***Can't keep us down...OFFICIAL MAY 2021 THREAD...come heck or high water we're going to WDW!!!***

We officially booked today!!! :cool1: Still waiting on the reservation confirmation with our number but I told my TA to pull the trigger after she found availability for our dates and had them place a courtesy hold, and I saw my credit card alert pop up a few minutes later with the charges. The best part is we only paid $400 for the deposit, 200 for each resort at the package deposit rate even though we booked room only. Looks like they are being very flexible about next year, because she also told us this new "package lite" setup they're doing for room only bookings is also much easier to add elements to later on.

My job is finally letting my team work from home again starting next week (we had to go to a satellite office to train temps for the last three days) and I am so excited to sit and listen to Sorcerer Radio and my Disney podcasts again while I work. Gods it feels good to have a trip officially booked. We really need a light at the end of this tunnel to look forward to. I'm just freaking out over planning for two whole weeks, we've never gone for so long before! :eek:

Hmmm. I wonder if my booking would be considered a "package lite" even though I booked in Feb. We don't plan to change to a package anyways, so I would guess doesn't matter?

We plan for 9 nights. I find it pretty easy actually. Since we have the time, we plan the big rides later in the trip so we have the best chance at getting a fast pass. Then just fill in the spaces! We pick a park or two each day (we have hoppers) until we hit every park with fast passes once and then start picking parks we want to see again and fill in the other days.

We aren't going to make too many ADRs this trip - just 3 or so must haves then just playing it by ear! Usually plenty of places available day of for 2 and we can always eat in lounges.

It's really nice to plan for longer because you don't feel as much pressure on fast pass day because you have plenty of days to fill in. And then I always find I'm able to switch around before the trip.
I will say I had this May's trip planned out perfectly before we decided to cancel. I'll have to look in my old May thread and see if I posted the plans because now I can't remember!
:)

When I booked my GDT reservation for May 2021, the CM was automatically booking it as a "package lite" but since I already have tickets and don't want a meal plan, I asked if he could make it a room only and he didn't seem to want to but he did. The difference is in the deposit you pay (and when it needs to be paid in full eventually). If you paid $200 deposit it is likely the package lite. If you paid more than that, it is likely room only.

When I booked my GDT reservation for May 2021, the CM was automatically booking it as a "package lite" but since I already have tickets and don't want a meal plan, I asked if he could make it a room only and he didn't seem to want to but he did. The difference is in the deposit you pay (and when it needs to be paid in full eventually). If you paid $200 deposit it is likely the package lite. If you paid more than that, it is likely room only.

Yes, I booked room only for sure. I was just wondering what package lite is - if it's just a different deposit amount then I don't care, I'd pay them the money eventually! :D

I found my old plans in my old thread!!! (although that was a trip down memory lane I don't want to do again!)
They were good, so I'm gonna stick to them, though who knows what it will be like next year.

Wow! I'm ahead of the game!
:rotfl:

I'm supposed to be planning a trip to DC in 3 weeks, but we all know that's not happening. I need something to look forward to, so I am getting ideas for WDW. Watched some Boardwalk resort tour videos. I think for arrival day we hope to fly in for about 3pm, so there's not a long wait to get into a room. Want to have dinner at Beaches and Cream and then rest up to RD the MK on our first park day.

I'm supposed to be planning a trip to DC in 3 weeks, but we all know that's not happening. I need something to look forward to, so I am getting ideas for WDW. Watched some Boardwalk resort tour videos. I think for arrival day we hope to fly in for about 3pm, so there's not a long wait to get into a room. Want to have dinner at Beaches and Cream and then rest up to RD the MK on our first park day.

I'm jealous. Our May 2020 trip was going to be a big splurge! Got an annual pass, booked Boardwalk with a Boardwalk view, my dream view! Then I had dental stuff happen, so we downgraded, they actually refunded my annual pass (awesome!) but booked Gran Destino so still happy, but then of course other stuff happened so we cancelled...but after 2021, we are saving up to get my Boardwalk view!!!

I'm jealous. Our May 2020 trip was going to be a big splurge! Got an annual pass, booked Boardwalk with a Boardwalk view, my dream view! Then I had dental stuff happen, so we downgraded, they actually refunded my annual pass (awesome!) but booked Gran Destino so still happy, but then of course other stuff happened so we cancelled...but after 2021, we are saving up to get my Boardwalk view!!!

We booked garden view after watching some videos. I want a guaranteed view. The only reason we are staying there is because we are using the funds from the 2 trips we have to cancel this year. My husband doesn't even want to know the price. lol

These new package lite setups for 2021 are functionally identical to the standard room only reservation though, the way my TA explained it. There is no obligation to add anything on later, it's just much easier to do so than the ticketless package setups they ran for people adding dining plans onto a room only. We never do packages because I always shop around the third party authorized sellers for my gf's tickets and I have an AP. So we still didn't buy tickets this time and were still only charged $200 deposit per resort. Considering GF RPC and Poly CL rack rate, there was no reason for us not to do it lol.

Yep the room only deposit made my eyes pop, but we used our state tax refund for it, so I am good with it. Still a lot!!!

These new package lite setups for 2021 are functionally identical to the standard room only reservation though, the way my TA explained it. There is no obligation to add anything on later, it's just much easier to do so than the ticketless package setups they ran for people adding dining plans onto a room only. We never do packages because I always shop around the third party authorized sellers for my gf's tickets and I have an AP. So we still didn't buy tickets this time and were still only charged $200 deposit per resort. Considering GF RPC and Poly CL rack rate, there was no reason for us not to do it lol.
I think the other difference too is that the full payment on the package is due 30 days prior and the room only is due upon check-in.

I remember following along with your saga and my heart broke for you. I'm glad things seem to be looking better though! I'm holding out hope that 2021 will be fantastic. Lord knows we all need it.

I really dig the Boardwalk area. I grew up staying at the Dolphin so it's where a lot of my childhood nostalgia is. Walking along there at night is so cool, even if I freaked out a little when I finally saw the infamous clown pool in person...mostly because it surprised me out of nowhere, I found the shortcut to cut through BWI walking back from HS one night last November. It snuck up on me. I may have squeaked.

We actually considered a Poly/YC split for a hot second, but the five year old princess in me wanted to be fancy at the GF so we chose the silly move next door split instead lol. Work was horrendous this past week and I really needed the boost. We had the character breakfast at Trattoria al Forno booked for this trip so I think next year we'll book it again and just make a day of it along the Boardwalk.

I remember following along with your saga and my heart broke for you. I'm glad things seem to be looking better though! I'm holding out hope that 2021 will be fantastic. Lord knows we all need it.

I really dig the Boardwalk area. I grew up staying at the Dolphin so it's where a lot of my childhood nostalgia is. Walking along there at night is so cool, even if I freaked out a little when I finally saw the infamous clown pool in person...mostly because it surprised me out of nowhere, I found the shortcut to cut through BWI walking back from HS one night last November. It snuck up on me. I may have squeaked.

We actually considered a Poly/YC split for a hot second, but the five year old princess in me wanted to be fancy at the GF so we chose the silly move next door split instead lol. Work was horrendous this past week and I really needed the boost. We had the character breakfast at Trattoria al Forno booked for this trip so I think next year we'll book it again and just make a day of it along the Boardwalk.

Thank you! 2019 was a very sad year for us and 2020 hasn't started out too great either! My 81 year old mom had to have emergency surgery in January and Walnut got sick!!! There went our money again! So far not impressed with 2020...come on 2021!!! 😂

I can't help but wonder if we will see any discounts next year. Feels like yes? I'm not sure how many people will be traveling rest of this year into next...

Last edited:
Thank you! 2019 was a very sad year for us and 2020 hasn't started out too great either! My 81 year old mom had to have emergency surgery in January and Walnut got sick!!! There went our money again! So far not impressed with 2020...come on 2021!!! 😂

I can't help but wonder if we will see any discounts next year. Feels like yes? I'm not sure how many people will be traveling rest of this year into next...

At least you've got a trip as a bright spot to look forward to? It's weird how much better I felt about my own crappy year once we actually got a trip on the books, even if it's far away.

I can't imagine we won't see discounts next year. Probably not on tickets but I can see more room discounts and promos. Back in the day discounts at Disney were unthinkable, then 9/11 happened and Free Dining became a thing. I think the economic fallout from this is going to be a lot worse than people think and they will be desperate to get folks back in the parks and resorts. Time will tell but I'm hopeful.

@kylenne - a bright spot for sure! I'm lucky, I'm a pretty positive person even in the worst of times, so we are back to saving money, trip planning, (buying shoes...shhh...) and waiting for summer. :)

So don't mind me everyone, I'm just pasting my old posts about my plans that got cancelled so I have them here for future. Reading them, I'll probably keep the same and only dates will change!

(old post, old dates)
5/6 - arrive, Disney Springs maybe, dinner at Toledo (staying at Gran Destino)
5/7 - MK early afternoon to close at 9. Skipping night show in favor of 8:45 reservation at Skipper Canteens. Missing the madness!
5/8 - AK early afternoon to close, eating somewhere there, who knows!
5/9 - Epcot late morning to afternoon, dinner 3 Bridges at resort, AK DAH
5/10 - relax – Epcot evening -Chefs De France for dinner
5/11 – DHS – maybe Crews Cup dinner, maybe Baseline Tap?
5/12 – AK late morning if we want, Epcot evening, dinner Via Napoli and Epcot EMH at night.
5/13 - MK later afternoon to close - EMH at night. Dinner???
5/14 - DHS and whatever else
5/15 - home to Walnut and plans to adopt two more kittens!

We plan to arrive at MK early afternoon (around 1 or noon), do 3 fast passes and whatever else. Then we can go to the new bar at Grand Floridian for a drink around 4 and relax with wine and a snack! Hopefully the walkway is open by May or we can just take the boat.
Spend an hour or so there just relaxing, then back to MK for evening rides and dinner.

@Farro Please eat at Crew's Cup!!! I ate dinner there one night when I stayed at BC and that was the best burger I've ever had on property. I would even put it up there with some of the best burgers I've ever had period. It was SO good. And the fries omg. Eat there, you definitely won't regret it!

btw I linked our reservation in MDX and I was curious to see exactly how it was listed on there, and lo and behold I see "21 Return Basic Package". Now I'm wondering if this was available to us because we qualified for the Free Dining offer for impacted 2020 guests and chose not to rebook for this year?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter