Caution: Wait times low crowd days

I think what's throwing me as far as the theory that they're intentionally slow walking people through the lines... how does that benefit Disney? If they're trying to even out the crowds, why would they intentionally make it unappealing to go during the "down" times? Why would people take their kids out of school or risk freezing weather if they know it's going to be just as hard if not harder to get around the parks? And why would they want to entice more people to start going at time when they already know they don't have the capacity even going full tilt. And how does intentionally giving people a bad experience make sense when there are at least 3 other major theme parks less than an hour and a half away? (Universal, Busch Gardens, and Sea World) It would be one thing if they were the only game in town, but they're not. Maybe I just don't understand...it doesn't make sense to me.

Well for one thing, Disney is untouchable. No matter what they do, people come. They raise prices, the crowds are crazy busy, the food has gone downhill, reports of parks being dirty etc. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING they do will deter crowds. Sure some will be "one and done" type guests, but so many people are hooked and keep going and going and going no matter what they do. I see folks on these boards and IRL who go multiple times a year. It's like a drug.

Disney can do things like charge too much, give sub-par service and sub-par food, and people will smile and open their wallets, no price is too high it seems. And yes, I know that kind of stuff is subjective, some will eat a meal and declare it delicious, others can eat the same meal and say it's garbage, but I'm just using examples of things I have read on these boards. Same thing with service. Peoples opinions vary.

We still go because we still have fun, but when the day comes that it's not fun anymore, we will stop. The crowds are getting close to my breaking point. I think part of it is the "old timers" like me can remember when it truly was slow. I am talking years and years ago. We used to go in Feb and everything, and I mean everything was a walk on. We have photos of us on Main St. and there are about ten people there. Plenty of room to move around, no lines etc. You never waited more than about ten minutes for anything. That is a thing of the past, and it's great from a business point of view, but not so much from a guest perspective.

So many of the things people complain about are due to large crowds. Take food quality, when trying to feed such a massive amount of people, the quality is going to go down, it just is. Same with park cleanliness, it is hard for cleaning staff to keep up with the volume of people going in and out of the bathrooms, the parks etc. But it is the way Disney seems to be going, quantity over quality. And it seems clear they are trying to even out crowds so it's always busy.

I think what's throwing me as far as the theory that they're intentionally slow walking people through the lines... how does that benefit Disney? If they're trying to even out the crowds, why would they intentionally make it unappealing to go during the "down" times? Why would people take their kids out of school or risk freezing weather if they know it's going to be just as hard if not harder to get around the parks? And why would they want to entice more people to start going at time when they already know they don't have the capacity even going full tilt. And how does intentionally giving people a bad experience make sense when there are at least 3 other major theme parks less than an hour and a half away? (Universal, Busch Gardens, and Sea World) It would be one thing if they were the only game in town, but they're not. Maybe I just don't understand...it doesn't make sense to me.

I agree. I don't think this has anything to do with discouraging guests from going during slow times because the wait times will be the same no matter when you go. Disney has shown a pattern the last few years of doing the exact opposite - trying to encourage guests to spread out throughout the year by offering promos during traditionally slower times. Yet this strategy, if word were to get out to enough guests, would encourage the opposite. Why would Disney shoot themselves in the foot by discouraging guests to go during slow times while simultaneously encouraging them with promos?

No, I don't think this has anything to do with Disney trying to manipulate guests or crowd visits during certain times of the year. I suspect this all comes down to saving money on staffing - and lowering guest experience is just a by product which they hope will not be noticed by most visitors.

Traveling to WDW the last 17 years, a few times each year both during busy & historically slow times--never seen this before:

MK 4/29:

PP 45 min wait @ rope drop, not loading every vehicle, then switching to loading every vehicle, then back again.

POTC 30 min wait 1 hr until park closing. One sole cast member was counting off & assigning guests to boat rows, then he would push through guests in row one to open gates to let guests board & then close gates. Then he'd walk back to the main line & start assigning guests to rows again...

I'm I missing something? This seems bizarre.

I wouldn't recommend attending WDW during slower times if they aren't going to properly staff their rides!!!

I have only ever gone between about late May and mid-August; and have been told this about slower times of year before.

The idea of 'slower times' is of course a whole other explosive issue; but I've been told QS are often barely staffed, TS places have dining rooms closed off, ect.

Hopefully with the push for hiring 3,500 new Cast Members this issue may alleviate somewhat. Of course Disney has to actually hire them and put them on the schedule first...

Slowing/reducing ride capacity does benefit Disney- Justifies price increases, ask yourself- has all of the increases in rooms and tickets helped thin out the crowds? Answer is NO, Have they reduced the attendance or sold less tickets to ensure overcrowded times is a better experience? Answer is NO. Does charging for parking at the resorts thin the crowds down? Answer is NO- no matter how you rationalize-they are out to make MORE money, otherwise Disney would actually care about paying their cast members a decent wage. Disney will keep doing this until they sober up-when people no longer find value in a trip to Disney and don't go.

Slowing/reducing ride capacity does benefit Disney- Justifies price increases, ask yourself- has all of the increases in rooms and tickets helped thin out the crowds? Answer is NO, Have they reduced the attendance or sold less tickets to ensure overcrowded times is a better experience? Answer is NO. Does charging for parking at the resorts thin the crowds down? Answer is NO- no matter how you rationalize-they are out to make MORE money, otherwise Disney would actually care about paying their cast members a decent wage. Disney will keep doing this until they sober up-when people no longer find value in a trip to Disney and don't go.

And that's where it confuses me. People expect price increases year to year. That almost always has and will happen. And Disney could do that because they had a reputation of having a better experience than anyone else. If their clever plan is to give people a worse experience to justify accelerating price increases at a faster pace...Sony comes to mind. Sony overcharged for their electronics because they thought they could because of their name and prior reputation and they almost ruined their company doing it when other companies started making things like TV's cheaper and better.

I guess we'll see. It just seems like believing and acting like you're too big to fail has historically proven to be a fantastic way to do just that.

That will never happen though. No matter what Disney does, people still go. People justify everything. I have seen it multiple times on these boards. No matter the cost, the crowds, the decline in service, people smile happily and pay.

I appreciate long time visitors reporting their observations, they are valuable. On some platforms, testimonials and first hand reports are great ways to gather information, not the only way, but definitely of value.

That will never happen though. No matter what Disney does, people still go. People justify everything. I have seen it multiple times on these boards. No matter the cost, the crowds, the decline in service, people smile happily and pay.

You are correct-and Disney knows this. They don't want us repeat die-hards, we know the discounts and have researched how to make our trips more cost effective. They REALLY want the 1st timer (as many as they can get) who will think nothing but spending every dime they have one 1 trip.

You know why? Because even at its worst, WDW offers something better than anyplace else, and the complaints are pretty simplistic and small when it comes down to it. Lines are long? I remember pre FP when POC was always an hour, and even HM and IASW had lines at least that long. SM was 90 minutes during the summer. Long lines at amusement parks are nothing unusual. Crowds are big? Nothing a company can do to discourage people from coming except charge exponentially more, and that seems contrary to what people accuse them of being. Have to reserve things too far in advance? At least you get the chance to reserve some rides/restaurants without it being hit and miss. Didn't used to be able to do that. Not to mention rides that are well kept, a park that is cleaner than most city streets, fireworks and parades and chances for kids to meet the characters they see on their screens.

And as for cost? Tell me what recreation activity doesn't cost too much these days. Heck, my daughter has to pay 2 grand to play in the band next fall.

I think a lot of the complaints here are that it's not a better value, that there aren't tricks and plans that can circumvent the natural and normal experience. And that's true. But if you wonder why people keep coming, it's because WDW offers a unique experience they simply can't get anywhere else. I think it's unfair to blame Disney for doing that.

Last edited:
You know why? Because even at its worst, WDW offers something better than anyplace else, and the complaints are pretty simplistic and small when it comes down to it. Lines are long? I remember pre FP when POC was always an hour, and even HM and IASW had lines at least that long. SM was 90 minutes during the summer. Long lines at amusement parks are nothing unusual. Crowds are big? Nothing a company can do to discourage people from coming except charge exponentially more, and that seems Have to reserve things too far in advance? At least you get the chance to reserve some rides/restaurants without it being hit and miss. Didn't used to be able to do that. Not to mention rides that are well kept, a park that is cleaner than most city streets, fireworks and parades and chances for kids to meet the characters they see on their screens.

And as for cost? Tell me what recreation activity doesn't cost too much these days. Heck, my daughter has to pay 2 grand to play in the band next fall.

I think a lot of the complaints here are that it's not a better value, that there aren't tricks and plans that can circumvent the natural and normal experience. And that's true. But if you wonder why people keep coming, it's because WDW offers a unique experience they simply can't get anywhere else. I think it's unfair to blame Disney for doing that.

This is exactly my point.

Let's face it, nobody wants crowds, nobody likes waiting in line, nobody wants to pay top dollar for mediocre food, nobody wants to pay a huge price for a ticket and ride seven rides. But they do, and they will. Myself included. As I stated, when we stop having fun, we will stop going. I just don't have rose colored glasses on (not staying you do, just saying some do) I see the changes in level of service, I see the decline in food, I see the hordes of people due to the promotions and parties and discounts etc. I see the up charges etc. I still love Disney, but am frustrated at some of the changes. I stated earlier that the changes are great from a business point of view (a packed park, full hotels, full restaurants etc.), but not from a guest perspective. How many posts do we constantly see about people finding the lowest crowd times? Yes they offer a unique experience, nobody is debating that. Just that they seem to be going for quantity over quality. It's up to each guest to decide when enough is enough. Some are perfectly happy the way things are, and others see a decline, and still others see great improvements. And thats all okay.

Traveling to WDW the last 17 years, a few times each year both during busy & historically slow times--never seen this before:

MK 4/29:

PP 45 min wait @ rope drop, not loading every vehicle, then switching to loading every vehicle, then back again.

POTC 30 min wait 1 hr until park closing. One sole cast member was counting off & assigning guests to boat rows, then he would push through guests in row one to open gates to let guests board & then close gates. Then he'd walk back to the main line & start assigning guests to rows again...

I'm I missing something? This seems bizarre.

I wouldn't recommend attending WDW during slower times if they aren't going to properly staff their rides!!!

I'm pretty sure this is a "thing" now... El Cheapo Disney is trying to pad their pockets that few extra dollars by cutting staffing on slower days.

You are correct-and Disney knows this. They don't want us repeat die-hards, we know the discounts and have researched how to make our trips more cost effective. They REALLY want the 1st timer (as many as they can get) who will think nothing but spending every dime they have one 1 trip.
This. This is the truth.

Interesting ideas...thanks for the input.

DH just reminded of another odd occurrence same day, 4/29 @ MK. We always reserve PPO BOG to line up early for 7 dwarfs roller coaster. This time we got in line in same line up spot after breakfast, were walked at same time as usual to attraction queue, but something different happened compared to our usual experience--the CM who led the line through the queue kept stopping the line & waiting even though it was after 9:00AM...many in line shot him a dirty look & he just kept a devilish grin on his face the whole time, but kept on shuffling. We were in front line but didn't get on the ride prior to or even right at opening.

It was weird.

They were throttling lines all day long.

I was there the same time period as OP (4/29-5/4) and I did not witness any of those things. SM was running both tracks, no issues loading PoC (every boat as loaded and both sides were being used), BTMRR also loading on both sides. Even Dumbo was running both sides and there was NO ONE in line. I actually thought wait times were on the lower side and we were able to ride many rides standby. I'm not sure if we were in the parks different days and maybe that's the difference?

There's no doubt that Disney is short staffing and reducing capacity. It accomplishes two things: it makes slower times look and feel busier, and it saves them money during those slower times. Meanwhile, we all buy the story that there are no slow times anymore (I've done it too) because wait times don't go down and FPs and certain ADRs are still hard to get. I'm not buying it anymore. We've got one trip left (2020) and honestly that's not a done deal... and then we're done.

Wow. We were at MK on 4/29 and that was definitely not our experience. We had a 10 min wait at BTMR at 9:00 which in the past had been a walk on but Splash was down so, I think totally expected. They only had one side open but that would be expected at RD too. I don't expect Disney to have both sides open when the wait is 10 mins at opening. We rode Pirates at about 10:30 am and it was a 15 min wait. Maybe the issue with PotC in the evening was the fact that the ride was down for several hours in the afternoon. We saw people getting walked off it around 3. They said they had been stuck for half an hour. We had paper FPs for it were trying to use and it wasn't up yet at when we checked before dinner at 5:30. With that kind of down time the evening probably backed up with anytime FPs.

They had Space open on both sides by 9:30 am on 5/5. They had both sides of Pirates loading during the afternoon on 5/5.

i did not see any egregious capacity cutting on Disney's part but we also did a lot of FPs. We also felt like it was definitely not crowded but there were still a lot of people in the parks. I didn't look at the crowds on the pathways and then the wait times and feel they were disproportionally unbalanced. We had a great time and felt like we didn't wait much at all. But I did see a lot of late afternoon ride times of 1 hour with plentiful FPs for those same rides readily available on the app (yes I'm looking at you, TT) and wondered why people didn't even check.

There's no doubt that Disney is short staffing and reducing capacity. It accomplishes two things: it makes slower times look and feel busier, and it saves them money during those slower times. Meanwhile, we all buy the story that there are no slow times anymore (I've done it too) because wait times don't go down and FPs and certain ADRs are still hard to get. I'm not buying it anymore. We've got one trip left (2020) and honestly that's not a done deal... and then we're done.

Again, the numbers say a five percent reduction in capacity during the week, none during weekends/busy times. No evidence of significant staff reductions. No evidence that this is a policy any different than its been in past years. No reason at all -- none -- for them to purposely make slow times seem busier. That makes no logical sense in any manner other than plain cruelty. With the exceptions of the new TSL stuff, FoP and 7DMT, most FPs are fairly easy to get even on the same day.

If you don't think Disney's a value, then you don't think Disney's a value. But the things you are stating as fact are nothing more than board and DIS supposition, and many of that is disproven by other's experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter