• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now it looks like I won't be considered fully vaccinated because I mixed vaccines, at the recommendation of my government. So I guess I will be looking to change my December cruise. Very frustrating. Things can change by then, but Royal has said it's ok, just Carnival with the rule you can mix Pfizer and Moderna but not two types, I have Astra Zeneca as first and Pfizer as second. I don't want to wait to the last minute and run into problems. Add in my son not being vaccinated because he turns 12 in December. We may have to figure something else out. ☹

Now it looks like I won't be considered fully vaccinated because I mixed vaccines, at the recommendation of my government. So I guess I will be looking to change my December cruise. Very frustrating. Things can change by then, but Royal has said it's ok, just Carnival with the rule you can mix Pfizer and Moderna but not two types, I have Astra Zeneca as first and Pfizer as second. I don't want to wait to the last minute and run into problems. Add in my son not being vaccinated because he turns 12 in December. We may have to figure something else out. ☹
Both of our shots are Astra Zeneca and I'm not sure if that is considered vaccinated in the US. I know it's not if we want to see a show on Broadway. Apparently the CDC hasn't approved AZ. We have a B2B on Royal in Oct/Nov, not sure what we will do about it yet.
So many 'if ands and buts' about the whole issue.

Both of our shots are Astra Zeneca and I'm not sure if that is considered vaccinated in the US. I know it's not if we want to see a show on Broadway. Apparently the CDC hasn't approved AZ. We have a B2B on Royal in Oct/Nov, not sure what we will do about it yet.

Totally. I believe RCL will consider you vaccinated though, they are accepting those approved by FDA or WHO I believe? It's just the mixing Carnival doesn't like, which RCL has also said is ok because they know countries are doing that. I'm trying to see if I can move mine to Dec 2023. Just not sure then if I want to be on Mardi Gras or Celebration by that point. I already have an RCL in March 22, Carnival in August 22 and then Carnival in April 2023. Probably too many vacations, but a lot to make up for.

Wow, that's so sad! Was he supposed to travel over today? I can't believe they had no idea he wouldn't be able to enter the US, but I admit I haven't been keeping much on international traveling news.

Yes, he was supposed to be flying to Miami and going to be sailing on Carnival Horizon this week-end.

Totally. I believe RCL will consider you vaccinated though, they are accepting those approved by FDA or WHO I believe? It's just the mixing Carnival doesn't like, which RCL has also said is ok because they know countries are doing that. I'm trying to see if I can move mine to Dec 2023. Just not sure then if I want to be on Mardi Gras or Celebration by that point. I already have an RCL in March 22, Carnival in August 22 and then Carnival in April 2023. Probably too many vacations, but a lot to make up for.

There is no such thing as « too many vacations ». ;)

Two shots of AZ is fine, the CDC recognizes it as a valid vaccine. Broadway has since backed down and will allow patrons who have gotten AZ. Dh and I are about to get our second shot today, first was AZ but today we are getting an mRNA. Hopefully these companies get things sorted out because Canada is NOT the only country to mix and match

Unless it has changed, everyone (including non-Havana guests) can use the Havana Pool past 7:00 PM?
I read that has changed and nobody except Havana guests can use the pool. I believe the bar is open until 7 for everybody. Let me go recheck that. I am excited to try Carnival nonetheless. I did want a newer ship and I just hear people rave about the food and the adult entertainment. They say there is always something to do.

Last edited:

I read that has changed and nobody except Havana guests can use the pool. I believe the bar is open until 7 for everybody. Let me go recheck that. I am excited to try Carnival nonetheless. I did want a newer ship and I just hear people rave about the food and the adult entertainment. They say there is always something to do.

You make me want to upgrade!

EDIT: Annnnnnd, it’s done. Havana inside cabins for us. LOL

Last edited:
Just saw in a Cruise Critic article that Carnival was allowing self-service buffets when they start back up. Drink machines and ice cream machines will be the same as well.

I don’t know if it’s a particularly smart choice? But I know we found out months ago that the virus didn’t really spread on surfaces, so maybe it’s not as big of a deal as I thought.

Oh fun! I did research and yes, that pool area is all for Havana staterooms now. I’ve has also read that it is usually empty though.

As soon as I read your comment and found info that confirmed that it was true, I checked if they still had Inside Cabins available for a reasonable price (they did!) and I upgraded right away… So, thank you!

Just saw in a Cruise Critic article that Carnival was allowing self-service buffets when they start back up. Drink machines and ice cream machines will be the same as well.

I don’t know if it’s a particularly smart choice? But I know we found out months ago that the virus didn’t really spread on surfaces, so maybe it’s not as big of a deal as I thought.

I liked the idea of having staff serving guests, reducing the risks of norovirus and influenza (during influenza season)… I guess I’ll bring Purell to the buffet. Lol

Looks like John Heald is able to get to Miami now, and will be on the first Horizon sailing.

Roll call might be nice. I have so many cruises planned I can't keep track lol.

Looks like John Heald is able to get to Miami now, and will be on the first Horizon sailing.

Roll call might be nice. I have so many cruises planned I can't keep track lol.

I'll try to work on it this week-end if people want to share their sailing dates. :)

Oh well... The prices were too good and we pulled the trigger. January 2023, Western Caribbean on Horizon for 397$/pp.

We have booked an interior cabin, mostly because Horizon has plenty of outdoor spaces and we will do excursions at all of the ports... And most likely lots of specialty dining so we'll invest a lot in entertainment.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that it is a 6 nights cruise.

Six nights, five nights... you can’t get a $397 rate for ONE night of a Disney cruise.

Sounds great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter