I just didn't want to bother them as a hopeful customer if there's truly no hope of our towing it with our TransSport Van!

cdnmom,
Most important if you do decide to tow this trailer with your minivan is that you have an auxilliary transmission cooler on your minvan. You dont want to ruin your transmission by putting all that excess stress on it especially if you are going to be going thru mountains. Give that link a try and you will get some really good answers from people that are VERY knowledgable about towing and travel trailers.

Happy Campin!!!:p

cdnmom
Hi like David said the weight of the trailer and more importantly the the hitch weight too! Mini vans are close to the ground you would need stabilizers and maybe helper springs. Check your manual it should have towing #'s in it. also find the label in the camper for its weight. Most importantly if it can be done with your vehicle don't overload either take the bare min. You'll have a car get it when you get there. Trailer life is a great help too. I've been there we have an '84 that is 24' and 4800 #'s my V8 Sequoia handles it great but I don't carry water just enough for pit stops, and I try to carry just enough to get where I'm going. Also we usually travel with my M&D so their RV takes my extra stuff. Hardest part is packing the cloths. Tires is another BIG concern in the yrs my M&D have traveled the number of blown tires on campers is unbeliveable (mine are being replaced next week). Good luck there is nothing like camping.

Thank you so much for your replies. We have decided not to purchase the camper. But most of all, because of your quick responses we both feel good about our decision & not like we missed a great deal.

For us, this wouldn't have worked. It's our first drive down & packing the van for all 6 of us will be a trial as it is -- we'll be weighed down there. Adding stuff to the transmission, a hitch, and just the worry of it all would not have been worth it.

We're sticking with the large tent the Easter Bunny brought us for this trip, a crock pot, kettle and a soon-to-be-purchased car fridge.

Our friends have several buyers sniffing about so they'll be happy to sell it at the higher price they're asking instead of the deal they would have offered us. AND we didn't realize it didn't have fridge/stove anymore so wouldn't have been the deal for us we were thinking it would be.

Thanks again helpful expertS!

Canadian Mom,
Well you are best to think things like this out as many people have made big mistakes buying trailers and not having appropriate tow vehicles, MYSELF included. Good luck and
HAPPY CAMPIN!!!!!!

Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter