• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Change of plans; help me think this through

HunnyPots

DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple>The Tag Fairy is
We have just been informed that we can no longer take our kids out for vacations; they would be unexcused and no make-up allowed. So there go my plans for April 27-May3, 2002! :mad:
So now we re-think things. They do not go back to school after Christmas until January 7 so I am considering Jan.1 - Jan 6. What do you think? Of course we could go during Spring break which is the second week in March, but I've heard horror stories about the crowds during that time, not to mention that it is peak season as far as accomodations.
If we go in January, will there be enough of the parks open to get our money's worth? I'd heard that's when most attractions get renovated, or whatever.
I know there is always summer but I don't think it would work for us. My 10 year old ds does not cope well with high temperatures and is very prone to dehydration heat stroke; been there, done that, it's no fun!
So what do you think? Could this work out?
We're first-timers and I want this to be a real knock-out vacation. Is there hope?
Sorry if I whine...

First of all, I don't think you are whining at all, it is disappointing, especially since it is your first trip.

Now as far as planning for your trip. I would choose Spring Break. I do not like the cold at all. Sometimes, even in Florida, the weather can get really, really cold. I wouldn't want to be touring the parks then. The days are short too. In general, I just like to hibernate for the winter.

If you can stand the crowds, Spring Break would be great. Everything is open later, the days are longer and the weather is alot warmer.

I hope you get lots of responses from people who have gone both in the winter and at Spring Break. Because of my work schedule, I can only ever go in the summer or over Christmas or Easter weeks. Maybe one year we will brave the Easter crowds.

Enjoy planning and I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Here's a thought of mine that may or may not interest you, but it comes from someone who is also very prone to dehydration and extremely heat sensitive.

Have you considered Disneyland where temperatures and humidity are often at quite tolerable levels? While not as extensive as WDW, it does still provide a very enjoyable family vacation with some of the same attractions.

Could you possibly go later in May, say after most of the school work has been turned in? Some kids we've known go about a week and a half before school is out. The grades have already been turned in and at that point they really can't do much. This would only delay your trip by a few weeks.

bexareaglecheryl,
No, actually our local schools have final exams the last week of school. Missing that many days, unexcused, at any time of the year would cause them to have to go to summer school or be retained. UGH!
Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions. I appreciate them all!

We have gone over Thanksgiving several times and really enjoy that time, the kids have sometime off!

I would vote for the Jan, trip of the 2 you are thinking about - I would not be able to handle the crowds and heat!

Spring Break is Peak Season!! It will cost a fortune!!
[personal experence!!!!]

I would go in January as long as it is value season!!!
And You will get more done in the parks when crowds are low!! And if your family can do EE mornings or E- nights you will get alot done!!! No One gets it all done!

And the weather isn't that bad!!:) After all it is Florida!!:bounce:

We have went I think in every season & holiday possible, but I still love the "off" season best. My family consists of DH, DD(6) & DS(16). We went the 2nd week in Jan of this year. Granted the parks close earlier, but that gave us time to check-out Downtown Disney & DisneyQuest (which was not crowded at all!!). We hit it just perfect weather wise too, the entire time we were there it didn't rain & was about 70-75 during the day. Perfect for running around the parks. We are leaving right after July 4 and I am not looking forward to all the crowds, it really spoils you once you have been there when it is not crowded. We actually walked right on every ride we wanted during our last trip. I LOVED it!!
Too bad about having to change your orignal plans though, but I am sure you'll figure out something!

My dw is a teacher so I know your situation well. She will be on maternity leave soon, so we have also considered the off season options. Here are my $.02.

First question - do your schools have a mid winter recess? In New York this is often a week in February around Presidents Day. If so, it may be a better idea than Jan. Weather would be hit or miss - but still better than Jan. Parks would be open later as it is a vacation period. We have been then and the crowds were not as bad as Spring Break.

Other than that - we have been to WDW Feb, Spring Break, summer, Christmas (all peak) and this year will go after Thanksgiving (off peak) and all things considered I would go with Spring Break. Yes there are big crowds. Do not go to MK on Easter Day!!!. However, with good planning and a strategy the crowds can be managed. Get some guidebooks for advice on touring strategies ( I like the Unofficial Guide for this purpose), be at the parks WHEN THEY OPEN, leave mid day when the parks get very crowded and go to the hotel for a swim (recommend staying on site), go back to the parks in the late afternoon. We have traditionally gone during the busy times - but we really never wait on long lines because we plan ahead, are flexible, and expect to deal with the crowds.

Despite the crowds, there are a lot of benefits to going in peak season. The parks are open late and there is MUCH MORE entertainment available. There is something to be said for being at MK at midnight if you can make it that long.

We are actually going the week after Thanksgiving this year. It will be nice to be there during an off peak time to see WDW without crowds. However, we probably won't get to see Spectromagic at MK, and unless there is a MVMCP during our stay, no MK night time parades or fireworks at all. How sad this will be. If not for the fact that WDW will be all decked out for Christmas when we go I doubt we would go off season. If this is your first trip and you go off season there is the possibility you may not see some wonderful things.

The January weather could be another factor. We were at WDW for Christmas last year and it was COLD. If you go in Jan you may not get to enjoy any of the waterparks. Again, if you have never been they are very neat to see. The weather during spring break is usually the best Florida has to offer.

Hopefully you can find some discounts if you do go peak season. Maybe there will be codes. DC or Entertainment could provide a discount (Entertainment discount is substantial at Swan/Dolphin if it applies).

Hope this is helpful. Good luck with your decision.

Boy it's funny you should have said that about your school system. Mine is the same way! No extra vacation time or else. So I have the same delimma you do. When do you go to WDW to have the least crowds and best prices? I've about decided that the last week in May to the first week in June is a prime time to go for the water parks and least crowding during summer time (of course that's a laugh because it still is crowded!). But after the above poster's reply I might reconsider March. Yes I know it's crowded and it's peak time! But there might be a tradeoff here. Less of that brutal sun and humidity might be a plus. Oh what to do, what to do.

I'd go in January, everything is soooo much cheaper and there are virtually no crowds! And the time you are counting on there are still decorations up (I think they take down the Xmas decorations after Jan. 6). The weather is wonderful! I personally like it cold but the days are warm but the nights get chilly (make sure to take a jacket, hat and gloves, they're hard to find down there) but the lack of crowds make up for everything. Now Downtown Disney has Disney Quest, and Cirque de Soleil that should interest your children and have you considered visiting a day or 2 at Universal Studios and IOA? Just because the park hours are less doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself, even at that time there were children in the pools at all hours (I stayed at the ASMo, they have heated pools) and they all seemed to be having a wonderful time. If money is a concern I would definitely vote for Jan. 1-6. Either way whenever you go you should have a wonderful time! Good luck in your decision.:p :p :p :p :p :p :cool: :p :p :p :p :p

We've gone the last three years during that same spring break week and I swear it gets busier every year. Since we go so often, we tend to spend more time at our resort, DTD etc. thus avoiding the crowds, but if you really want to see the parks, I would vote for early January. You probably won't have swimming weather, but on a first trip you'll find so much to do in the parks that swimming probably won't be a huge priority.

PoohBWV

THINK ABOUT THIS SPRING BREAK 2001 MAR 23-APR 7,2001 [ONLY TIME WE COULD GO DUE TO DD'S SCHOOL] PLANNED $4000. IT WENT UP TO $7000.00 DUE TO PEAK SEASON!!ouch!ouch!

Well, I guess it's January for us. The spring break prices pretty much sealed the deal! I just hope it's warm enough for splash mountain. Now, if we can just get some decent air fairs. Thanks for all your help!

I received excellent airfares by signing up to Delta and other airline frequent flyer clubs, they cost nothing and give you the opportunity to accumulate towards a free ticket or an upgrade. Most airlines are online now and also www.cheaptickets.com is very good (got a wonderful deal for my sister coming from Puerto Rico to Florida under $250) and also try the others expedia.com, travelocity.com. My advice is log on every day for a week and compare prices NOW, you'll get a better fare the earlier you buy the ticket. Hope this helps you!
:p :bounce: :p :bounce: :p :bounce: :p :bounce: :p :bounce:

I have gone several times in January and enjoyed myself ech time. The prices are lower and althought the park hours might be shorter you actually see more, with less hassle. It may be cold and it may be comfortable- hopefully you will get lucky.

Wouldn't go in Jan though if swimming is a big part of your trip. Now we go in summer because the kids love the pools.

If it is cold when you go on SM wear a poncho or sit in the second row of seats. You won't get wet and it will be fun. We always go during the summer but we don't go to the parks during the day time hours. We head to the parks at 4PM and stay till closing. Our children are older though so that may not be an option for you. I think January would be wonderful and something to look forward to after the Christmas let down.

Have you thought about late May about five minutes after the kids get out of school? We're in Oklahoma and can't pull kids from school, either. We've gone several times the 3rd or 4th week of May (usually end of 3rd week, beginning of 4th before the Memorial Day crowds). When OK and Texas get out of school, usually the schools up north are still in session. So, while it's just starting to get crowded, it's not nearly what it will be by the 3rd week of June. Not quite as hot as later in the summer either. High season doesn't technically start 'til June 1st, either, so there are some good deals to be found.

That being said, we've also gone 1st week of January and found it absolutely delightful in terms of light crowds, still some Christmas decor up and cooler temps. Do be aware that the parks are NOT open as late, which may give you less time there.

I'm just curious which school district you're in. I thought of doing the same thing next year, perhaps. Have you thought about going during one of those Monday holidays like Presidents Day or MLK day or even in Oct during Columbus day. I seem to remember that one of those Monday holidays (in October, I believe) there was even a teacher service holiday on Friday which gave them a 4-day weekend. If you did this, perhaps you could pull them out on a Thursday and the following Tuesday. What is the penalty for losing 2 days? Also, I noticed that the last week of school for my son (which was only Tue, Wed, and Thur after Mem. weekend) they did absolutely NOTHING, but play...bowling one day, field day another, videos another, etc. I kept thinking what in the world would they miss academically if they just didn't go the last week of school. What would they have to "make up"? So I am considering that, although Mem. weekend, I hear, can be crazy, too.

:p the only thing about going Jan1 thru & is the parks close early,no night parades,so nightly fireworks,i would take them in may ,fly after school thurs,you will have all day fri,sat,sun,fly home mon eve,and they have only missed 2 days of school. How old are your children ?I always took my children out of school every yr ,i might add ,to go to disneyWORLD,and the educators thought it was great and always worked with me,Disney world is very educating!:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter