Canadian vs American Ketchup (yes, you read this correctly!)

alohamom

DIS Veteran
Hello fellow canuck Dis'ers! My dd really dislikes American ketchup, she finds it way too tangy and not as sweet as our Canadian version. We traditionally use only Heinz and most of the time I just pack a mid size bottle for when we travel. I got to thinking that perhaps there is an American brand other than Heinz that might be closer to our Canadian version. For example, Compliments is pretty close. Can any of you offer any first hand experience with this? LOL, weird, I know but just trying to lighten my suitcase for our next trip! Thanks in advnace for any suggestions!

Hello fellow canuck Dis'ers! My dd really dislikes American ketchup, she finds it way too tangy and not as sweet as our Canadian version. We traditionally use only Heinz and most of the time I just pack a mid size bottle for when we travel. I got to thinking that perhaps there is an American brand other than Heinz that might be closer to our Canadian version. For example, Compliments is pretty close. Can any of you offer any first hand experience with this? LOL, weird, I know but just trying to lighten my suitcase for our next trip! Thanks in advnace for any suggestions!

Start collecting little packets when you are at the mall or eat fast food. We do it for my father in law for ketchup and vinegar. This way you are only getting what you need and easier to carry in the parks.

My DH dislikes brown vinegar so whenever we go to a fast food place we pick up the little packets of white to bring with us, just like the PP said. I've never noticed a difference between the ketchup's to be honest. I do know that they offer Heinz Natural ketchup at some locations, maybe this would taste better to her?

As an American who now lives in Canada, and a great lover of ketchup, the answer is no. Nothing compares to the sweet, sweet tomato nectar that is Canadian Heinz.

Carry that bottle proudly.

(Side note, the Natural Heinz is actually even less sweet than the regular American Heinz. Not as smooth either.)

As an American who now lives in Canada, and a great lover of ketchup, the answer is no. Nothing compares to the sweet, sweet tomato nectar that is Canadian Heinz.

Carry that bottle proudly.

(Side note, the Natural Heinz is actually even less sweet than the regular American Heinz. Not as smooth either.)

LOL! Glad to hear it is not just my dd that loves Canadian Ketchup!

Since the closing of the Heinz plant that used to make ketchup in Leamington, Ontario, our household is boycotting all things Heinz. The "Canadian" ketchup you like is now made offshore somewhere. China? I make my own ketchup.

Start collecting little packets when you are at the mall or eat fast food. We do it for my father in law for ketchup and vinegar. This way you are only getting what you need and easier to carry in the parks.

I do this too. I end up traveling with a Ziploc full of condiment packets. I only do it when we are going to have a kitchen and do some cooking though.

I've never noticed any difference in the taste of the ketchup....so of course now I'll be checking it out the next time I'm in the USA. Remember the Pepsi Challenge? I'll be set up in the mall with ketchup packets and a blind fold.

I only notice the difference in taste of Coke in the states. Here in Canada they use cane sugar all the time where as in the states they use non hydrogenated corn syrup instead except apparently during jewish holidays because apparently it's not kosher.

Since the closing of the Heinz plant that used to make ketchup in Leamington, Ontario, our household is boycotting all things Heinz. The "Canadian" ketchup you like is now made offshore somewhere. China? I make my own ketchup.

Hear hear.
We now buy a Canadian made organic brand.

I agree with the ketchup packages, you won't have to worry about spoilage. Has she tried the US Ketchup lately? The taste has changed and is pretty close. My kids were the same way, and now that we shop in the States almost every week we pick up Ketchup wherever it's on sale, some weeks in the States and some weeks in Canada....nobody notices a difference anymore...just a thought for you!

This post made me chuckle! We just moved up here from the States about 8 months ago, and I am still adjusting to the Canadian ketchup taste! It is SOOOOO sweet, it almost tastes like jam to me! I'll have to add that to the list of things I need my mom to bring me when she visits ;)

For your trip, I love the idea of the packets. So much easier to keep a few in your bag vs. hauling around a bottle!

I must admit I've become a total convert to Canadian coke and Canadian chocolate. A Mars bar and a Milky Way are theoretically the same, but for some reason the Mars is so much better!

A little off topic, but Canadian and US Oreo's are different (Canadian is better) and so are the Kit Kat's. LOL

A little off topic, but Canadian and US Oreo's are different (Canadian is better) and so are the Kit Kat's. LOL

I once read a food blog that did a blind test and everybody chose the Canadian version as the best (which has been made in the same plant in Mtl for the last 100 years!). I plan on bringing ketchup and all-dressed chips to my American friend who never tasted those flavours as they don't exist in the US. And did you know that the Kinder Surprise eggs are illegal south the border? It's because of the toy inside.

I only notice the difference in taste of Coke in the states. Here in Canada they use cane sugar all the time where as in the states they use non hydrogenated corn syrup instead except apparently during jewish holidays because apparently it's not kosher.

Not true. Of the countries in North America, only Mexico Coke uses cane sugar exclusively to sweeten the coke.

Canadian Coke does not use Cane Sugar all the time in Canada. It uses a mix.
US ingredients list high fructose corn syrup or hfcs as the sweetener. Canadian version lists sugar/glucose-fructose as the sweetener. hfcs is called Glucose-Fructose in Canada. So, Canada appears to use a mix of regular sugar with hfcs.

If you buy a bottle of coke during the Passover Jewish holiday in Canada (that is labeled for Passover), you will see that the bottle only lists sugar as the sweetener alone.

How do I know all this? I was obsessed with finding cane sugar sweetened coke in Canada a few years ago. Turned out there was a mexican grocery store selling coke from Mexico - it was really really good (better for some reason than passover coke).

Not true. Of the countries in North America, only Mexico Coke uses cane sugar exclusively to sweeten the coke.

Canadian Coke does not use Cane Sugar all the time in Canada. It uses a mix.
US ingredients list high fructose corn syrup or hfcs as the sweetener. Canadian version lists sugar/glucose-fructose as the sweetener. hfcs is called Glucose-Fructose in Canada. So, Canada appears to use a mix of regular sugar with hfcs.

If you buy a bottle of coke during the Passover Jewish holiday in Canada (that is labeled for Passover), you will see that the bottle only lists sugar as the sweetener alone.

How do I know all this? I was obsessed with finding cane sugar sweetened coke in Canada a few years ago. Turned out there was a mexican grocery store selling coke from Mexico - it was really really good (better for some reason than passover coke).

This is why I get super excited when I see those elusive cases of Pepsi Throwback in my neighbourhood; the cane sugar just tastes better. Mexico has it right!

Today marks the last shift at the Heinz plant in Leamington Ontario. After today, when you buy Heinz ketchup or canned tomatoes, it's all foreign, produced in accordance with unknown standards, if any.

Every time we go to Disney we always forget that their Ceaser dressing is much different than in Canada. It's way more mayonnaise-ey and we can't stand it. I don't really notice a different in the Coke but maybe that's because we usually only drink it from the fountains which always tastes different anyways. I have to admit, I always buy a case of vanilla Coke when we are in the states because its harder to get here. I do know that my SIL devours ketchup chips when she comes for a visit because she moved to Georgia over 10 years ago and they don't have those flavors there.

Every time we go to Disney we always forget that their Ceaser dressing is much different than in Canada. It's way more mayonnaise-ey and we can't stand it. I don't really notice a different in the Coke but maybe that's because we usually only drink it from the fountains which always tastes different anyways. I have to admit, I always buy a case of vanilla Coke when we are in the states because its harder to get here. I do know that my SIL devours ketchup chips when she comes for a visit because she moved to Georgia over 10 years ago and they don't have those flavors there.

I totally get what you mean about the Ceasar dressing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter