• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

can you recommend a stroller for a 4 month old?

BevS97

disney scrapper
we are planning a trip to Orlando in December, and I am expecting a baby in August. The trip was actually planned before we knew about the baby, but we are comfortable with taking him/her and are all looking forward to it.

I will be using quite a big traditional pram at home, as the weather in the UK is wet and we walk a lot, but it's not going to be practical to drag that around Disney. So, I was thinking of picking up a stroller at Walmart or Toys R Us once we arrived.

Could anyone suggest something that would be suitable? It needs to lie completely flat, fold reasonably compactly, and I guess it will need a sunshade - I'm not sure what the weather will be like in December, I think it's supposed to be pretty changable.

We will also have a 6 year old, who will be expected to walk, but it would be handy if she could fit in it too because I wouldn't be surprised if she gets tired, and we could carry the baby for short periods and let her have a rest.

Any suggestions? I don't really know what strollers are available in the US, but I am thinking it will be cheaper to pick one up over there.

Bev

What kids of carseat will you have? If its one of those cariier types that baby trend makes a stroller frame for them. This is your best way to go with a baby that small, so you can bring the seat into resturaunts.

Otherwise, you can find one for about 40-50 dollars (30-40 pounds) by century or greco. they usually have a lightweight model that reclines fully has a big basket underneath and cup holders.

Also dont forget a carrier, so you can carry the baby onto rides and into shows and places you cant bring the stroller.

they do look very convenient, but over here we are being warned against leaving our infants in carseats for extended periods of time.

The recommendation is that they need to lie flat for longer periods, and I would imagine that we would be in each park for much longer than the hour or two which is considered 'acceptable' in a car seat.

really? go figure! you learn something new everyday.

i'm not good at the whole cut and paste links thing, but if you go to walmart.com or babiesrus.com, you can check out the strollers ahead of time. you might even be able to look into ordering it ahead of time and having it delivered to the resort, maybe.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. My recommendation would be to look at strollers in the UK before your trip. If you find one you like at a good price then buy it before you leave. Otherwise you could ask the store what the U.S. equivalent would be of the one you like. Try to have a 2nd and 3rd choice picked out as well. This way you can make sure it has the features you want. We have a Combi Savvy Z that is light weight, folds flat and fully reclines. Our 3 1/2 year old DD is still using it. I would highly recommend this but it doesn't come cheap.

LOL

Kate

I would also recommend looking for strollers in the UK before you come over. It will be much more convient to use the stroller in the airport. I remember when I flew out of Heathrow once, I was in the FARTHEST gate there!! When I checked in the British Airways employee even said, you better leave now, or you'll miss your flight!!! It really did take me about 30 minutes to get to that gate!!!! Anyway, as someone who lives in the UK, you can get Maclaren strollers for a litle cheaper than we can here in the States. I recommend you buy one of those. Yes, they can be expensive, but they do fully recline, and as your child gets older, it will be MUCH better to use that then the full size pram. Good luck to you and enjoy your holiday!

We Americans spend a fortune on the sort of light strollers that are all over the place in the UK. Maclarens are not a *little* more expensive here; they are considered a luxury brand, and are marked up nearly 300%. The very cheapest Maclarens cost nearly $200 here, and ranges like Kingswood or Cosatto are not sold in the US. (BTW, when you hear us talk about "Peg Perego", we mean the same range that you know as Mamas and Papas.)

Get yourself a good lie-back buggy with a raincover, and you will be good to go. (You'll want it later, anyway, when you realize that your big pram will be hell to transport on a bus or train.)

Have you looked at the selection at http://www.twoleftfeet.co.uk/acatalog/index.html or http://www.babycare-direct.co.uk/prams_and_pushchairs.html ?

Both of those sites have tons of reasonably priced lightweight lie-back buggies (I've ordered family gifts from both of them). You won't find anything nearly as good in the US for anything near those prices, and only the highest-priced nursery stockists here will carry any of those type at all. Happy hunting!

What are your plans for it when you leave the U.S. for home? We always rent strollers so we don't have to pack them. We found a company in Orlando that rents wonderful strollers. They deliver right to where ever you are staying before you arrive. It is great, one less thing I have to worry about, and they are always clean and in great condition. The name is A Baby's Best Friend and the web site is www.abbf.com

Have a great trip!:wave:

thanks for your opinions, there's plenty to ponder.

I am not a fan of Maclaren strollers for little babys as I think they aren't very well protected in them (although we do have a very basic non reclining one which we last used when my dd was 4 for our last disney trip which was superb).

I have been thinking about getting a Chicco 2002 as a backup stroller for in the car, or maybe a Graco style one. As a general rule, pushchairs in the USA are much cheaper than they are over here (although I conceed that Maclarens are way overpriced in the USA, something I have never understood, here they are a pretty reasonable or even budget choice)

Anyway, I have plenty of time to make a decision, so I will ponder some more.

Bev

I'm not sure how long it has been since you've been to the US, but I wanted to let you know that there has been a revolution in the US stroller market in the past 5 years or so. You may be remembering models that are no longer readily available. Also, do keep in mind that here, taxes are added on at purchase, so add ~ 8% to the US advertised price.

Six years ago, when I bought my first stroller, the big consideration for newborns was that the stroller handle should reverse so that baby could face the adult, and that it should recline flat. Not so anymore. Now the most important issues are cupholders for parents and accomodation of an infant carseat. The last US-model stroller with a reversible handle, the Graco Coachrider, was discontinued earlier this year, and even that one had only been sold as a "travel system" for the past 2 years.

As the trend has gone to almost requiring the carseat mount, the idea of the stroller itself lying flat has become less important. On most current models of US-made stroller, the definition of "flat" is between 130-145 degrees. I can't think of any US models that currently recline more than 150 degrees. The only new models available in the US that still offer the full lie-back and reversible handle option are imports, usually from either Peg Perego (aka Mamas & Papas), Chicco, or Aprica. The Peg Aria and Peg Venezia are the most popular of this design, because they are aluminum, and relatively light. (The Pliko suffers in popularity because the umbrella-type handles cannot support a parent tray.)

In recent years the only full-featured "light" models to come out from US domestic ranges are adaptations of the Combi design, such as the Graco CitiLight. (Personally, I don't like those for little babies because they do not have extended leg support.) Everything else has gotten progressively larger and heavier, which is not considered much of a problem here because Americans have been trending toward larger and heavier vehicles as well, which have trunks (boots) big enough to accomodate these large strollers. Be careful in that respect, UK cars are much smaller for the most part; you might well have trouble fitting an American stroller inside the boot of your car.

Originally posted by BevS97
thanks for your opinions, there's plenty to ponder.

I have been thinking about getting a Chicco 2002 as a backup stroller for in the car, or maybe a Graco style one. Bev

Go for the Chicco 2002! I have heard wonderful things about it. The quality is known to be superior to that of Graco. Check out the "Strollers" board at parentsplace.com for more suggestions. Good luck!

Jo

NotUrsula

It's interesting what you say about reversible handles - I had the Graco Coachrider with the reversible handle (or something very similiar) for my eldest daughter and absolutely hated it - I actually bought it in the USA although it was also available in the UK, as it was about half the price - hence my thinking I would do the same again.
I ended up getting a Chicco 2001 when she was 4 months old, which was brilliant but unfortunately broken by an airline about a year later.

I think logic is telling me I should get the 2002, as I was very happy with the 2001.

The 'big pram' that I mentioned, that we will get initially, is I think something you don't seem to have in the USA at all

Britax_hessian_tab.jpg

It has a carrycot on the top, which baby can also sleep in, and then later it changes over to a substantial pushchair. Since we actually live within walking distance of both my eldests school and the town center, we will use this a lot for walking from the house, but it isn't practical for in the car as it is too heavy, and it certainly wouldn't travel to WDW.

The style of stroller that you are talking about, with the carseat on the top, became extremely popular over here about 2 years ago, but they are starting to wane in popularity now because of concerns that babys shouldn't spend too much time in the carseats, and if they aren't in the carseat then baby is facing away from mum, which is a big downside for me.

Phew - this is turning into a complex stroller discussion - thanks for all your points of view.

Just wanted to say that this is a very interesting discussion, as I am a true stroller junkie!! I can not even tell you how many strollers I have bought over the years and now I have a new baby and one of the best things is that I can keep looking for the "holy grail" of strollers!!!

I think it is quite interesting that in the UK the issue is being raised that babies should not spend so much time in infant seats. I often thought the same thing. I was given one of the first travel systems almost 9 years ago for my first child and thought it was the greatest thing but now I cringe when I see my friends keeping their babies cooped up in that seat for hours in and out of the car! While the infant carrier stroller is very handy for some occaisions, I always had a stoller that could lay flat so she could strectch out. The problem always seems to be to find one that is light and small enough for travel.

I have a Combi that we use for travel but it does not lay completely flat. My Graco lightrider does lay flat, but I wish that the handle reversed. I had a peg perego Roma many years ago that I used at Disney. It was heavy, but we managed. I was more concerned about the babies comfort (she was 7 months at the time.)

Any way, good luck and let us know how everything works out!

... to do errands, outside of major cities. If suburbanites do walk, they do it for exercise, and they will usually use a 3-wheeler for that. In cities, strollers that can be taken on buses and into the subway are the most popular; which is why Maclarens, Peg Plikos and Combis are the best sellers in NYC, Chicago and San Francisco. Those city dwellers are more likely to use a sling or carrier than a stroller with a small child, though.

I'm a first-generation American; most of my family live in the UK. I pushed my dolls in a monster Silver Cross that came here by boat with my mother in 1951. I'm very familiar with the 2-in-1 and 3-in-1 pram designs sold in the UK, and while I agree that they are very comfy and versatile, they are just awkward to haul about. Generally speaking, if it cannot easily go into the boot of a car, it won't sell well in the US, though there are a few Anglophiles here who will import a Silver Cross just so that people will be impressed with the big British pram. Also, th majority of Americans are cheap about strollers, and will accept utterly abysmal quality, because they don't use them outdoors very often.

I recently had that reversible-handle discussion with a cousin of mine, and I agree that while that part of that design was good, just about everything else about it was awful, and the weight wasn't the half of it. The thing I hated most about the full-sized American designs from a few years back was how low to the ground they were. Now I hate the so-called "rugged look" that mandates lots of swoopy molded plastic body parts mated to big knobby tires, and capped with a dome-shaped hood; all of which make most new American strollers look and handle like tanks! Baby is hidden in there somewhere, but it's not easy to see where. The carseat on top is supposed to serve when baby is facing you, and there is a hood on that, too, of course.

I don't think that the advice not to use a carseat outside of the car will catch on in the US. The primary reason I have seen for that advice is the avoidance of flattening the back of a child's head. That particular subject is a sore one with doctors here, as it was long-held US doctrine to put babies to sleep on their tummies, and they are just now getting people to finally put them on their backs to help avoid SIDS. They won't even talk about the flat-head thing for fear that people will put children back on their tummies again. I did see that Jane is now marketing a carseat in the UK that opens out flat, but I don't expect such designs to be approved here for general use.

I actually own the closest thing to a pram that I know of that was made here recently, and I like it even though its practical uses are limited. Now that DS is too old for it I've loaned it to many friends, because it is a lifesaver with a colicky child. It is a Cosco Rock-n-Roller, which has a suspended cot that rocks as you walk. That said, though, it is absolutely impractical for travel, because it is huge, it is heavy, and it tends to come apart whilst folded (the cot comes off the mounts. It doesn't happen when it is open, though.) I've seen a few of them in use at WDW, but I have to assume that those people brought them in via a very large vehicle.

I think that you will like the new Chicco, which again, is cheaper in the UK than in the US. I have several cousins who are quite happy with theirs. I have a Pliko instead because I got it for half-nothing; I bought the floor model from a store that should never have offered Peg Perego in the first place; their clientele didn't have that kind of budget to spend. I do have a Chicco, though--a Fly3, which I like, but it is hard to handle with a heavier child. (Also, I like a 5-pt harness, as DS was an escape artist when he was small, & that one has a 3-pt. Americans don't make decent walking reins, either, but that is another topic.)

I put my buggy in a fabric tube when travelling, to protect it from airline handling abuses. I made the tube; it is water-resistant fabric in a bright yellow, with elastic at either end, and velcro down the seam. It has "BABY BUGGY -- HANDLE WITH CARE" stenciled onto it in nice large letters. The wheels and handles stick out from the ends so that it is easy to handle and roll down the ramps, but the tube prevents accidental opening in transit.
So far it has survived several transatlantic trips in that tube, so it seems effective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter