• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can you bank and borrow transferred points?

Lorana

DIS Veteran
If I have points transferred into my account - let's say Aug 2021 UY points - can I borrow those into 2020, if say I made a reservation in April 2020?

If I transferred Dec 2020 points into my membership but then decide not to travel in 2020, can I bank them into 2021 for use then?

If I have points transferred into my account - let's say Aug 2021 UY points - can I borrow those into 2020, if say I made a reservation in April 2020?

If I transferred Dec 2020 points into my membership but then decide not to travel in 2020, can I bank them into 2021 for use then?
You can't borrow transferred points. You can't even see transferred points in your account. Only MS can see them. At the point you tried to make a reservation with borrowed transferred points, they would tell you that you don't have any points that you can use. Aug 2021 points would be good from Aug 1, 2021 through July 31, 2022.

With Dec 2020 points, they would be good for Dec 1, 2020 through Nov 30, 2021. If your trip was during that time frame, you wouldn't need to bank them. If you transferred Dec 2020 points, you wouldn't be able to use them for any trip before Dec 1, 2020. If you want to bank them, they would be good from Dec 1, 2021 through Nov 30, 2022.

Dec UYs can be tricky at times.

Edited to add: You can see transferred points on your dashboard now and you can use them to make a reservation or modify a reservation as of mid-Sept 2020. One good thing to happen in 2020 I guess.

Last edited:

You can't borrow transferred points. You can't even see transferred points in your account. Only MS can see them. At the point you tried to make a reservation with borrowed transferred points, they would tell you that you don't have any points that you can use. Aug 2021 points would be good from Aug 1, 2021 through July 31, 2022.

With Dec 2020 points, they would be good for Dec 1, 2020 through Nov 30, 2021. If your trip was during that time frame, you wouldn't need to bank them. If you transferred Dec 2020 points, you wouldn't be able to use them for any trip before Dec 1, 2020. If you want to bank them, they would be good from Dec 1, 2021 through Nov 30, 2022.

Do you at least get an email confirming the transfer of points after it's done? If it's only "visible" to MS, what if MS denies a transfer ever happening down the road?

LAX

Do you at least get an email confirming the transfer of points after it's done? If it's only "visible" to MS, what if MS denies a transfer ever happening down the road?

LAX

No, no emails.

LAX

There will be a transaction number given for the transfer, When I transferred in March, the CM confirmed they were showing in the other owners account for me,

I then provided the transaction number to them.

There will be a transaction number given for the transfer, When I transferred in March, the CM confirmed they were showing in the other owners account for me,

I then provided the transaction number to them.

Thanks. At least there is some form of proof of the transaction taking place. I am likely to try point transfer in the future with how the rental market is evolving.

LAX

Thanks. At least there is some form of proof of the transaction taking place. I am likely to try point transfer in the future with how the rental market is evolving.

LAX

Just remember, since the official rule is no money changes hands, DVC won’t get involved if there is an issue,

It still requires trust if you are the one getting the points!

Just remember, since the official rule is no money changes hands, DVC won’t get involved if there is an issue,

It still requires trust if you are the one getting the points!

I understand. It still beats sweating out whether another pandemic would hit if I were to rent them out instead!

LAX

It will be interesting to see if transferred points will be included in the count for the 50% limit, my guess is no

It will be interesting to see if transferred points will be included in the count for the 50% limit, my guess is no

No because one can only transfer current UY points, and can t be borrowed. So, the net effect of those points doesn’t change in terms of use, It just changes which member uses them,

I understand. It still beats sweating out whether another pandemic would hit if I were to rent them out instead!

LAX
Yup. That is my plan too!

We had a trip planned to start this coming Saturday (5/9). This was an anniversary trip and outside of our already planned use of points for a big family trip in Dec. We thought about renting points, but I decided I liked the idea of a transfer a whole lot more than renting. Something about having control over the points and the reservation. I was fortunate to find a Riviera owner on the rental/transfer board who was renting points and they were happy to transfer them. It was a simple transaction, and while I paid a tad more than I might have renting, I have full control of the points.

Obviously, that reservation isn't happening and canceling the reservation and banking the points was simple (although not quick since I had to call MS). Those points have a December UY (which I'm used to dealing with anyway with my Poly contract) so I had plenty of time to bank them into 2020, and we'll use them next May.

Really disappointed about not staying at Riviera next week, but I still have the points, have home advantage for Riviera for next year, and complete control over my trip.

I suspect will see an uptick in the popularity of transfers for the next few years.

Steve

No because one can only transfer current UY points, and can t be borrowed. So, the net effect of those points doesn’t change in terms of use, It just changes which member uses them,

This can be a potential workaround for those that need to borrow more than 50% of points for their vacation. The challenge obviously is finding a willing and trustworthy member that has the number of points and UY one needs.

LAX

Not anymore!. The new updates end of last week allow for transferred points to be used online,

I don’t think you can bank them or get them without the call, but they show up for use and modification.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter