• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cape May Review Changes

Hopefully

DIS Veteran
I have been reading the 2004 edition Birnbaum's Guide. In past issues the Cape May Cafe was listed as the "Best Buy" and also as "Best Seafood". It has been replaced in both in the newest edition. We have PS for our up coming trip and I am wondering if the quality has changed? Has anyone been recently? Should we consider another restaurant? Thanks for your thoughts.

Unless you go every year, which we do you really have nothing to compare it to. So I would say if it is your first time you will probably enjoy it. Is it a good value, not really unless you stuff yourself silly with all they offer. Dh and I go every year, we send the 3 ds to beaches and cream. We noticed this year that they have cut way down on the desserts. No more lemon tarts, boo hoo. It also seems like the other offerings have changed to. This time they have prime rib and I found it was too well done and the chef cut it too thick for my liking. I am not one too much for the seafood. If it is your first time you might enjoy it, if you are going back again, you might be disappointed. I think they used to have something like ribs or pot roast etc. Lots of those things are gone. Also seems like they put tons of bread in the back where the desserts always used to be. They have moved the desserts way out front. The food is good though. (fresh and hot)

Cape May Buffet -

Hi. Hopefully,
We ate here for the first time this past July and all six of us enjoyed it very much. The food was excellent. both the sea and land varieties. Not having been before we can't compare the present dessert offerings, but thought they were abundant and delicious. The sevice was very good, too. We joined Goofy and friends here for breakfast one morning, which was also an excellent choice. Have a great trip!! Bob

We ate there last week during our trip. We went because my castmember cousin had a 50% off coupon and wanted seafood (my husband and I do not eat seafood).

The meal was $24.99, which included drinks. The service was fair (all the waiter had to do was bring us drinks, but we had to wait longer for this than was reasonable-- and the restauarant was not very busy)-- waiter was a pleasant fellow but did not seem to completely have his act together. We did not have a PS and were seated right away.

Decor was pleasant-- pretty typical of the Beach Club's theming. Atmosphere was extremely unpleasant for the first 20 minutes because of a small child *SCREAMING* constantly (literally constantly-- we were 10 tables away from these folks and could not converse at our table-- parents seemed oblivious-- later saw the same child running amok around the hotels grounds). After this child and his parents left, however, things quieted down and the ambience was your typically nice family restaurant.

Buffet had seafood (steamed clams was all I noticed, but there was far more), barbecued ribs, chicken, prime rib, sausage with peppers and onions, pasta du jour (appeared to have some sort of mushroom sauce on it), with sides of mashed potatoes, rice pilaf, green beans, pretty extensive salad bar, rolls and a few other things I cannot recall. The kids buffet had chicken fingers, what appeared to be bite-sized corn dogs, and pizza. Desserts included cheesecake, flan, cookies, chocolate cake, oreo bonbon, and a few other things (can't remember).

The prime rib and barbecued ribs were very good, with the prime rib cooked to a nice rosy color and the ribs being tender with an excellent BBQ sauce. The chicken and sausage were average. The mashed potatoes tasted fine but were very "loose." The rice pilaf and pasta were dried out-- pasta inedibly so, rice OK. I had one chicken finger and it was quite good! Salad bar had a nice selection and everything was fresh and crispy. Desserts were very good.

Overall, we were happy with the place, having paid only $12.50 each. We would not have considered going to this restauarant if we didn't have the discount, but I think I would have considered it a fair to good value even without the discount. I probably would not make a special trip to Cape May Buffet, but if I was staying at the Beach Club would likely eat there once during my trip.

I've been to this restuarant before and things were pretty much as I remember, so I am not sure what's up with the downgraded rating.

Beatnik

Hmmm Interesting....

I am not a buffet person, but my DBF is. I had this on the list for our upcoming trip. I also have a Disney-holic friend that speaks highly of Cape May as well. He admits he likes it because he and his room mates are big guys, and it is a great value. He also knows I am a food snob, but he still thinks I will like it for the "fun food" aspect.

Can anyone tell me when is a good time to Dine? For instance, I would think that rolling in there are say 3:00 in the afternoon or 10:00 at night would be bad since they buffet would be a bit worn. Any thoughts?

-Erica

As long as they keep the oreo bon bons, the desserts at Cape May will be just fine.

Erica the first seating is at 5:30. Not sure when the last seating is. I know because we kept missing our PS on our last trip. My parents went twice though and loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter