Change in DAS at Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't the same be said of the DAS when used for someone whose disabilities manifest BECAUSE of the line? What about disabilities that manifest BECAUSE of the line make it so the whole family needs to wait in the alternative location? Wouldn't the same result be achieved by allowing the person covered by the DAS and a caregiver to wait in an alternative location and rejoin the family on the loading platform. The person who has the medical issue BECAUSE of the line gets to avoid the line and has a caregiver with them. Those not medically needing the accommodation wait in the standard line.
A person whose disability manifests because of the line is always going to have that problem, so they need to avoid, as much as possible, the line for every attraction. They need an accommodation every single time, so it makes no sense to split up the party.

Bathroom related disabilities, as well as some others, like diabetes, don’t necessarily manifest themselves every time. Someone with bathroom issues or diabetes may never have to have an accommodation, so it makes no sense to me to give them one for every attraction. They start out in the line, and if they need to leave, they can be accommodated. If they don’t have an issue , then no accommodation is required.

Not all accommodations keep the party together now, so I don’t see why this would be any different.

This is somewhat short sighted, some issues aren't if they happen or when they happen, some of them are like clockwork which need relief and then are good for a short while. If it's a certainty that you're going to need to leave the line due to an issue as such then there really is no difference. Waiting in the line causes the issue.

A person whose disability manifests because of the line is always going to have that problem, so they need to avoid, as much as possible, the line for every attraction. They need an accommodation every single time, so it makes no sense to split up the party.

Bathroom related disabilities, as well as some others, like diabetes, don’t necessarily manifest themselves every time. Someone with bathroom issues or diabetes may never have to have an accommodation, so it makes no sense to me to give them one for every attraction. They start out in the line, and if they need to leave, they can be accommodated. If they don’t have an issue , then no accommodation is required.

Not all accommodations keep the party together now, so I don’t see why this would be any different.
Plus it only includes 6 ppl, including the person that needs the DAS. So it's not like folks are bringing their whole extended family.

It sounds to me like what you are saying is that YOUR family's disability should qualify for DAS, but OTHER families' disabilities should not. How does another family's accommodation negatively affect YOU?

And we have no idea if Disney has made any, or plans to make any, changes to DAS. All we have is one report from one guest trying to visit DL.

This is somewhat short sighted, some issues aren't if they happen or when they happen, some of them are like clockwork which need relief and then are good for a short while. If it's a certainty that you're going to need to leave the line due to an issue as such then there really is no difference. Waiting in the line causes the issue.
I don’t see how lines make people have to go the bathroom. They either have to go or they don’t.

It sounds to me like what you are saying is that YOUR family's disability should qualify for DAS, but OTHER families' disabilities should not. How does another family's accommodation negatively affect YOU?

And we have no idea if Disney has made any, or plans to make any, changes to DAS. All we have is one report from one guest trying to visit DL.
Wrong . My family member has used the DAS on occasion for Crohn’s, and she would much use a system that allows her to leave the lline IF she needs to.

And here’s some news for you - use of the DAS by people who could be accommodated in other ways affects EVERYONE in the parks, especially the ones who actually need a DAS.

Wrong . My family member has used the DAS on occasion for Crohn’s, and she would much use a system that allows her to leave the lline IF she needs to.

And here’s some news for you - use of the DAS by people who could be accommodated in other ways affects EVERYONE in the parks, especially the ones who actually need a DAS.
Your family member is free to decline the DAS if she doesn't like it. For my family member it has made all the difference for them. Thankfully none of us are the decider of who "needs" the DAS.

Your family member is free to decline the DAS if she doesn't like it. For my family member it has made all the difference for them. Thankfully none of us are the decider of who "needs" the DAS.
As it is the only accommodation available for now, she’ll continue to use it when needed. But she is going to ask on her next trip if there is a new accommodation for bathroom issues.

And if your family member is eventually denied a DAS, they will be free to forego option to leave the line if they need a restroom

No we have more than that.

Dates back to February when DL started making rumble about changes concerning bathroom issues. People spoke about WDW as well

https://www.disboards.com/threads/c...-issued-based-on-needs-not-diagnosis.3910846/

I'm not going to go through more and more stuff but it's not new (the adjustments being looked at for bathroom) nor is it just one guest.

I can only somewhat speculate here but if anxiety over being in a long line creates the body to flare up the issue isn't the bathroom issue it's the anxiety. I can read that as very different than an unpredictable bathroom situation.

If however we're talking about a sudden onset occurring you won't accurately be able to predict if that occurs in a line that you waited 20 mins as opposed to 50 mins (random numbers). I think that's why the poster was saying if you have to go you'll have to go because you could easily need to go in a line that you waited only 20 mins in but not need to go in a line you waited 50 mins in.

This is why it's usually stated over and over to be need based rather than just saying what your disability is. Some people even with bathroom issues may still qualify for DAS under Disney's current way of doing it while others who used to be may not be.

I can only somewhat speculate here but if anxiety over being in a long line creates the body to flare up the issue isn't the bathroom issue it's the anxiety. I can read that as very different than an unpredictable bathroom situation.

If however we're talking about a sudden onset occurring you won't accurately be able to predict if that occurs in a line that you waited 20 mins as opposed to 50 mins (random numbers). I think that's why the poster was saying if you have to go you'll have to go because you could easily need to go in a line that you waited only 20 mins in but not need to go in a line you waited 50 mins in.

This is why it's usually stated over and over to be need based rather than just saying what your disability is. Some people even with bathroom issues may still qualify for DAS under Disney's current way of doing it while others who used to be may not be.
This is true. When my daughter is flaring her anxiety spikes which causes a vicious cycle of continued issues. Once we get her inflammation and flare under control she might still have anxiety related bathroom issues (including frequency, urgency or even nausea). Luckily for her once she has a few days of “normal” the anxiety starts to abate.

But anxiety over being in line because of a medical issue that might happen and might not be able to be attended to promptly is different than just bladder incontinence or urgency or other physical bathroom issues.

I don’t see how lines make people have to go the bathroom. They either have to go or they don’t.

This is a bold comment to make. My Mom suffers from IBS and in her words “when she’s gotta go, she’s gotta go.” Even at home, occasionally she will be sitting at the kitchen table and then suddenly she has to run to the bathroom. Lines don’t *make* people have to go. But, when someone DOES have to go, it’s not very convenient to have to weave in and out through a line of hundreds of people to get to the nearest bathroom. Not to mention, when the person is trying to get back in line - would love to see how this ACTUALLY works. The DAS pass is helpful in the sense of when it is time to get in line, the wait is usually no more than 5 minutes.

My comment had a base meaning - the time waiting produces the issue. I don't know about you but not being able to move tends to exacerbate my symptoms but I also have a good deal of anxiety so I stress about it, leading to more complications.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. I didn’t think Disney would or could discriminate on someones medical needs without the intervention from a qualified doctor.

Universal Studios have just brought in a third party to deal with their Accessibility Card (IBCCES) who are medically qualified to approve/disapprove someone’s medical condition by asking for a doctors letter or diagnosis/proof of disability and reasons for not being able to stand in line. A very fair system that will hopefully cut the abuse. Hopefully Disney will go down this route.
There is a lot of discussion on the Universal thread about this. I hope Disney does NOT go down this route for the reasons discussed in that thread. (Please discuss in that thread)
Again, just to clarify... there is no medical personnel involved in determining accommodations -- whether that's the DAS at WDW or an AAP at Universal or other theme parks. The individual has to be able to explain their needs. Medical personnel is not required to determine that for the parks; accommodations can/do vary and accommodation may be based on operational needs.

Some theme parks have put in a step to require documentation of a disability such as Universal's new procedure. However to my knowledge that is not medically reviewed in any fashion, it is simply a check that the documentation is from a medical provider, school or government entity and includes a diagnosis of a disability. No verification of fact or logic of how that stated disability should/could/would be accommodated.
Agree totallly

Agreed. And if Disney changed the rules so only the person with the disability (plus one parent, guardian or caregiver if necessary) was allowed to bypass the line, meeting the rest of the party at the boarding area, that would probably be the single most effective way to reduce abuse of the system.
That would be a total mess. Attractions differ, but most do not have space to have large groups of guests waiting at the boarding area or ways/access points to bring one or 2 guests who bypassed the line there to meet them
This is very true, but I do have to think the one size fits all approach doesn't work either. Prior to the current system, they had cards with stamps for various needs.

Now this became problematic as CMs ended up treating most of them like front of the line passes, but I think a mixture of the intention behind the old system and the current system would be the most ideal.

For example:
  • There was a stamp to avoid stairs, which meant the pass only worked where there were stairs, combine that with getting a return time at attractions with stairs. And yes, some people could handle stairs during an emergency, but not on a regular basis all day.
  • There was a stamp for those with visual impairments, which may have indicated to the CM that the person may need someone to guide them through a dark queue. Again, you would want to do a return time so that the CM doesn't need to be away for the entire length of the queue, just the alternate queue. It also let the CMs know that the person likely needed the front row or a specific row at shows, so they could be accommodated accordingly.
  • There was a stamp for those that needed alternate entrances, this would work just like the DAS does today.
  • They could have one for bathroom issues that would work differently according to the queue setup.
  • A stamp that allows the use of ADA viewing areas at parades, etc. without having a mobility device (Speaking of which, they really need ADA viewing areas at all parades, shows, fireworks, etc.)
The bottom line is by going back to the idea of different "stamps" (would likely be all digital today), the accommodations could be adjusted more to the needs of the individual and provided only where necessary, as many may not need accommodations at every attraction. Combining this approach with the return times should dramatically reduce abuse of the system.

Another alternative would be completely eliminate standby lines, provide return times with say 15-30 minute return windows, then offer larger windows for those with needs that may make such short return windows not workable. Of course this eliminates the revenue stream of Genie+.
One of the main issues with the previous Guest Assistance Card (GAC) was all the different stamps. There was not an easy way to operationalize the different stamps. And, many people had multiple stamps, that might even be contradictory and both stamps couldn’t be met at the same time.depending on how the attraction was set up.

Maybe, now with all the computerization, there would be a way to pull up the guest as they scan into the attraction and have the system come up with the correct process for that attraction. Even if it could, I couldn’t see Disney going back to a system like that.

The bigger issue was guests having ‘tantrums’ in Guest Relations to get the GAC stamps that gave the quickest access....that meant huge numbers of people with alternate entry stamps instead of a manageable number. There were also people who demanded (and got) the stamp that was meant for kid on Make a Wish trips.

It seems pretty obvious what they were saying.
Not to me, which is why I asked. Your CM friend could tell just by looking who needed DAS and who didn't? How many guests were in the FP queue at the time? When we were there, most times we were the only ones using the FP queue. Twice, people in standby asked us if FP was operational again. Were they not offering passes for when a ride shut down, or any other access to the FP queues?
I think all they were saying is, for the most part the only people in the LL/Genie+ line at that time were DAS users...which made it very easy to see how many people were using that specific pass, and gave the CM friend a better perception of how much abuse of the system could be happening.
Thank you for that input. We very often were the only guests in the FP queue during our week-long trip. which was during the mask mandate. Attendance was low, but still, some of the queues had 45 minute waits. I'm still not seeing how a CM could have any perception of abuse from the situation. If anything, fewer people would be abusing the system, since the lines were constantly moving.

Not to me, which is why I asked. Your CM friend could tell just by looking who needed DAS and who didn't? How many guests were in the FP queue at the time? When we were there, most times we were the only ones using the FP queue. Twice, people in standby asked us if FP was operational again. Were they not offering passes for when a ride shut down, or any other access to the FP queues?
Again you're looking at it from your trip they are looking at it from being there on the daily. No need to take their observation personal especially if you feel you utilize it appropriately, they aren't talking about you.

FP lanes were primarily utilized for DAS during that. And please no need to call the CM a liar, quite rude of you to do so. I have known them for years and they aren't some bus driver type thing. Disagree if you want but don't call them a liar.

This is a bold comment to make. My Mom suffers from IBS and in her words “when she’s gotta go, she’s gotta go.” Even at home, occasionally she will be sitting at the kitchen table and then suddenly she has to run to the bathroom. Lines don’t *make* people have to go. But, when someone DOES have to go, it’s not very convenient to have to weave in and out through a line of hundreds of people to get to the nearest bathroom. Not to mention, when the person is trying to get back in line - would love to see how this ACTUALLY works. The DAS pass is helpful in the sense of when it is time to get in line, the wait is usually no more than 5 minutes.
Especially if they are using a EVC.

My DH doesn't have IBS, but there are times, we are watching a movie on tv, he goes to bathroom three or four times. Other times I'm shocked he made it through a whole movie without needing to go.

At disney, the normal plan is bathroom, ride, bathroom, ride.bathroom , monorail, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter