CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
OPINION: at this point, the argument against taking the vaccine is striking me very much like arguments against wearing seatbelts:

"They are hard to get off if the car is on fire". "You can get hurt when they hit your chest". "I have a friend who got hurt by a seatbelt".

All absolutely true statements...but the statistics are still overwhelmingly in favor of their use contributing dramatically to your safety.

This will be the case with Covid vaccines. Someone will get sick from it. Someone will still get Covid after it's out. Somebody will know somebody who had a bad reaction.

But it will still ultimately be overwhelmingly beneficial in stopping Covid.

There’s no rule that says that “waiting” is going to exempt any one person from having a reaction to the vaccine, no matter when they get it. You can let the gunine pigs go first, and get yours later, but still have a reaction. Or vice-versa, you can be one of the first to get it and not have a reaction. It’s a crapshoot. Most common reaction is local irritation after shot. There will always be a minuscule risk of a more serious reaction with any vaccine, whenever it’s given.
If 1000 people get the vaccine and only 1 has severe reactions and 10 others have mild, that's one thing. But if 1000 people get the vaccine and 100 have severe reactions and 500 have mild, that's something else. Those of us who want to wait aren't doing so because we think it's going to exempt us from having reactions, but we want to make sure OTHERS (in a disproportionate amount) DON'T have the rection. That's basically what they're doing with Phase 3 trials, right? So those of us waiting are implementing our own Phase 4.

There’s no rule that says that “waiting” is going to exempt any one person from having a reaction to the vaccine, no matter when they get it. You can let the gunine pigs go first, and get yours later, but still have a reaction. Or vice-versa, you can be one of the first to get it and not have a reaction. It’s a crapshoot. Most common reaction is local irritation after shot. There will always be a minuscule risk of a more serious reaction with any vaccine, whenever it’s given.

Of course there will always be some risk, even minuscule, is anyone here saying that them waiting takes that risk away? No.

OPINION: at this point, the argument against taking the vaccine is striking me very much like arguments against wearing seatbelts:

"They are hard to get off if the car is on fire". "You can get hurt when they hit your chest". "I have a friend who got hurt by a seatbelt".

All absolutely true statements...but the statistics are still overwhelmingly in favor of their use contributing dramatically to your safety.

This will be the case with Covid vaccines. Someone will get sick from it. Someone will still get Covid after it's out. Somebody will know somebody who had a bad reaction.

I'm glad you acknowledge your entire post is an opinion. I wish you would accept that others have a difference of opinion. Don't get me wrong. I hope the vaccine works, is easy to get, and safe.
There are people who are afraid to fly even though flying is actually safer than driving. Should they be insulted for not doing something deemed "safe"?

Your words are telling. It's only an argument when one person is trying to convince someone else they are wrong.
Nobody is wrong for being part of the trial, nobody is wrong for getting it as soon as it's available and nobody is wrong for waiting.
Just stop.

That’s how I read it. YMMV

But who has said that here? I admit I could have passed over something as I'm pretty sure I haven't read every post.
What I have seen is pretty much people expressing their thoughts that they will wait a certain amount of time to see exactly what those risks are, because they feel a few months doesn't give enough to time to discover all the possible ones.

I'll take your laughing response as a deflection from answering then ::yes::

Last edited:
I'm glad you acknowledge your entire post is an opinion. I wish you would accept that others have a difference of opinion. Don't get me wrong. I hope the vaccine works, is easy to get, and safe.
There are people who are afraid to fly even though flying is actually safer than driving. Should they be insulted for not doing something deemed "safe"?

Of course they shouldn't be insulted. But it should certainly be acknowledged that they are statistically wrong.

Your words are telling. It's only an argument when one person is trying to convince someone else they are wrong.
Nobody is wrong for being part of the trial, nobody is wrong for getting it as soon as it's available and nobody is wrong for waiting.
Just stop.

Where do you get the "your words are telling" from? I'm not sure how to read that.

Just stop.
But there are posters who have belittled people planning on being early adopters by pointedly remarking that, given what "they" know, "they" wouldn't get a vaccine.

ford family

I explained it in my post that you quoted, it's pretty clear what I meant.

Your very first post on this thread was "I'll wait until phase 100".

For whatever reasons you have, you are wildly biased against any vaccine against Covid. I don't know why that is, but this isn't about me and my posts- you're just against this period.

But there are posters who have belittled people planning on being early adopters by pointedly remarking that, given what "they" know, "they" wouldn't get a vaccine.

ford family

I'd have to go back and read through the thread, or you could just provide examples

Your very first post on this thread was "I'll wait until phase 100".

For whatever reasons you have, you are wildly biased against any vaccine against Covid. I don't know why that is, but this isn't about me and my posts- you're just against this period.

I explained myself in post #48, which you actually responded too. You just didn't like what I said and see it as some kind of being against a COVID vaccine.
You my friend are very defensive about this COVID vaccine, it's crystal clear from your posts here. Nobody has said you were wrong so relax and stop trying to invalidate others to make yourself feel like you did the right thing by being part of the trial.

Just so you know I won't be responding to you further so feel free to have the last word.

I explained myself in post #48, which you actually responded too. You just didn't like what I said and see it as some kind of being against a COVID vaccine.
You my friend are very defensive about this COVID vaccine, it's crystal clear from your posts here. Nobody has said you were wrong so relax and stop trying to invalidate others to make yourself feel like you did the right thing by being part of the trial.

Okay. So you're not against this, we should just wait a minimum of twelve years?

My angle here is not about being in the study. My angle here is the same reason WHY I am in the study- to eliminate Covid from our daily lives as quickly as possible.

If 1000 people get the vaccine and only 1 has severe reactions and 10 others have mild, that's one thing. But if 1000 people get the vaccine and 100 have severe reactions and 500 have mild, that's something else. Those of us who want to wait aren't doing so because we think it's going to exempt us from having reactions, but we want to make sure OTHERS (in a disproportionate amount) DON'T have the rection. That's basically what they're doing with Phase 3 trials, right? So those of us waiting are implementing our own Phase 4.
If a vaccine had that large of a group of people with mild and severe reactions I'm not entirely certain it'd be the one pushed out. I know you're just playing with numbers but that would be 60% with perceptible reactions. That's really an opinion here.

However probably more salient to discuss is just what those reactions would be. Many people don't go into what is and isn't ok for them. They just simply say reactions or mild reactions. For instance would reddening at the injection site be something that someone says "nope", tenderness at the injection side, what about a feeling of your arm being heavy. A slight headache perhaps? an itchy feeling at the injection site? Maybe a brief but slight feeling of just not feeling the best? And so on and so on. These are side effects of some very well known but common vaccines. I vividly remember my arm being heavy and hurting for a few hours after my Tdap booster for instance.

I really don't care if people want to wait, I mean we do need X amount of people to get it, but still. I've said multiple times I get why people are waiting. However, I don't think the discussions go into enough details. They become so vague that people then question well when it is okay. I also think people hear mild reactions and say "stop right there nope" when often mild is used to describe redness at the injection site, tenderness, and more.

Well said, Mackenzie.

I agree that there should be no obligation legally for anyone to get vaccinated, but (if, of course, the vaccine proves safe), I would not be at all surprised if places of employment, sporting and concert venues, airlines, our beloved Disney, required a vaccine for admission. And I support their right to do that as much as I support anyone's right not to get vaccinated.

If a vaccine had that large of a group of people with mild and severe reactions I'm not entirely certain it'd be the one pushed out. I know you're just playing with numbers but that would be 60% with perceptible reactions. That's really an opinion here.

However probably more salient to discuss is just what those reactions would be. Many people don't go into what is and isn't ok for them. They just simply say reactions or mild reactions. For instance would reddening at the injection site be something that someone says "nope", tenderness at the injection side, what about a feeling of your arm being heavy. A slight headache perhaps? an itchy feeling at the injection site? Maybe a brief but slight feeling of just not feeling the best? And so on and so on. These are side effects of some very well known but common vaccines. I vividly remember my arm being heavy and hurting for a few hours after my Tdap booster for instance.

I really don't care if people want to wait, I mean we do need X amount of people to get it, but still. I've said multiple times I get why people are waiting. However, I don't think the discussions go into enough details. They become so vague that people then question well when it is okay. I also think people hear mild reactions and say "stop right there nope" when often mild is used to describe redness at the injection site, tenderness, and more.
Well, if you want to list all the mild, moderate, and severe possible reactions and ask people whether they're ok with them or not, feel free.

But who has said that here? I admit I could have passed over something as I'm pretty sure I haven't read every post.
What I have seen is pretty much people expressing their thoughts that they will wait a certain amount of time to see exactly what those risks are, because they feel a few months doesn't give enough to time to discover all the possible ones.

I'll take your laughing response as a deflection from answering then ::yes::
Not playing that game. If you want to go back through 18 pages and pick every post apart, be my guest. I know what I’ve read - here and elsewhere.

Okay. So you're not against this, we should just wait a minimum of twelve years?

My angle here is not about being in the study. My angle here is the same reason WHY I am in the study- to eliminate Covid from our daily lives as quickly as possible.
Hyperbole works sometimes. Not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter