• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're home from my 2nd round on the Mardi Gras! Happy to answer any questions if anyone has any. :)

Just some quick thoughts:

Still a beautiful ship, but definitely more people. We heard 5400 passengers and she holds 6500. It absolutely felt more crowded than it did over Thanksgiving. I felt (as did many people we spoke with) that ships are increasing their guest capacity faster than their crew capacity. We especially noticed this in the beginning of the trip. For example, we got pizza late one night and no one was clearing tables (and y'all know how long the lines for pizza can get at night!). Dinner in the dining room on the first formal night and the Italian restaurant took 90 minutes for 2 of us. Drinks at bars took a little longer to get. We rarely saw our stateroom steward after the first day, which was extremely strange to us.
It seemed to get much better towards the middle and end of the cruise and I cannot blame the crew AT ALL. They were constantly hustling, cleaning, serving, etc. No complaints about the crew attitudes or service in the slightest. There just needs to be more of them. One woman we spoke to said "my one complaint is I want to be able to help the crew out more - such as having a location to put dirty dishes or just trash cans to throw away our own trash."

Food overall was wonderful. DH agreed. We ate in the dining room twice (both formal nights) and hit every other restaurant at least once. No complaints about the food. And I think I officially enjoy Big Chicken over Guy's Burgers now! :eek: The fries are amazing - get them! Also, pro tip: Java Blue has AWESOME breakfast sandwiches and lunch items that are complimentary. Take advantage!

Serenity deck and Fortune Teller Bar were still my favorite spaces. Spent a lot of time at both locations. FT bartenders are awesome and very talented.

My one real complaint about the layout of the ship - Center Stage is simply terrible IMO. I mentioned the strange layout on my previous quick review, and this just solidified it. I don't know who designed this space, but for the size and capacity of this ship, it is awful and I hope it can be reexamined on the Celebration and Jubilee. There are 3 main (fantastic!) shows held here during the week and I kid you not, if you want to see the early showing, good luck to you. That place was filled over an hour and a half prior to the 8:30 show, and the ship wasn't even at capacity. We only saw Voodoo Moon because we stood on the highest level off to the side on a walkway. The 10:30 shows fill as well, but you may get a little extra time to show up. The problem with the 10:30 shows is that the conflicted with other late night entertainment that we enjoy, like comedy. So that's my rant! I can share some photos, but I really need someone else to sail and see if I'm way off base about this!!

Overall, we still had a great cruise. DH was a little skeptical over the lack of atrium (I knew he would be - creature of habit!), and we both agreed that our next cruise will be on the Horizon to the Southern Caribbean, possibly next Jan/Feb. If anyone sees any deals going on, let me know because we'll book early. So much uncertainty with fuel prices and how that will affect travel right now.

Can't wait to start seeing y'alls reviews again!

Not Carnival related but I just booked a new cruise for 2023.

I have learned that Allure of the Seas would now be doing 3 and 4 nights from PC (with stops in Nassau and Coco Cay)… I was super disappointed to lose the 2021 cruise on Oasis OTS I had booked with friends... And my husband was super jealous.

Now, we’ll get to try an Oasis class ship together. :) I booked a 4 nights for November 2023.

I've tentatively started researching an Iceland cruise for 2023. Right now, I'm leaning towards Norwegian & Celebrity for an 11-12 day sailing. Both have some great itineraries. Feels crazy to look that far ahead, but then we can get an idea of budget and needed time off.

I really enjoyed planning out British Isles cruise a few years ago, so this will definitely scratch my itch to plan another big trip.

I've tentatively started researching an Iceland cruise for 2023. Right now, I'm leaning towards Norwegian & Celebrity for an 11-12 day sailing. Both have some great itineraries. Feels crazy to look that far ahead, but then we can get an idea of budget and needed time off.

I really enjoyed planning out British Isles cruise a few years ago, so this will definitely scratch my itch to plan another big trip.
What line did you sail with for the British Isles cruise? Europe is a bucket list item for me.

What line did you sail with for the British Isles cruise? Europe is a bucket list item for me.

We sailed on Disney for that one. It was a 7 day on the Magic. We really wanted to do the BI and try out DCL, so it was a bucket list cruise. The dates worked great for work time off. We had a great time, but if we did Europe again, I would book with another line. Europe was very port intensive, so if you don't NEED characters or Disney theming, I'd recommend doing your research and seeing what else is out there!

I would love to branch out from Carnival but the cost of other lines is prohibitive since we (I mostly) pay for 5 and we need 2 cabins.

Today we put on hold the 12 day Barcelona to Dover for May 2023. We booked 1 premium balcony and 1 inside at an all in cost including gratuities of $5600. No way we could get an itinerary like that on another line for even close to that price.

Everyone is excited to get back to Europe and we will be exploring mostly new places.

Good morning, guys!

I’ll try here again because I couldn’t get a clear answer on the FB group I went to.

For January 2023, we are going to stop in Cozumel. We’ve been to cozumel many times.

This time, we want to remain in the Puerta Maya cruise terminal.

Main criterias: No excursion. No cab/transportation. Only things that are walking distance from the ship.

Do you have any suggestions/recommendations other than having lunch or dinner at Pancho’s Backyard? (Which we plan to do).

We are looking for things to visit/great spots to take pictures/fun places to shop/fun drinks/great spots to hang out (with great ocean view).

Thanks in advance! :)

Not Carnival related but I just booked a new cruise for 2023.

I have learned that Allure of the Seas would now be doing 3 and 4 nights from PC (with stops in Nassau and Coco Cay)… I was super disappointed to lose the 2021 cruise on Oasis OTS I had booked with friends... And my husband was super jealous.

Now, we’ll get to try an Oasis class ship together. :) I booked a 4 nights for November 2023.
That is great news!!! My husband would love to do a 3-4 day in that class of ship. Have fun!

Good morning, guys!

I’ll try here again because I couldn’t get a clear answer on the FB group I went to.

For January 2023, we are going to stop in Cozumel. We’ve been to cozumel many times.

Main criterias: No excursion. No cab/transportation. Only things that are walking distance from the ship.

Do you have any suggestions/recommendations other than having lunch or dinner at Pancho’s Backyard? (Which we plan to do).

We are looking for things to visit/great spots to take pictures/fun places to shop/fun drinks/great spots to hang out (with great ocean view).

You are on Carnival? You would be walking distance from oh man.. there's a resort, it's AI you can buy a day pass for it, there are two actually. We did it just walking up. I didn't pay for the all inclusive and it was like $20 for each and came with 1 drink I think?

https://www.resortforaday.com/el-cid-la-ceiba-beach/

Good morning, guys!

I honestly can't help with that one! We've really only been to Mr. Sanchos & Chankanaab in Cozumel. Hopefully someone else has some suggestions!

I would love to branch out from Carnival but the cost of other lines is prohibitive since we (I mostly) pay for 5 and we need 2 cabins.

Today we put on hold the 12 day Barcelona to Dover for May 2023. We booked 1 premium balcony and 1 inside at an all in cost including gratuities of $5600. No way we could get an itinerary like that on another line for even close to that price.

Everyone is excited to get back to Europe and we will be exploring mostly new places.

I'm seeing the price differences too while doing Iceland research. NCL & Celebrity are coming out to be a bit more expensive overall, but there are trade offs. They're offering brand new ships (NCL Prima looks stunning!), a more inclusive experience and an overnight in Reykjavik. This is what I'm coming up with:

NCL Prima - 11 Days - Oceanview - Beverage Package/Dining/Wifi/Shore Excursion Credit: $6144.64
Celebrity Apex - 12 Days - Oceanview - Premium Beverage Package/Wifi/Gratuties/Shore Excursion Credit: $7309.86
Carnival Pride - 12 Days - Balcony - Gratuities - $100OBC - Beverage Package - $5829.76 (This is based on the beverage package being $52 pp per day + 18% gratuity)

As of right now, I'm leaning fully towards NCL. God only knows what DCL would be if they sailed itineraries like that! Our Alaskan cruise was a few thousand less on Carnival so we jumped on it. These differences probably aren't enough to get us there. And being 1.5 years away gives us plenty of time to budget.

We got a really great deal by booking under the 50% off birthday code. If prices were always that close I would go for another line. I looked at NCL 9 night cruise and 1 cabin was more than our total! Unless it’s just my mom and I we will probably be with Carnival until the kids have jobs and can pay their own way!

You are on Carnival? You would be walking distance from oh man.. there's a resort, it's AI you can buy a day pass for it, there are two actually. We did it just walking up. I didn't pay for the all inclusive and it was like $20 for each and came with 1 drink I think?

Oh interesting! I will look it up! Thank you!

I am thinking of travelling after Christmas this year, the school break goes to January 8th so we have a nice week after the 31st to actually travel. I am thinking of going to Universal for a few days and then a cruise. Narrowed it down to Carnival Magic 8 night to Aruba, Bonaire & Amber Cove or Carnival Mardi Gras 7 night to San Juan, Amber Cove & Grand Turk. We have been on the Magic before, it was a nice ship, great cruise. But we do have Horizon Booked for April 2023 to Aruba, Bonaire & Curacao so two of those would be the same in close timing. We also have Mardi Gras booked B2B in December 2023 so would be doing the same cruise again a year later. I'm pretty sure no matter what we do, we'll have fun.

Thoughts? Which would you choose? Mardi Gras, though a day shorter, would actually cost a bit more. Is the newer ship worth it?

I use to ONLY sail carnival I first started cruising in 2013…I sailed on the conquest, glory, liberty, ect. The last few times I noticed more than a few rowdy personnel on board I just didn’t care for it then…I go between royal Carribean and Norwegian I lean more towards Norwegian to be honest.

Just got back from Mardi Gras. We really, really enjoyed the ship. I will say that the first couple of days, we had really rough weather and you could feel the 5,800 people on the ship because no one was able to use the outside areas. I will say that got much better as the week went on and the weather improved. I will agree with a lot of what the poster above said about the ship. The food was great (we actually never ate in the MDR) and I agree, I think I like Big Chicken even more than Guy's (which is still great!). I will also say that if you get a chance, you need to try Emeril's Bistro. It is extra charge, but extremely reasonable (a large bowl of red beans and rice was $3).

One thing I will disagree with the prior poster was that we really enjoyed Center Stage. The shows there were all great, especially the circus themed show with songs from Greatest Showman and Pippen (BTW, one of the singers in that show is by far the best vocalist I have ever heard on a cruise ship) and Voodoo Moon. Also, we really enjoyed the Flying Scotsman as our CD. He is right up there with Jaime Dee as our favorite!

I use to ONLY sail carnival I first started cruising in 2013…I sailed on the conquest, glory, liberty, ect. The last few times I noticed more than a few rowdy personnel on board I just didn’t care for it then…I go between royal Carribean and Norwegian I lean more towards Norwegian to be honest.
What do you mean by rowdy personnel?

Just got back from Mardi Gras. We really, really enjoyed the ship. I will say that the first couple of days, we had really rough weather and you could feel the 5,800 people on the ship because no one was able to use the outside areas. I will say that got much better as the week went on and the weather improved. I will agree with a lot of what the poster above said about the ship. The food was great (we actually never ate in the MDR) and I agree, I think I like Big Chicken even more than Guy's (which is still great!). I will also say that if you get a chance, you need to try Emeril's Bistro. It is extra charge, but extremely reasonable (a large bowl of red beans and rice was $3).

One thing I will disagree with the prior poster was that we really enjoyed Center Stage. The shows there were all great, especially the circus themed show with songs from Greatest Showman and Pippen (BTW, one of the singers in that show is by far the best vocalist I have ever heard on a cruise ship) and Voodoo Moon. Also, we really enjoyed the Flying Scotsman as our CD. He is right up there with Jaime Dee as our favorite!

Im so glad you had a wonderful time and you had a good experience with Center Stage! I will 100% agree, the actual shows are fantastic. We loved Voodoo Moon and the quality of the performers were definitely steps above those we’d ever seen before. However, I still am not a fan of the layout of the space. I think the design could be so much better!

But I could definitely go for a Big Chicken sandwich right about now!!

Im so glad you had a wonderful time and you had a good experience with Center Stage! I will 100% agree, the actual shows are fantastic. We loved Voodoo Moon and the quality of the performers were definitely steps above those we’d ever seen before. However, I still am not a fan of the layout of the space. I think the design could be so much better!

But I could definitely go for a Big Chicken sandwich right about now!!
Yes, I could go for some Big Chicken as well. Man, was that good.

I will ask, because I am not sure when you sailed, were they doing two shows a night in Center Stage on your sailing? They were on ours and it really helped space things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter