CFS and Wheelchair Rentals

Daisybelle

I'm just happy to be here
We arrive this Saturday and will be in the parks for about 4 days. Since booking our trip last fall, we have found out that my daughter has CFS/ME; which was brought on by car accident a year and a half ago. Her energy is nowhere what it used to be and she deals with a lot of joint pain. We are both trying to go into this trip with reasonable expectations. Lots of rest breaks, shows, etc.

She's an otherwise fit 24 year old but I'm thinking I might introduce the idea of renting a wheelchair for part of the trip. I know she will balk at the idea, but I want her to enjoy her trip and not be stuck in bed from overdoing it.

I'm curious if others have dealt with a similar condition while touring the parks and what may have helped you or your family members, Did renting a wheelchair help your enjoyment of the day?

Any advice is welcome!

Three years ago, my VERY independent septuagenarian DW's knee got so bad (she finally had it replaced last fall) that we rented a wheelchair at the gate the last two days of our four-day trip. It was a godsend! Especially if you don't have to fight through crazy crowd, I would HIGHLY recommend it.

We arrive this Saturday and will be in the parks for about 4 days. Since booking our trip last fall, we have found out that my daughter has CFS/ME; which was brought on by car accident a year and a half ago. Her energy is nowhere what it used to be and she deals with a lot of joint pain. We are both trying to go into this trip with reasonable expectations. Lots of rest breaks, shows, etc.

She's an otherwise fit 24 year old but I'm thinking I might introduce the idea of renting a wheelchair for part of the trip. I know she will balk at the idea, but I want her to enjoy her trip and not be stuck in bed from overdoing it.

I'm curious if others have dealt with a similar condition while touring the parks and what may have helped you or your family members, Did renting a wheelchair help your enjoyment of the day?

Any advice is welcome!
My DIL developed a foot injury the first day of a trip. We got her a wheelchair for the rest of the trip. I was very glad my son (her husband) was there to push the wheelchair.

Due to her sensitive feet on future visits she has elected to rent an ECV. Makes it so much easier for everyone. Especially her, she doesn't have to rely on anyone with an ECV.

Go for a ECV - scooter instead of a wheelchair.

Enjoy your time in the parks. I arrive with DGD-22 and her BFF this Saturday too. We have six days at DLR this trip.
It will be nice to be in Sunny California. I'm tired of the cold Oregon Weather...

Geemo

My DIL developed a foot injury the first day of a trip. We got her a wheelchair for the rest of the trip. I was very glad my son (her husband) was there to push the wheelchair.

Due to her sensitive feet on future visits she has elected to rent an ECV. Makes it so much easier for everyone. Especially her, she doesn't have to rely on anyone with an ECV.

Go for a ECV - scooter instead of a wheelchair.

Enjoy your time in the parks. I arrive with DGD-22 and her BFF this Saturday too. We have six days at DLR this trip.
It will be nice to be in Sunny California. I'm tired of the cold Oregon Weather...

Geemo
I’m coming from Oregon too! And yes. Hoping for some sunshine on our trip. We’ll be there for 5 day.
Thank you for the suggestion!

I use an ECV in the parks to help prevent fatigue and as a safety measure if I suddenly become fatigued. It definitely helps me enjoy the parks for longer than I would be able to otherwise. For the most part, I mainly use it to move from one land/area of the park to the other, and then just park it and walk around. It's also extremely useful to have a guaranteed seat for parades, fireworks and other shows.

If your daughter is having a good day, someone else in your party could move it to the next area, so she doesn't feel tied to it all day, but it's very reassuring to have it there with you already should she suddenly need to rest. I suggest going with an ECV, as it also gives her the element of independence that she wouldn't have with a wheelchair. It'll also prevent others in your party from getting tired pushing a wheelchair all day. You never realize how many slopes and inclines there are in the parks until you're pushing a wheelchair.;)

Any advice is welcome!
Know the locations for First Aid in both parks (in DL: just off of Main Street, past the Little Red Wagon and the Baby Care Center, at the end of the cul de sac, opposite Plaza Inn; in DCA: just to the right of Chamber of Commerce on BVS) so that you can go there immediately when needed. No wasting time looking for a map or waiting to ask a CM for directions. All CMs at First Aid are RNs, super friendly, and very helpful. There are cots were your DD will be able to rest, decompress, etc. Make sure she stays hydrated! Even if the weather isn't super warm, it's surprising how dehydrating it can be to be outside most of the day in the parks. And being dehydrated can be very exhausting. Bring whatever snacks (protein bars?) that help keep her feeling stable and comfortable. And don't forget to make any special food requests on your TS reservations and to study the menus at CS locations to see what items will work best for her.

We get a wheelchair for my Mom every time now. She can do some of the walking, but it is just too much. Remember, just because she has it does not mean she has to sit in the wheelchair the whole time. My Mom often pushes the empty wheelchair. Gives her something to hold onto for balance and is creates a bit of a barrier around her so she is not knocked into (as much). And then she can sit and rest at any time as needed.

Know the locations for First Aid in both parks (in DL: just off of Main Street, past the Little Red Wagon and the Baby Care Center, at the end of the cul de sac, opposite Plaza Inn; in DCA: just to the right of Chamber of Commerce on BVS) so that you can go there immediately when needed. No wasting time looking for a map or waiting to ask a CM for directions. All CMs at First Aid are RNs, super friendly, and very helpful. There are cots were your DD will be able to rest, decompress, etc. Make sure she stays hydrated! Even if the weather isn't super warm, it's surprising how dehydrating it can be to be outside most of the day in the parks. And being dehydrated can be very exhausting. Bring whatever snacks (protein bars?) that help keep her feeling stable and comfortable. And don't forget to make any special food requests on your TS reservations and to study the menus at CS locations to see what items will work best for her.

These are awesome suggestions that I hadn't thought of. Thank you so much!!!

We get a wheelchair for my Mom every time now. She can do some of the walking, but it is just too much. Remember, just because she has it does not mean she has to sit in the wheelchair the whole time. My Mom often pushes the empty wheelchair. Gives her something to hold onto for balance and is creates a bit of a barrier around her so she is not knocked into (as much). And then she can sit and rest at any time as needed.

Good idea! Thank you so much!

Get an ECV and rent from offsite, I recommend Moving Mobility America, as they will rent for only one day cheaper than in the parks with a better device and will rent to locals, even deliver to a residence for a single day rental. Even if you end up renting a wheelchair, I would contact them as their equipment is in much better condition than the in park rentals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter