• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cast members need your respect

manakin

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone,

I’m writing this as a reminder. Probably this has already been posted many Times and probably you don’t care, But after today I wanted to write it.

PLEASE, respect cast members.

As many knows, this morning Genie+ was down for some time before parks opened. Queues for guest services and for Experience teams (blue umbrellas in the parks) were long and everyone was clearly upset.
I went to guest relations to understand how to manage my family situation with genie+ and, first thing, as I always do, I simply said “hello, how are you?” With a big smile.
The cast member in front of me (she was a super kind, helpfull and sweet old lady) said to me “thank you, you’re the first person today asking me that, I appreciate it a lot”.

And then I saw it. Around me there were angry people, screaming, red in their faces and the worst attitudes I ever saw.

I know: you paid money to be there. You want everything to be perfect. You want the level of service you want. But that doesn’t give you the right to be rude. Especially when the situation is not Cast members fault.
They can and they will help you. But you have to respect them.

So please, pleeease, remember this. They know what you are experiencing and they want you to be comfortable in the parks.

Sorry for this long rant :)

In all that the OP wrote, that's what you took away from it? Maybe not the best choice of words, but the sentiment and the CM's response were the most important part.
Oh no, I also rolled my eyes all the way up in my head at someone thinking they need to take to the internet to tell people "not to be rude" as if A) It would never occur to us without his post and B) As if his post would change the attitude of anyone who DOES need to be told that.

Hey everyone,

I’m writing this as a reminder. Probably this has already been posted many Times and probably you don’t care, But after today I wanted to write it.

As many knows, this morning Genie+ was down for some time before parks opened. Queues for guest services and for Experience teams (blue umbrellas in the parks) were long and everyone was clearly upset.
I went to guest relations to understand how to manage my family situation with genie+ and, first thing, as I always do, I simply said “hello, how are you?” With a big smile.
The cast member in front of me (she was a super kind, helpfull and sweet old lady) said to me “thank you, you’re the first person today asking me that, I appreciate it a lot”.

And then I saw it. Around me there were angry people, screaming, red in their faces and the worst attitudes I ever saw.

I know: you paid money to be there. You want everything to be perfect. You want the level of service you want. But that doesn’t give you the right to be rude. Especially when the situation is not Cast members fault.

So please, pleeease, remember this. They know what you are experiencing and they want you to be comfortable in the parks.

old lady 🤦🏻‍♀️

Hey guys!
So, I’m really interested by the reactions. I appreciate the fact that someone understood my intentions while writing this post. If someone was offender or bothered, sorry :)
I’m happy to see that this online comunity is a good place and that no one would ever consider of behaving like what I exerienced this morning. I was really shocked and sad, and that’s why I felt to wrote this post.
I appreciate all the feeds above.
Just so you know, in italian (my first language) referring to a person as “anziana signora” (translated as I wrote) is a nice and respectful way to refer to someone. But I’m happy to have learned that is not the same in English (at least, not for everyone).
I hope everyone has a nice evening!

I sometimes say to greet a CM when I've a request, "Thank you so much for your service. Is it possible to <whatever I need>?"

Their faces light up or look immediately more relaxed. Everyone enjoys being appreciated for what has to be a tough job, handling guest needs and complaints, particularly when some major system isn't working.

Can't say that I've had to deal with GR face to face but maybe one time. That one time, even though I felt very put-off about the situation, I knew that this CM wasn't responsible so all I really did was explain our expectations and our disappointment at those expectations being unmet. We got a very reasonable and satisfactory resolution and he got a Cast Compliment on Twitter. Win/Win

Hey everyone,

Thank you for this post!

I was actually thinking about what all the cast members were having to put up with when I was reading about the system outage. I knew guest frustration was going to be very high. Rough morning for all

Hey everyone,

I'm glad you posted the reminder and suggestion; in this day and age people do indeed need a nudge to remember the humanity of others in every interaction, and yes, that includes all of us humans on Disboards lol. CM's get a lot of negative emotion directed at them that they don't deserve.

Many years spent in customer service, as an agent and as one who trained them, made me very sensitive to the treatment of CMs even beyond being raised to be kind to workers everywhere my family went on vacation. Everyone needs the reminder, when situations become stressful and emotions get the better of them.

I appreciate your post. I think it is helpful to remind people, and I think this is those situations where it's always "someone else" who is misbehaving. Even one of my friends, who is the sweetest person usually, shared about her husband losing his temper at a cast member about genie. She was making fun of her husband, but I couldn't help but to think of the poor cast member who had to deal with them.

I've had several CM friends tell me that some of the rudest are annual pass holders and DVC. And those people who behave badly probably don't think that they are the problem, either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter