Change in DAS at Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be a way to reduce abuse of the system but would be unfair on the people with genuine disabilities to be separated from their family. Living with a disability on a day to day basis is bad enough without depriving them of being with their family on vacation. As per the original posters experience when applying for a DAS Pass, was told that the arrangement would be for the person with the disability to sit in a holding area until the family reach the front of the ride. This would be sole destroying and totally unfair to have them separated from their family in a holding area. Having a disability should be treated with respect not shoved aside and penalised for having a disability. If the current system is open to abuse then Disney should create a system that is fair for the disabled and weed out the scammers/abusers.
This is very true, but I do have to think the one size fits all approach doesn't work either. Prior to the current system, they had cards with stamps for various needs.

Now this became problematic as CMs ended up treating most of them like front of the line passes, but I think a mixture of the intention behind the old system and the current system would be the most ideal.

For example:
  • There was a stamp to avoid stairs, which meant the pass only worked where there were stairs, combine that with getting a return time at attractions with stairs. And yes, some people could handle stairs during an emergency, but not on a regular basis all day.
  • There was a stamp for those with visual impairments, which may have indicated to the CM that the person may need someone to guide them through a dark queue. Again, you would want to do a return time so that the CM doesn't need to be away for the entire length of the queue, just the alternate queue. It also let the CMs know that the person likely needed the front row or a specific row at shows, so they could be accommodated accordingly.
  • There was a stamp for those that needed alternate entrances, this would work just like the DAS does today.
  • They could have one for bathroom issues that would work differently according to the queue setup.
  • A stamp that allows the use of ADA viewing areas at parades, etc. without having a mobility device (Speaking of which, they really need ADA viewing areas at all parades, shows, fireworks, etc.)
The bottom line is by going back to the idea of different "stamps" (would likely be all digital today), the accommodations could be adjusted more to the needs of the individual and provided only where necessary, as many may not need accommodations at every attraction. Combining this approach with the return times should dramatically reduce abuse of the system.

Another alternative would be completely eliminate standby lines, provide return times with say 15-30 minute return windows, then offer larger windows for those with needs that may make such short return windows not workable. Of course this eliminates the revenue stream of Genie+.

I think the cries of "abuse" are overblown on the internet. When we go in person (admittedly only every year or two) I see very few people using the pass. I personally think its better to let a few "abusers" through than to discourage or block people who have legitimate need.

I think the cries of "abuse" are overblown on the internet. When we go in person (admittedly only every year or two) I see very few people using the pass. I personally think its better to let a few "abusers" through than to discourage or block people who have legitimate need.
I do agree overall, but I honestly think there is room for improvement that would actually provide better accommodations for more people and would have a side benefit of reducing the abuse, but the goal to me to to better assist everyone that needs assistance.

But back on track, we do all need to figure out what works for each of us with the system as it stands today.

I am genuinely sorry if my comments felt like gaslighting to anyone.

My 17 year old has UC (diagnosed at 14). She takes a boatload of medications (including biologics) to keep her in or close to remission. We are lucky that when she flares we can usually get it under control with medication adjustments over the short term.

I know that these disabilities aren’t fair. And that they aren’t easy to live with. As her mom I lose sleep over her health and the challenges she faces and will face her whole life.

I am genuinely curious what would be the ideal accommodation for people who have urgent bathroom issues. Because we know that the urgency can come on with little warning. If you are boarding a ride, what’s the solution ? If you are on a ride? And I do understand that just the anxiety over a possible issue can make it worse / my daughter has the same issue. It’s a vicious cycle.

I wish that there was something that could make people not have to deal with these issues. But a theme park cannot possibly make this better or fair. Because it’s never going to be fair. So looking for “fair” just isn’t a realistic attitude to have.

And if everyone who would possibly need some kind of accommodation has a different suggestion for their ideal, may I gently suggest that it’s just not feasible to personalize accommodations in this case. In a workplace or classroom? Of course. But in theme park with millions of visitors a year? Logistically it just doesn’t make sense.

I do wish you all the best and hope your visits to Disney are enjoyable, no matter the circumstances of your health.

Not all bathroom issues are the same even under the same diagnosis umbrella, think more like a spectrum. I've had UC for 20 years and every flare can be different. I can start a vacation in remission and end in a major flare. For me there is no rescue med, once a flare stars I require medical intervention to end it.
For me a flare starts with stomach pain and progresses to an urgent need to us the bathroom. At my worse I can need to use the bathroom 20+ times a day. If I'm lucky I might only need to use the bathroom 5-6 times a day. I have found that movement makes the urgent needs more frequent so a wheelchair can help, but then I need someone to push me.
One thing that isn't being talked about is the mental aspect of having urgent bathroom needs. As soon as my stomach starts hurting, the anxiety starts. Can I wait in this line or will I need to leave? If I leave can I make it to the bathroom in time and will there be a line at the bathroom. Because I look healthy, it is hard to get people to let you skip the line. If I have to find an CM to get a bathroom pass that adds more stress because it adds time to getting to the bathroom, not mention the embarrassment of having to tell multiple CMs a day of my bathroom issues.
For me a waiting in a separate area, with my family wouldn't lessen the urgent need to use the bathroom. But it would help lessen the anxiety related to the flare and one of my main triggers is stress/anxiety.
My dad is similar, but not as severe. Someone said earlier they would not be a theme park at all if there was a flare. My dad's starts randomly with no presymptoms. He can wake up fine and by 11 am be a wreck. He is often in the bathroom for 40-60 minutes at a time. But he does have a rescue med, and within about 3-4 hours is okay. Not great, but okay. I don't know that DAS would even help him, I'm more just upset with the gatekeeping in this thread about how alll bathroom issues are this or that and so this or that won't help.

The point of DAS not being diagnosis based is that it's based on individual need. Bathroom issues are so variable and individual that I don't see how they think a one sizes fits all pass works, as evidenced in this thread, when they already have a program in place for guests based on individual situational needs.

This is very true, but I do have to think the one size fits all approach doesn't work either. Prior to the current system, they had cards with stamps for various needs.

Now this became problematic as CMs ended up treating most of them like front of the line passes, but I think a mixture of the intention behind the old system and the current system would be the most ideal.

For example:
  • There was a stamp to avoid stairs, which meant the pass only worked where there were stairs, combine that with getting a return time at attractions with stairs. And yes, some people could handle stairs during an emergency, but not on a regular basis all day.
  • There was a stamp for those with visual impairments, which may have indicated to the CM that the person may need someone to guide them through a dark queue. Again, you would want to do a return time so that the CM doesn't need to be away for the entire length of the queue, just the alternate queue. It also let the CMs know that the person likely needed the front row or a specific row at shows, so they could be accommodated accordingly.
  • There was a stamp for those that needed alternate entrances, this would work just like the DAS does today.
  • They could have one for bathroom issues that would work differently according to the queue setup.
  • A stamp that allows the use of ADA viewing areas at parades, etc. without having a mobility device (Speaking of which, they really need ADA viewing areas at all parades, shows, fireworks, etc.)
The bottom line is by going back to the idea of different "stamps" (would likely be all digital today), the accommodations could be adjusted more to the needs of the individual and provided only where necessary, as many may not need accommodations at every attraction. Combining this approach with the return times should dramatically reduce abuse of the system.

Another alternative would be completely eliminate standby lines, provide return times with say 15-30 minute return windows, then offer larger windows for those with needs that may make such short return windows not workable. Of course this eliminates the revenue stream of Genie+.
I have a deaf family member. There was even a stamp for Deaf guests so that they could have accommodations since, ya know, they literally cannot hear the safety rules.

My dad is similar, but not as severe. Someone said earlier they would not be a theme park at all if there was a flare. My dad's starts randomly with no presymptoms. He can wake up fine and by 11 am be a wreck. He is often in the bathroom for 40-60 minutes at a time. But he does have a rescue med, and within about 3-4 hours is okay. Not great, but okay. I don't know that DAS would even help him, I'm more just upset with the gatekeeping in this thread about how alll bathroom issues are this or that and so this or that won't help.

The point of DAS not being diagnosis based is that it's based on individual need. Bathroom issues are so variable and individual that I don't see how they think a one sizes fits all pass works, as evidenced in this thread, when they already have a program in place for guests based on individual situational needs.
I was the person who said that my daughter wouldn’t be in a theme park if she was in a flare. And that’s definitely true for her. She gets not only the digestive symptoms but her fatigue can be debilitating as well.

I wasn’t trying to gatekeep bathroom issues. I was trying to point out that so many individual needs are just impossible for a theme park to attend to. So they do the best they can.

My 17 year old has UC (diagnosed at 14). She takes a boatload of medications (including biologics) to keep her in or close to remission. We are lucky that when she flares we can usually get it under control with medication adjustments over the short term.

I know that these disabilities aren’t fair. And that they aren’t easy to live with. As her mom I lose sleep over her health and the challenges she faces and will face her whole life.

I am genuinely curious what would be the ideal accommodation for people who have urgent bathroom issues. Because we know that the urgency can come on with little warning. If you are boarding a ride, what’s the solution ? If you are on a ride? And I do understand that just the anxiety over a possible issue can make it worse / my daughter has the same issue. It’s a vicious cycle.

I wish that there was something that could make people not have to deal with these issues. But a theme park cannot possibly make this better or fair. Because it’s never going to be fair. So looking for “fair” just isn’t a realistic attitude to have.

And if everyone who would possibly need some kind of accommodation has a different suggestion for their ideal, may I gently suggest that it’s just not feasible to personalize accommodations in this case. In a workplace or classroom? Of lcourse. But in theme park with millions of visitors a year? Logistically it just doesn’t make sense.

I do wish you all the best and hope your visits to Disney are enjoyable, no matter the circumstances of your health.

I agree there is no perfect accommodation. I'm sure there are lots of people who are or have relatives on the autism spectrum that feel the DAS isn't fair to them. What I have issue with is splitting some families up. If I was to get the DAS for my son, who is on the autism spectrum, we are allowed to all wait together for a ride. But if I were to get a bathroom pass for me, we are no longer worthy of being together. That is where the issue lies, for me. As previously stated no one needs everyone in their group to wait with them, it is a courtesy. So why am I not worthy of the same courtesy, just because mine is a bathroom issue? If there is a 90 min wait for the ride, most of the time I would be able to be with my family for most of it.
Unfortunately for UC there is no good answer even with DAS you still run the risk of having an issue on the ride. I know some people use adult diapers to deal with that issue.

I agree there is no perfect accommodation. I'm sure there are lots of people who are or have relatives on the autism spectrum that feel the DAS isn't fair to them. What I have issue with is splitting some families up. If I was to get the DAS for my son, who is on the autism spectrum, we are allowed to all wait together for a ride. But if I were to get a bathroom pass for me, we are no longer worthy of being together. That is where the issue lies, for me. As previously stated no one needs everyone in their group to wait with them, it is a courtesy. So why am I not worthy of the same courtesy, just because mine is a bathroom issue? If there is a 90 min wait for the ride, most of the time I would be able to be with my family for most of it.
Unfortunately for UC there is no good answer even with DAS you still run the risk of having an issue on the ride. I know some people use adult diapers to deal with that issue.
Ok, but does your family go into the bathroom with you? The only moment where you are split up is when the person that needs the bathrooms leaves the line to go to the bathroom. And then they join the family again. That's all there is to it. I still don't understand why there is a belief that ppl with a bathroom pass would be separated from their party.

I’m sorry that this whole thing makes you feel that way. Of course you are worthy of any courtesy. 💕

My daughter with UC would be relieved to be able to leave and come back because she hates the idea of people waiting for her or being inconvenienced by her condition. Even though of course we don’t feel that way.

These things are so emotionally charged it’s easy to forget that there are real people behind the labels.

Ok, but does your family go into the bathroom with you? The only moment where you are split up is when the person that needs the bathrooms leaves the line to go to the bathroom. And then they join the family again. That's all there is to it. I still don't understand why there is a belief that ppl with a bathroom pass would be separated from their party.
From reading the thread my understanding is that I leave the line and then rejoin my family on the boarding platform, not in the line. So if there is a 60 min wait and I leave the line after 15 min. I am now waiting by myself for about 35 min. Where if I were to get a DAS for my son we could spend the whole 60 min together minus a possible bathroom break.

And if everyone who would possibly need some kind of accommodation has a different suggestion for their ideal, may I gently suggest that it’s just not feasible to personalize accommodations in this case. In a workplace or classroom? Of course. But in theme park with millions of visitors a year? Logistically it just doesn’t make sense.

For DH, he has been able to manage by going before returning and the going through the shorter return queue. Is it perfect? No, but it did the trick. The problem is with his ECV, he can't readily leave most queues, otherwise the current system would likely work fine for him.

From reading the thread my understanding is that I leave the line and then rejoin my family on the boarding platform, not in the line. So if there is a 60 min wait and I leave the line after 15 min. I am now waiting by myself for about 35 min. Where if I were to get a DAS for my son we could spend the whole 60 min together minus a possible bathroom break.
Is it 35min tho? A poster mentioned they can spend 40-60 min in the bathroom.

I'm gonna do the math to try to explain where I'm at. Let's say the person than needs the bathroom leaves after those 15min, 45 min wait remaining. It will take them a minimum of 5 minutes to reach the closest bathroom, so that's another 5 coming back. 35 minutes remaining of the line, 10 min in the bathroom as in your example. 25 min remaining of the line. Assuming it takes 5 min for the cast member to bring the person to the platform. 20 minutes waiting. This is of course hoping for the best that a bathroom is accessed after those 5 minutes and there is no line to enter. If there is a 5 minute line to enter, that's 15 min.

15 minutes waiting on the platform for a 60 min line. How many 60 min lines are there at DLR? Right this instant there are 2 (RoTR & Roger Rabbit), even during peak times there are like 6 rides that will reach a 60 min wait. I am more inclined to think that the ppl that will be waiting on the platform is the party of the person that needs the bathroom pass. :confused3

I am not trying to minimize the disability, I agree that the bathroom pass might not work for everyone like for folks like the above poster's husband that need an ECV. But this is why cast members ask about why waiting in line is difficult. I am 100% sure that there will be alternatives for them or even something that works better. Unfortunately as someone else in the thread said, there is no one fits all solution and sometimes you just gotta work with what's available because expecting a per person perfect solution is just not realistic.

I can only speak towards WDW but my CM friend has said quite the opposite (they have worked on transportation and a few different attractions).

We discussed how it was just in general before Genie+/ILL came around when everything was just standby and this is what they had to say "That’s why I was loving it when we had no fastpass. The line kept moving. The issue is we really got to notice how much DAS was being used when probably some people didn’t need it."

Then I asked "Are you still noticing more than average/what you'd expect utilizing DAS after Genie+/ILL was introduced?" and they responded with "Yeah"

And that CM is well aware of people who have disabilities and yet may not really show it so they were not saying that to judge people (several of their friends have things going on) but I think perhaps in this case Disney may be trying to test this on something perceived to be less of an overall issue. I say perceived in bold for a reason. Historically Disney doesn't usually change policies unless they find themselves really needing to, most of the time it seems like they are fine letting some guest dissatisfaction occur until the issue reaches a certain point.

For me a flare starts with stomach pain and progresses to an urgent need to us the bathroom. At my worse I can need to use the bathroom 20+ times a day. If I'm lucky I might only need to use the bathroom 5-6 times a day.
What did you do before when you had DAS and had a bathroom issue such that you needed to go 20 times a day? What about this new testing is different than what you would do before?

FWIW I have zero issues presently and still go to the bathroom more than 5-6 times a day when at Disney. Mine is almost always related to drinking a ton of water and yeah sometimes the urge comes on right when I'm about to get onto an attraction. The difference between me and someone else with a disability is I can hold it although women around the world suffer from bladder issues for one reason or another and don't get it qualified as disability.

And lest someone think I'm unfamiliar with issues when I was a pre-teen I suffered from IBS for several years and had to do mineral oil for a while...I count myself lucky that I was able to resolve that okay because mineral oil is awful to deal with (and embarrassing when discussing leakage) but I mention that to say I understand how some things on a certain level can be different for people.

What did you do before when you had DAS and had a bathroom issue such that you needed to go 20 times a day? What about this new testing is different than what you would do before?

FWIW I have zero issues presently and still go to the bathroom more than 5-6 times a day when at Disney. Mine is almost always related to drinking a ton of water and yeah sometimes the urge comes on right when I'm about to get onto an attraction. The difference between me and someone else with a disability is I can hold it although women around the world suffer from bladder issues for one reason or another and don't get it qualified as disability.

And lest someone think I'm unfamiliar with issues when I was a pre-teen I suffered from IBS for several years and had to do mineral oil for a while...I count myself lucky that I was able to resolve that okay because mineral oil is awful to deal with (and embarrassing when discussing leakage) but I mention that to say I understand how some things on a certain level can be different for people.
Honestly I've never used a DAS for my UC, but the idea that I would be separated from my family for that issue but not be separated if I got one for my son's autism feels wrong.
If I'm flaring to the point I'm going 20+ times a day I'm not in the park. I wouldn't be leaving my trailer. That was more of an example of how bad things can get.
Going 5-6 times a day is miserable and there is no holding it, is a matter of praying I make it to the bathroom in time. It also zaps all my energy because nothing I eat or drink stays in. I've been blessed to not have a bad flare at Disney and have managed without assistance. But as time passes I'm spending less time in remission and more time in flare status, so chances are it will be an issue in the future.

I can only speak towards WDW but my CM friend has said quite the opposite (they have worked on transportation and a few different attractions).

We discussed how it was just in general before Genie+/ILL came around when everything was just standby and this is what they had to say "That’s why I was loving it when we had no fastpass. The line kept moving. The issue is we really got to notice how much DAS was being used when probably some people didn’t need it."

Then I asked "Are you still noticing more than average/what you'd expect utilizing DAS after Genie+/ILL was introduced?" and they responded with "Yeah"

And that CM is well aware of people who have disabilities and yet may not really show it so they were not saying that to judge people (several of their friends have things going on) but I think perhaps in this case Disney may be trying to test this on something perceived to be less of an overall issue. I say perceived in bold for a reason. Historically Disney doesn't usually change policies unless they find themselves really needing to, most of the time it seems like they are fine letting some guest dissatisfaction occur until the issue reaches a certain point.
This actually makes sense that more people are using DAS with Genie+ than they did before, as I said with DH and MaxPass (and to a lesser extent FP+), there would be many visits he wouldn't even get a DAS, as he could do the same ride multiple times with those services. He can't do that with Genie+/Lightning Lane and doesn't do all the attractions, which means he needs the DAS more often.

We were at WDW when there was no FP+ and accessed the queues using DAS. While the lines were moving, the waits were still over 45 minutes for the main attractions. Some were still over an hour long. Not sure what your CM friend was trying to say?

Is it 35min tho? A poster mentioned they can spend 40-60 min in the bathroom.

I'm gonna do the math to try to explain where I'm at. Let's say the person than needs the bathroom leaves after those 15min, 45 min wait remaining. It will take them a minimum of 5 minutes to reach the closest bathroom, so that's another 5 coming back. 35 minutes remaining of the line, 10 min in the bathroom as in your example. 25 min remaining of the line. Assuming it takes 5 min for the cast member to bring the person to the platform. 20 minutes waiting. This is of course hoping for the best that a bathroom is accessed after those 5 minutes and there is no line to enter. If there is a 5 minute line to enter, that's 15 min.

15 minutes waiting on the platform for a 60 min line. How many 60 min lines are there at DLR? Right this instant there are 2 (RoTR & Roger Rabbit), even during peak times there are like 6 rides that will reach a 60 min wait. I am more inclined to think that the ppl that will be waiting on the platform is the party of the person that needs the bathroom pass. :confused3
I'll do some math to show you where I'm coming from. I will be making a couple of assumptions.
1. DAS and the Bathroom Pass both work as intended and both times we board the ride at exactly 60 min.
2. My family tours the park as normal, which means we are together unless we are in the bathroom or in line for the bathroom.
3. I only have to make 1 run to the bathroom in either scenario.
4. DAS is obtained for my bathroom issues.
5 Assuming the bathroom pass is where you leave the line and rejoin your family on the loading platform.

I have a DAS and obtain a return time for RoRT, and we go off together, to wait for our return time. We find the nearest bathroom and we hang in that area. At the 15min mark I need to run to the bathroom. As in your example, above there is no line for the bathroom. I take 10min in the bathroom and rejoin my family. We finish our wait and return to RoRT, join the line, and board right at the 60min wait time that was posted when I obtained the return time.

Total time waited for the ride 60min.
Total time away from my family 10 min.

I obtain and bathroom pass and join the same 60min line for RoRT. Again at the 15 min mark I have to run to the bathroom. I take 10min in the bathroom and return to the ride to wait for my family to meet me on the loading platform. At the 60 min mark, I am reunited with my family on the loading platform and we board the ride.

Total time waited for the ride 60 min.
Total time away from my family 45min.
Total time in the bathroom 10min.

In both cases my whole family waits the 60 min. to board, just like anyone else with a DAS. We are together for 50min of that 60min wait, we just wait outside of the actual queue. With the bathroom pass we are only together for 15mins of the 60min wait. The remaining 45 min, my family is in the actual queue and I am waiting somewhere else. Of those 45 min, only 10 are spent with me in the bathroom. So I am separated from my family for an additional 35 mins with the bathroom pass that doesn't happen with the DAS. While 35 mins may not seem like a lot of time, that is just for 1 ride. The additional time spent away from my family increases each time I have to use the bathroom pass. Over the course of a week long vacation that can add up to a significant amount of time away from my family that those with the DAS don't have to experience.

We were at WDW when there was no FP+ and accessed the queues using DAS. While the lines were moving, the waits were still over 45 minutes for the main attractions. Some were still over an hour long. Not sure what your CM friend was trying to say?
It seems pretty obvious what they were saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter